The Hunter becomes the Hunted

rufusluciusivan

Post by rufusluciusivan »

Well, now I can say it without spoiling the surprise, but as you guys have probably already guessed, this story was inspired by trackman’s recent post about the latest Spider-Man videogame.

This is the sequel of this story: viewtopic.php?t=9070

Today truly is a bad day. I wish I could just go back to bed...

And I already know what you’re thinking. You’ve chosen to be a crime-fighter. Isn’t it a bit unprofessional to complain like that?

Oh, sure, it takes dedication to become a crime-fighter. One doesn’t choose this path if they’re not passionate. (Clearly, it’s not for the money, as my latest encounter with Nick Fury demonstrated.) However, even the most passionate defenders of justice can be fed up with their lot in life sometimes.

The watchwoman’s shoes are too tight. So is her shirt. My feet are killing me. It’s the middle of the night. I had to work late today, and was denied my beauty sleep. I’m tired. I’m thirsty. And I’m not entirely convinced Felicia’s story is true.

I have every reason to be in a bad mood.

“Nyah… Nyah… Nyah… Look at me, I’m Black Cat. My silver hair shine under the pale moonlight.” I mumble to myself. “I’m super agile and super smart and super sexy and super everything… But what’s important is that I’m oh-so-better-than-you! Now go and be a good little decoy so I can hog all the glory while you do the hard work…”

Don’t judge me. I need to vent my frustration. Sure, it’s childish. But it feels so good!

I’m walking the trail in-between the attractions. The lamps are alight. (Felicia told me the owner was hoping to re-open his theme park, and therefore was still paying for its electricity.) I don’t dare to imagine the waste of energy… I don’t know who’s the owner of Adventure Paradise, but they clearly have money to waste. At least only the trail is alight. They don’t spend money to lit the attractions.

As a theme park taking inspiration from adventure movies, Adventure Paradise features a lot of trees and bushes, to remind of movie jungles and the likes.

Felicia is discreetly following me, using the cover of the night and the vegetation to not be spotted by eventual Hunters.

At least, I suppose that’s what she’s doing. I admit I don’t hear or see anything betraying her presence. Which is a good thing, I guess.

Unless, of course, if she’s having fun at my expense, Gwen and the others aren’t in danger, and she lured me into an elaborate prank.

I hate theme parks. They’re always so expensive. And their mascots always look so creepy. Adventure Paradise isn’t any different. On each attraction, I see the painting of an anthropomorphic crocodile who’s supposed to be cute – but his huge toothy smile is more unnerving than amusing if you ask me. Of course, the night doesn’t help him look any less scary.

“I hereby dub you ‘Creepy Croc’, the bane of children’s nightmares.”

I’m talking to theme park mascots. I must be very tired. Either that, or I’m turning crazy.

I pray we find our friends soon.

I pass near an other grove of trees. (How many of those are there? Does the owner also still employ a gardener?) Fake skeletons are hung on the branches. Charming...

I hear the snap of a twig.

I’m about to ask Felicia if that was her, but I clamp a hand over my mouth just in time.

Talk about dodging a goof! The whole point of my disguise is to allow Felicia to sneak around unnoticed. Calling her directly is the last thing to do right now.

Still, I’m sure I heard something. Suddenly, I regret only the trail is alight.

I look left and right.

Nothing but darkness, and leaves. (And a statue of my new pal ‘Creepy Croc’.)

I relax slightly.

I turn around to resume my walk.

Then, I feel a knife held against my throat.

“Not a sound.” a female voice whispers in my ear.

The woman is standing behind me. I didn’t hear her approach.

I remember I have to play the part of the clumsy bystander.

“O- Okay...”

I confess it’s easy to sound scared when someone holds a knife near your throat.

No need to be a genius to understand I’ve come across one of Kraven’s Hunters.

At least Felicia was telling the truth. Hurrah...

“So there was a watchwoman. Kraven was right, as always.” a second voice suddenly comments.

An other Hunter walks out of the shadows.

I gulp. Before she talked, I hadn’t noticed her presence, even though she was literally next to me.

I wonder how long the two Hunters have been observing in the shadows, with me none the wiser, before they decided to strike. Had they wanted me dead, I probably wouldn’t even had had the opportunity to defend myself.

It’s my first time facing the Hunters. I heard about their threat from Peter and Gwen, but no tale could prepare me to face the real deal. Hearing that some people are dangerous is one thing, witnessing it first hand is another...

“Good work, apprentice.” the second Hunter adds.

The woman has a thick accent – Eastern Europe I’d wager. She looks intimidating: tall muscular figure, icy blue eyes, short brown hair, pale white skin, and green tribal-like paintings on her face and arms.

She’s wearing thick black combat boots, dark brown camouflage trousers, a brown sleeveless tactical jacket over a black t-shirt, black gloves, and brown protective gears around the forearms. A brown leather cowl is covering her head and shoulders. Her outfit leaves her upper-arms bare to show off her paintings. A pelt is wrapped around her shoulders.

I notice the feral grin of the young woman who captured me. I shudder.

The apprentice Hunter is younger – close to my age in fact. Her shoulder-long hair are light blond, and braided. Her eyes are deep green, and her skin is white. Most likely from Eastern Europe as well. She’s of average height, but thin and curvy, with an athletic-looking body. In fact, she would have looked stunning – in an ‘Ice Queen’ kind of way – without the unhinged animal-like glimmer in her eyes and the scary tribal-like paintings on her face and arms.

She’s wearing clothes almost similar to her master: black combat boots, dark brown camouflage trousers, a brown sleeveless tactical jacket over a black t-shirt, black gloves, brown protective gears around the forearms, and a brown leather cowl is covering her head and shoulders. There is one key difference though – she doesn’t have a pelt. Most likely to show her lower rank.

I try to reassure myself with the fact Felicia is most likely nearby, using my distraction to set up an ambush. (It doesn’t work by the way.) Still, I play the part of the frightened bystander.

“What are you going to do with me?”

The experienced Hunter looks at me from head to toe. She’s unimpressed.

“We do not sully our blades with the blood of sheep. We are Hunters. Not farmers.” She looks at her apprentice. “Put her in the cage.”

Ouch! A blow straight to my ego! I refrain myself from retorting something. Did she have to be so dismissive? I’m trying my best! Not everyone has the luck to have super-powers, or the free time to train all day until they turn their body into an unstoppable killing machine. I have a rent to pay, you know!

Of course, I wisely keep quiet. Never question a girl with a knife, I always say.

The two Hunters lead me away from the path, in-between some bushes.

Concealed by the foliage, there is a tent in the middle of a small clearing, with military equipment inside – notably a radio on a metal table. Next to it, there is a zoo cage, and an empty container – which had probably been used to carry said tent, cage, and equipment. I suspect a jeep is parked nearby.

The experienced Hunter leaves me under the watch of her apprentice while she grabs the military radio.

“Vika. It’s Zora. We caught the watchwoman. Tell Kraven nothing will interrupt his hunt.”

“Good work. Congratulations to your apprentice. Stand guard here till the hunt is finished. Vika, over.”

“Understood. Zora, over.”

She shuts down her radio, and turns towards the rookie Hunter.

“Ludmilla. The captain is satisfied with you. You may be ready for your initiation.”

The apprentice Hunter has a predatory smile that sends shivers down my spine. Then she makes me walk towards the cage. Her master watches her.

It’s the moment Felicia chooses to silently cut a hole through the tent’s fabric with retractable claws. Then she jumps through the hole, and pounces on the experienced Hunter’s back, as agile as her namesake. She wraps her arms around Zora’s throat, and squeezes.

“Gark?”

Ludmilla reflexively turns her head when she hears the commotion. Big mistake, as it means she stops paying attention to me. She probably thinks I’m an untrained college girl taking this job to pay her studies. Someone not competent enough to see an opening in a fight. (Though to be fair to her, the real watchwoman was exactly that.)

Unluckily for Ludmilla, she’s facing Mary-Jane Watson tonight. The moment she stops holding her knife near my throat, I swiftly move my head backwards, hitting her in the head with my skull.

“Ow!” Ludmilla groans.

I ignore the pain in the back of my head, and immediately hit her in the stomach with my elbow.

Dazed, the breath knocked out of her, the apprentice Hunter moans in pain, and staggers backwards.

I grab the stun gun concealed under my clothes, and immediately hit Ludmilla in the exposed side of her neck, releasing red lightnings that knock her out instantly.

“Uuuuuurh-uhh...”

The apprentice Hunter falls on her right side with a dull thud, curls up reflexively, and remains still.

I carefully approach Zora and Felicia, in case the latter needs my help. (Hopefully, I can ‘accidentally’ give her a jolt when I neutralize the Hunter – not enough to knock Felicia out, but enough to make her pay for using me as a decoy.)

However, Black Cat doesn’t need my assistance. Zora is a trained woman, but when Felicia ambushes someone, she takes more after a tigress than a house cat.

“Tell me Zora. When does the predator become a prey?” Felicia whispers through gritted teeth to the woman she’s choking.

I’m a bit surprised by the venom I hear in her voice. Apparently, she has a personal vendetta against this Hunter.

Of course, Zora can’t really answer anything, save for a couple of gurgled gasps.

“It’s when they’re so distracted by their latest catch they don’t notice the other predator sneaking behind them.” Black Cat concludes.

Zora’s body ultimately gives up because of the lack of oxygen. She slumps into her mugger’s arms.

Felicia drops the limp woman onto the ground. The Hunter lands face first on the grass with a dull sound.

Black Cat notices I’m glaring.

“I had a score to settle with that one. She was part of the ones who hunted me when they captured me.”

Her voice is cold.

“Did you-” I hesitate to look at Zora.

“Of course not. But I wasn’t gentle.”

Felicia rummages through the equipment inside the tent, and grabs a tranquilizing dart. She jabs it in Zora’s neck. The Hunter has a brief spasm, then her body relaxes.

“That will keep her out of commission for the rest of the night. How long does your stun gun last?”

“They said an hour.” I also take a tranquilizing dart. “It doesn’t hurt to be cautious.”

Felicia nods. She grabs Zora’s right leg, and starts unlacing the woman’s boot.

“You’ll take the apprentice’s clothes. You’re not agile enough to impersonate an experienced Hunter. They’ll see something’s amiss just by the way you walk.”

Under normal circumstances, I’d have argued with her, even though she was right. (Especially because she was right.) However, time is of the essence. We need to save Gwen, Peter, and Miles. Plus, Felicia actually scares me right now.

I tranquilize Ludmilla, then also begin to strip her. I start by taking off the boots.

“I’m sorry.”

Felicia’s words take me by surprise.

I glance at her. “Uh?”

“Don’t expect me to repeat myself. I won’t.” Black Cat unzips, and pulls off Zora’s sleeveless jacket. “I thought I could intercept them before they reached you.”

I remain silent, and opt to slip Ludmilla’s trousers off her legs. What can I even say? I’m not used to see Felicia act nice with me. It’s unnerving.

Though if I needed one more proof our enemies are dangerous, I just got it. Nothing but the direst threat could make Black Cat temporarily bury the hatchet with me.

Once I’m done stripping Ludmilla, I leave the blond apprentice Hunter clad in icy blue boyshorts, a matching sports bra, a grey tank top adorned with the picture of a green puma, and black socks.

Felicia finishes at the same time as me. I notice Zora is wearing plain white underwear – socks, boxer undershorts, t-shirt bra, and tank top. She must be Russian.

The one good thing about the Hunters is that they always carry tools to restrain captured people. Inside the tent, we discover a literal collection of handcuffs, ropes, and zip-ties.

We cuff each woman’s wrists behind her back, then we add a zip-tie in case the Hunters know a way to easily disable their handcuffs. We similarly restrain each woman’s ankles. Finally, we use ropes to immobilize the thighs and the upper-arms.

Under the table, we even find tools the Hunters use to gag prisoners – some muzzle-like devices meant to silence humans and immobilize their lower-face. Therefore, we muzzle-gag Zora and her apprentice.

To conceal the two women, we decide to use the empty container near the tent. Felicia grabs Zora first, and throws her inside. Then, she drops Ludmilla over her, before closing the lid to conceal the two women.

Next, we quickly get dressed in the Hunters’ garbs. Felicia will use Zora’s pelt to conceal her backpack. We'll most likely need her tools.

Among the equipment inside the tent, we’re lucky to find the paint they use for their arms and faces. Technically, since we’re in the middle of the night, we may not have needed them. However, it doesn’t hurt to be cautious. The devil is in the details.

Working as a pair makes it easier. Each one can apply the green paint on the other’s face.

“You better not draw something lewd on my face.” Felicia warns me.

I confess I’m relieved to see she’s back to her normal sarcastic self. ‘Cold Black Cat’ is a scary sight, and ‘Nice Black Cat’ unnerves me.

“I’m too old to draw dicks on people like some frat boy at a party.” I retort.

Once the paintings are applied, Gwen rummages through her backpack and hands me a blond wig. She takes a brown one for herself.

We both put on our wig, then use the hoods to conceal our heads and faces. Thanks to the cover of the night, we’ll be able to fool the other Hunters – provided they don’t look at us from too close.

“For someone so meticulous, Kraven’s being pretty careless to include a hood in his Hunters’ garb.” I comment.

Felicia shrugs. “Even the best villains have their little quirks we can exploit.”

She conceals her backpack under the pelt, and grabs a crossbow designed to shoot tranquilizing bolts. I follow her example, more as a way to perfect my disguise since I already have my stun gun.

Felicia takes the lead. I’m a bit impressed by how good she is at mimicking the Hunters’ way of walking. (I would never admit it out loud of course.) I follow her, trying to imitate her.

Our disguises allow us to walk faster in the open. I don’t see any other Hunter, though I’m aware it doesn’t mean much. Still, Felicia doesn’t look worried, and I don’t break our cover by asking her questions.

Adventure Paradise is structured like one huge circle, cut into two parts by a river. Several rope bridges allow to cross it.

When we reach the nearest one, we come across our first problem.

Two Hunters are standing guard in front of the bridge. Both come from the same mold as Zora. They are tall, athletic-looking, and intimidating, with short haircuts and grim snarls. One has black hair, the other has auburn hair.

I wish we could avoid them, but their mere presence is a dead ringer that Peter, Gwen, and Miles are held prisoner on the other side of this bridge.

Felicia adjusts her hood. I do the same. Then we walk past the Hunters.

The two women are talking with each other.

“Tonight’s hunt will be memorable…” the auburn-haired one is commenting. “I’m sure Kraven will be satisfied this time.”

They briefly glance at us, but don’t comment on our presence.

However, just as I pass next to them, the black-haired Hunter takes a second-glance at me.

“Hey, you-”

Felicia moves before she can finish her sentence. She hits the Hunter’s neck with the butt of her crossbow. The woman falls face first with a grunt, knocked out cold.

The auburn-haired Hunter points her own crossbow at my partner.

I hit her neck with my stun gun, and release the red jolt.

SHIELD’s finest, baby! Strong enough to go through the clothes!

“Ark! Aaaaaahhh...”

The Hunter groans. I catch her falling unconscious body, and lay her on her back.

Felicia grabs two tranquilizing bolts in the quiver of the woman she just knocked out. She hands me one, then jabs hers in the shoulder of her Hunter. I do the same with mine.

“She must have caught on some flaws in our disguises.” Black Cat laconically comments as she drags the black-haired Hunter by the legs behind some bushes.

I do the same with auburn-haired one.

We don’t waste time. Felicia carries zip-ties in her backpack. We bind each woman’s wrists and ankles. The tranquilizing bolts should keep them out of commission for hours, but we can’t rule out the possibility one has a stronger constitution and wakes up earlier. Strips of the women’s clothes make for good makeshift gags. We leave the two sentries concealed under the bushes.

Then we resume our walk, confident we’re approaching our destination.

When we see the big military tent in the middle of an empty lion den, we realize we’ve reached Kraven’s command center. There are several containers and cages next to the tent, and a couple of jeeps are parked nearby. A generating set has been assembled. Many cables are connected to it, no doubt to power up the devices Kraven will use to make his hunt more interesting.

Groups of Hunters are scattered across the area, either patrolling or making the last preparations for their leader’s game. Kraven himself is nowhere to be seen – thank God! According to Felicia, he usually meditates right before a hunt.

We don’t see any sign of Peter, Gwen, or Miles however.

“Maybe they are inside the tent… Or at least there’s a clue there…” Felicia proposes.

Of course. Why would it be easy?

We enter the lion den. We’re careful to keep our distance with other Hunters. Thankfully, this time we don’t need to walk near a group of them to progress, and they’re too busy to pay us attention.

No guard is stationed around the tent itself. Therefore, we sneak inside.

There are many things – cables, military equipment, and empty crates. Even a suitcase, which almost looks out of place. But still no Spider-Person.

On the opposite side of the tent, the Hunters have what I can only call the ‘geek corner’. Several computers and screens on a large metal table, with many cables connecting the computer equipment with other parts of the area.

From the distance, I see one screen is showing the whereabouts of Peter, Gwen and Miles. Felicia and I however resist the urge to rush and get a closer look.

We’re not alone in the tent.

The woman sitting behind the computer screens sticks out like a sore thumb among Kraven’s goons.

Indeed, while the Hunters look like a sect of feral mercenaries, this woman is desperately trying to look “hip” and “with it”. If you need one proof, she’s wearing sunglasses in the middle of the night.

She’s also clad in a black leather jacket with metal studs on the collar and lapel, a checkered red scarf, a white t-shirt, a brown leather belt, black trousers, and black sneakers. She has a white skin, and black hair. Her hairdo is a chin-long square cut.

I recognize Trapstr. (Yes, the spelling error is part of her name.)

Known for making her debut using a paste gun, and somehow getting the drop on Spider-Man and Vulture while they were fighting. She has since realized being known as ‘the baddie who uses superglue’ is pretty lame, so she has changed her shtick. She still uses the paste gun, for some reasons unknown to me. (Maybe it holds sentimental value?) However, she has found her calling as a tech-based villain. She designs apps, uses drones, can help you with computer problems… That kind of thing.

We duck behind some crates when we realize Trapstr isn’t alone. A woman dressed as a Hunter captain is standing nearby. Thankfully, she’s busy talking in a military radio, so she didn’t notice us.

“…making the final preparations. The hunt can begin soon. Vika, over.”

So this is the captain for whom Zora and Ludmilla were working.

Vika has a white skin, shaggy neck-long dark brown hair, and dark brown eyes. Her torso and back are protected by some sort of dull orange body armor – which I suppose are more a symbol of her rank than something she truly needs to protect herself. The rest of her outfit is similar to other Hunters. She’s wearing thick black combat boots, figure-hugging dark brown camouflage trousers, a brown sleeveless tactical jacket over a black t-shirt, black gloves, and brown protective gears around the forearms. A brown leather cowl is covering her head and shoulders. A pelt is wrapped around her shoulders. Her bare arms and cheeks are adorned with symbols painted in green.

Vika turns towards Trapstr.

“So? You finally finished? Kraven’s getting impatient.”

“Almost done. Just need to do a final check-up of the systems. But if you want my opinion, you guys over-complicate things way too much...”

“Do your work, tech expert, and don’t question Kraven’s orders.” Vika barks. “A sheep like you can’t understand the thrill of the hunt. Now, hurry up!”

Trapstr shakes her head. I suppose she’s also rolling her eyes, but it’s hard to tell with those dumb sunglasses. “I’d be faster if you stopped breathing down my neck!” she retorts.

The Hunter scoffs. “You’re lucky I have other business elsewhere.” She then leaves the tent through an other opening than the one we used.

Hopefully, she’s not gone to check on Zora and Ludmilla...

Once Trapstr thinks she’s alone, she mutters to herself under her breath. “Creeps… Shouldn’t have taken that job…”

She resumes typing.

From behind the crates, Felicia glances at Trapstr, at the lone suitcase on one crate (for some reason), then at me.

She puts her backpack on the ground, and opens it. “At least I didn’t carry those wigs for nothing.” she comments while picking up one with black hair.

I remember the last time, at Kingpin’s gathering, when I missed an occasion to mug Trapstr even though her fashion sense would have made it easy.

“I like where this is going…”

“You’ll take her place, and sabotage whatever she’s doing. It may create the distraction we need.”

“Got it.”

Felicia leaves her hiding spot, and approaches her unsuspecting target.

Trapstr notices Felicia’s reflection in one computer screen. (I’m impressed she managed to do it while wearing sunglasses.) However, because of Black Cat’s disguise, she mistakes her for a Hunter.

“I told your captain already! I’m almost done, harassing me won’t make me work any faster!”

“Yeah, yeah… I get it… You’ve done enough for tonight. Now, lights out!”

“Uh?”

Felicia hits her with a neck-chop.

Trapstr grunts. Her body slumps onto her chair. Her face falls onto her keyboard.

“That’s what you get for not spelling your name right.” Felicia adds.

“I thought she did it for trademark issues…”

Felicia groans. “Do you always have to criticize my one-liners? You don’t see me disparage your quips!”

“Force of habit.”

“Help me strip her. We don’t know when Vika will come back.”

The both of us make short work of the task. I remove the top part of the clothes – sunglasses, scarf, jacket and t-shirt –, while Felicia takes off the bottom part – unlacing and pulling the sneakers off, then slipping the trousers off Trapstr’s legs.

I roll my eyes when I get a glance at her underwear. The word ‘geeky’ comes to my mind. Her black briefs are adorned with one big green-yellow-red-and-blue PlayStation 1 logo on the front and the back. On each cup of her black t-shirt bra, there are the four button symbols of a PlayStation controller. Only her socks look normal, being plain white.

Do I even need to say anything? I think not. Moving on.

We restrain Trapstr with zip-ties from Felicia’s backpack, and a couple of spare computer cables. We bind her wrists behind her back, wrap cable around her upper-arms then her thighs, and finally zip-tie her knees and her ankles. Felicia also carries a few rolls of tape in her backpack. We use them to wrap-gag the tech-based villainess.

I throw away the Hunter gear I’m wearing, hiding it behind the computer equipment, and slip into my new disguise. I feel like an idiot when I put on the sunglasses, but at least they’ll conceal my eyes. The scarf allows me to obscure my lower face. Felicia helps me adjust the wig. I notice it mimics Trapstr’s haircut almost perfectly.

I open my mouth to remark on it.

Felicia anticipates my comment. “Yes. This one is based on Trapstr’s haircut. I have wigs tailored to replicate the hairdos of all the villainesses easy to impersonate.”

“Did you and Gwen spend time together lately? This sounds like something SHE would do...”

Felicia ignores my comment, and grabs the real Trapstr. “I’ll hide her somewhere. Work your magic, tech expert. Then, we’ll rescue the Spider Team.”

She points at the screen showing Peter’s, Gwen’s, and Miles’ cage. Now we know where it is in the theme park.

I help her pick up the unconscious woman, then sling her across the shoulder. While Felicia carries Trapstr away, I take the villainess’ seat behind the computer desk.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Black Cat pause near the lone suitcase, but don’t comment on it. I have more important things to do.

I crack my fingers, and get to work.

I’m no tech genius, but I’m good enough to know how to browse Trapstr’s electronic installation. Of course, I couldn’t probably operate it properly, but luckily destroying is a lot easier than building.

Apparently, all the traps and cameras Kraven intends to use for his hunt are remote controlled from here. I don’t complain. It makes my work simpler. In no time, I’ve coded contradictory instructions. Now, the moment the Hunters attempt to use them, the devices will either bug or (hopefully) blow up to their faces.

I notice a remote control in the middle of Trapstr’s notes. Apparently, it can be used to activate the traps without a computer.

I pocket it. It may come in handy later...

I hear footsteps behind me. Vika is back. Looks like her other business was quick.

I pretend to be typing lines of code.

I hope she’s bad with tech…

“You’re done?”

“Almost.” I retort, mimicking Trapstr’s voice. I’m confident enough in my skills, but I prefer to speak as little as possible. It’s easier to impersonate a voice with short words.

“Good.”

Vika sounds satisfied.

I feel a bit relieved. She hasn’t noticed my sabotage.

Still, I pray Felicia is back soon. I can’t exactly neutralize a captain of the Hunters on my own!

The attack takes me by surprise.

An arm is wrapped around my throat. I recognize a sleeper-hold.

I gurgle a question.

“Real hair and wig hair don’t look the same, little sheep!” Vika growls in my ear.

Shit! Busted! And my vision is already becoming blurry…

Thankfully, I trained for this specific threat, and my body reacts reflexively.

Instead of struggling aimlessly like any dumb sentry would, I use the desk as a fulcrum. Violently pushing on it with my right foot, I propel myself backwards. My move unbalances Vika, and she violently hits the table nearby. The Hunter grunts in pain, and lets go of me.

I fall on my knees, gasping for air, and lose the sunglasses. Thankfully, I recover fast, and grab my stun gun.

However, Vika recovers as quickly as me. She kicks the stun gun from my hand before I can jolt her.

The Hunter smiles harshly. “Maybe there’s some fight in you…”

Usually, I like compliments. But since in that context it means I’ve gone from ‘not worth hunting’ to ‘maybe worth hunting’, I wish she continued disparaging me.

Vika lunges at me. I try to dodge and unbalance her, but she’s too disciplined to fall for my trick. She easily side-steps my martial arts move.

Then she grabs my wrist, kicks me behind the calves, and next thing I know, my back violently collides with the ground, my breath is cut by the impact, and stars dance in front of my eyes.

Vika sits on my chest, and grabs my throat.

“… or maybe not.”

I admit I’m not proud of what I do next, but as I once said, only victory matters.

Before the Hunter can squeeze, I poke her in the eyes, as if we were in a playground fight.

Vika groans and reflexively recoils, covering her eyes with one arm, cursing in Russian.

I free myself from the grip of her legs, and crawl away, intending to grab my stun gun.

However, Vika doesn’t give up easily. Ignoring the pain, she grabs me by the ankle with one hand and pulls me towards her. With her other hand, she draws a nasty-looking hunting knife.

I answer by kicking her in the chin with my other foot.

Vika grunts, but the hit isn’t strong enough to knock her out. She massages her jaw, and glares daggers at me.

Looks like I’m now officially ‘worth hunting’ in her book. Lucky me…

I get back on my feet, still a bit groggy. Vika also gets back up. She passes her knife from hand to hand.

“You’re mine!” the captain barks with a vicious snarl.

I warily keep my distance.

Vika takes a step forward, and feints.

I take a step back, and ignores the feint.

The captain of the Hunters doesn’t notice the female figure sneaking behind her back.

Another step forward. Another feint.

Another step back.

Vika is within the figure’s reach.

Felicia presses my stun gun against Vika’s neck, and releases a powerful jolt. The captain of the Hunters groans, then falls face first onto the ground, landing with a soft thud.

I catch my breath. Rescued just in time! Of course, Black Cat will never let me live it down, but for now I’m grateful to be alive.

Felicia spins the stun gun around her finger, like a cowgirl in a Western movie. “Nice toy! Almost makes me willing to join the good gals’ team, so that Nick’d give me one…”

“Please don’t do your southern accent.”

“As you wish.”

She glances at Vika, especially at the body armor that shows her captain rank.

“Her outfit may come in handy if we want to get close to the cage holding Peter and the others. Good thing I always have two wigs of each color.”

“And here I thought Gwen was an over-planner…”

We strip Vika of her entire uniform. Technically, maybe the body armor would have been enough, but we can’t rule out the possibility there are other slight differences in a captain outfit that we missed out. Better be safe than sorry. Plus, it quickly becomes apparent Vika keeps several small knives hidden under her clothes, so stripping her to her underwear allows us to remove all of them.

Vika’s undergarments are a bit fanciful. (At least, fanciful as far as Hunters go.) Her sports bra, socks, boyshorts, and tank top all have a military camouflage pattern of various shades of green. A bit tacky if you ask me, but Vika has the strength to back up her warlike tastes.

And here I thought Russian women always wore boring white undergarments… Never trust Internet rumors!

A good chunk of Felicia’s remaining zip-ties are used to restrain Vika. We also wrap tape around her limbs, her eyes, and her lips and lower face. Finally, spare computer cables are used to hog-tie her. We throw her inside an empty crate near Trapstr’s computers – crate that was probably used to carry said equipment. Felicia hides her discarded Hunter outfit with the bound-and-gagged half-naked captain. Then we close the lid.

Felicia slips into Vika’s Hunter garb and captain body armor, then puts on her spare black wig.

“We’re ready for the last step.”

Two guards are watching the cage holding Peter, Gwen, and Miles. Two female Hunters, armed with crossbows. They must be twin sisters – same light blond hair, same pale white skin, same icy blue eyes, same pointy chins, and same braid. Their war paints are even symmetrical.

When we approach them, they look surprised. However, because of the darkness, the body armor, and the wig, they mistake Felicia for Vika. Therefore, they don’t raise the alarm.

Good thing we took the time to strip the captain...

“Vika! What are you two doing here? Kraven’s almost finished meditating! He wants everything ready when he’s done!”

Felicia doesn’t bother trying to impersonate Vika’s voice. She also doesn’t wait until they’re within reach. She knows any second now, the two guards will notice the flaws of her disguise.

So she fires Vika’s crossbow.

Hunters are scarily strong mercenaries, but they are still humans. And no human can outspeed a crossbow bolt. At least not from such a short distance and after being taken by surprise.

The tranquilizing bolt hits the first Hunter in the shoulder. The woman gasps in surprise and groans. She grabs the bolt and pulls it off, but it’s too late. The tranquilizer is already in her blood, and she staggers.

At the same time, I try an other functionality of SHIELD’s stun gun. I fire the probs at the second Hunter, then release the energy burst.

BZZZZZZZZZT!

The woman grunts and has a few spasms, then falls on her side and curls up, unconscious.

At the same time, Felicia jumps in front of the first Hunter, and puts her out of commission with one mean right hook. The woman grunts, rotates on herself, and crumbles onto the ground out cold.

“So Kraven’s not around. Thanks for the tip.” Felicia comments to the two unconscious Hunters.

The line would’ve been cooler if they were still awake, but with Hunters it’s best to quip after they’re down. When in doubt, always follow Tuco’s advice. When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.

Of course, our little stunt hasn’t escaped the three prisoners’ attention. They immediately go on alert.

“Looks like our charm won over some female baddies.” Peter quips.

Felicia takes off her wig. “You wish.” she jokingly retorts.

If he’s surprised to see his cat burglar ex-girlfriend, Peter doesn’t show it. “Oh, you’re breaking my heart.” he plays along.

Felicia looks him in the eyes, and makes an odd smile. “MJ. Can you open the door?”

I frown. Why does she out me like that? Still, I suppose there’s no need to impersonate Trapstr anymore. I take off the sunglasses. (Though I keep the wig, in case a Hunter sees us from afar.)

For some reason, Peter suddenly loses his bravado, but I don’t dwell on that.

“Found this code in Trapstr’s notes. Hopefully it works…”

I type something on the cage’s keyboard.

It works. The door unlocks.

“The Konami Code? Did she really choose the Konami Code for the password?” Felicia complains.

“I bet she liked the private joke. I don’t think Kraven’s Hunters would have caught on.”

Peter, Gwen, and Miles don’t waste time, and exit the cage.

Of course, the first thing Gwen does is to web up the twin Hunters, binding and gagging them together in one big cocoon, just to be safe.

Then she takes the both of us in her arms. “You have no idea how happy I am to see you right now.”

(I confess I return her hug.) "Me too."

Felicia nimbly gets out of the embrace. “Appreciate the intent, but I don’t do hugs. Would hurt my bad girl reputation.”

Gwen chuckles. “Of course. I'm glad you two were able to put away your differences for a while.”

“I suppose we should leave the thanks for later. Kraven won’t meditate forever. I’d rather be far off when he comes by.” Miles intervenes.

“You have a plan?” Gwen asks Felicia and I.

Bold of her to assume we projected ourselves that far ahead...

Still, I remember the remote control I found in Trapstr’s desk, and propose: “I sabotaged Kraven’s traps. Maybe we can use them as a distraction.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

I take Trapstr’s remote control, and press a button.

We hear loud noises in the distance. There were several explosions in the theme park.

I grin sheepishly. “I was wondering if they’d do that.”

“As subtle as ever…” Felicia comments.

Gwen smiles indulgently.

Miles shrugs. “Well. It’s our cue to leave.”

Peter glances at Felicia and I. “You want us to carry you to safety?”

Why does his eyes linger on me when he says that? I don’t like his proposition. Sure, I was a damsel in distress once. (Okay. A couple of times.) But it doesn’t mean I’m incompetent! I don’t need to be carried like some potato sack!

Thankfully, Felicia intervenes (and for once, I mean it unironically).

“Don’t worry. We’re grown women. We can take care of ourselves.” She lightly punches him on the arm.

Peter hesitates, but then nods.

“Catch you two outside.” Gwen concludes. “We’ll make sure they focus on us so you can flee.”

She and Miles leave first, then Peter follows them after one last glance at Felicia and I.

And we’re left alone. Well, if you don’t count the two webbed up Hunters at our feet of course. The victory celebration will wait until we're in a more suitable place.

“So… You have a plan?” I ask my partner.

I notice Felicia is staring at me.

“What?”

“You really don’t get it, do you?” the silver-haired woman finally comments.

“What do you mean?”

She sighs and puts a hand on her forehead. “Denser than a black hole…” she comments to herself.

“Hey! Those… might be fighting words!”

“Save it for later, Red. We’re not out of the woods yet. And yes, I have a plan. Follow me.”

Felicia takes the lead. According to her, our destination should be the place where the Hunters parked their vehicles.

“We’ll steal a 4x4 to flee before they find us.”

Her idea sounds good, so I don’t try to complain. Having the last word is secondary when my life’s at stake.

We hear screams and curses in the distance, plus a couple of new explostions. The Hunters seem busy with the fireworks and the rampaging Spider-People, so we don’t overstay our welcome.

We sneak into the area in which the vehicles are parked, near the big tent, and climb inside the 4x4 Felicia chooses.

“Watch out for Trapstr.” my partner warns me.

“For traps? They rig their vehicles?”

“No. For T-R-A-P-S-T-R. Don’t step on her.”

I notice the trussed up villainess lying on the floor, at my feet, stuck between the two rows of seats. Next to her, there is Felicia’s backpack – I only now realize she had concealed it at the same time as Trapstr. For some reason, it looks fuller than before.

“Oh.” So that’s why she chose this specific vehicle.

“I figured Hunters may blame her for the whole fiasco. It’s best for her to not be around when they come to their senses.”

“That’s awfully nice of you.”

“Plus, I thought delivering her to the police would net me a few gold stars.”

I roll my eyes. “You always find a way to profit from anything.”

“You have no idea…”

Is it me, or did she glance at her backpack next to Trapstr?

She notices I’m staring at her. “And why would that be a bad thing anyway? Doing good and making profit aren’t antinomic.”

“Just drive us away. The cat fight can wait until we’re NOT surrounded by crazy Hunters out for our heads.”

There is a beat.

Felicia glares at me.

“One and only warning. Don’t you dare make that pun ever again.”

'Cold Black Cat' is back! Her eyes send shivers down my spine.

“Yes ma’am!”

"Good."

Felicia turns the engine on, and drives us away to safety. A couple more explosions cover up our escape. I resist the urge to put on Trapstr's sunglasses - like any action movie heroine would do when there is an explosion.

Instead, I slump onto my seat. "Crazy night..."

Felicia nods. "Crazy night indeed."

I glance sideways at her. "But... Just so you know... It was a one-time thing. Next time we meet, I'll jolt you in the ass with my stun gun."

"Of course. And I'll hog-tie you, and smack yours."

"Good. Glad we're on the same page."

"On the same page indeed. That's what I'm looking for. Real meaningful relationships."

She even sounds genuine, but I'm way too tired right now to ponder on my complicated relationship with Black Cat. Technically, I should ask her what's in her backpack; but to be frank I don't want to risk getting hog-tied and left with Trapstr in front of the police station. Any other night, I'd have tried.

But tonight I just want to go back to bed...

There'll be plenty of other opportunities.
meditions142

Re: The Hunter becomes the Hunted

Post by meditions142 »

Fun update. Very cool that you switched to tell it from MJ's prospective.

Some really fun scenes.

I really like the scene Trapstr. Not sure why but I always liked scenes with knocking out a woman working at a desk and having slump over the desk. Perfect here how Trapstr even sees Felicia but doesn't recognize the threat. Then the great comment “Yeah, yeah… I get it… You’ve done enough for tonight. Now, lights out!”. Then Felicia gives a good old neck chop to that special spot on the neck that knocks her out. And of course great nerdy undies she is wearing.

We even get a great scene of taking out twins! Great that one gets a tranq. plus a punch while the other gets an energy burst.

The other thing I really liked was MJ's thoughts about her being in Jessica's uniform. Fun to hear her thoughts regarding the uniform she has taken and the woman who was previously wearing it. First we get "The watchwoman’s shoes are too tight. So is her shirt." I guess MJ is a bit more buxom than Jessica.

I also really liked her thought "She probably thinks I’m an untrained college girl taking this job to pay her studies. Someone not competent enough to see an opening in a fight. (Though to be fair to her, the real watchwoman was exactly that.)" I think since I found the Jessica scene in last chapter so much fun hearing MJ's thoughts about her is really a nice touch.
tirepanted3

Post by tirepanted3 »

Glad to see a follow-up, and so soon after the first chapter.

And we're back at MJ's perspective. Honestly, that might make the most sense. Felicia is fun to write, but MJ is a character we're inclined to root for more naturally, since she's an underdog out to prove herself. Plus, the banter between the two leads remains top-notch, with MJ constantly trying to find ways to poke holes in Felicia's ego. (And explaining it as "force of habit.")

I see you found a way to work Trapstr into the story as a USB victim, which is great. Honestly, I've loved the character's design ever since she debuted in the comics a few years ago, and it was fun teasing out her appearance in the Kingpin story. So her addition here feels like a good payoff.

I'm perhaps a bit disappointed that she was not restrained with her famed paste-gun, though that may just be because I automatically associate that weapon with that character. (Fun fact, the original Trapster - note the correct spelling - was a man whose defining weapon was the paste-gun, to the point that his original name in the comics was... Paste-Pot Pete! One of the more ridiculous villains of his day.)

The infiltrations and takeouts were on point as usual. I like the takeout of Zora and Ludmilla, as well as the continued digs at the Russian women and their underwear (some rumors apparently cross the multiverse :lol:).

That said, I can't explain precisely how, but it feels like there should be at least one more USB scene in this chapter. Maybe in the climax, which features the main characters making a quick escape? The USB scenes in this chapter were good, and logically placed, but somehow it seems like the story could have used one more.

In any case, this was definitely a fun chapter, and I'm glad to see this universe continue. Who knows, maybe Earth-USB could end up influencing the regular Marvel universe into adding more USB scenes. ;)
rufusluciusivan

Post by rufusluciusivan »

meditions: The nerdy undies were essential. :lol:

I'm glad you appreciated the various takeouts. I thought it'd be cool to add a few that don't end with uniform stealings, just a bunch of sentries knocked out and left behind.
I guess MJ is a bit more buxom than Jessica.
Or simply taller and bigger. :lol: It's hinted one of the many reasons MJ dislikes Felicia is because she envies Felicia's... ahem... "physical assets" :lol: . One main source of inspiration for "USB Mary-Jane" is the PS4 videogame's version of her, whose body is a lot more average and less curvy than her comicbooks counterpart (the other source of inspiration being Lois Lane from the My Life with Superman reboot, for the haircut and bubbly energetic personality).

I can definitely see USB-MJ having this sort of dynamic with a fellow colleague of hers whenever she spots a scoop that'll allow her to earn... MONEY. :lol:

Poor Jessica can't catch a break - even in a part in which she doesn't appear. I'm sure she'll take solace in the fact she left an impact on the Board. :lol:

tirepanted: Most of the second half was written at the same time as the first half, so it was easy to post the two parts in quick succession. ;)

My first contact with Trapstr was a few out-of-context pictures, and I don't know why but in my mind I always associated her with a tech-based villainess. I only learned about the paste gun and the reference to the original trapster when I did some researsh for my stories, so I guess subconsciously I didn't even think of including the paste gun in my story outside of a brief joke.
I like the takeout of Zora and Ludmilla, as well as the continued digs at the Russian women and their underwear (some rumors apparently cross the multiverse :lol:).
It isn't limited to this story in particular, but I wanted to say I just love how the stories on this Board have reached a point in which there are now memes and private jokes specific to this Board.

The last part of the story - the escape - was the harder part to come by. The pace was running out of steam, and there wasn't an other type of clothes to steal - mugging Hunters similar to the previous ones felt redundant. So I decided to end the story. Given the destruction MJ unleashed, it felt logical they wouldn't need to disguise themselves - the Hunters would be too busy with the explosions.
In any case, this was definitely a fun chapter, and I'm glad to see this universe continue. Who knows, maybe Earth-USB could end up influencing the regular Marvel universe into adding more USB scenes. ;)
Fun it was, but it'll most likely be the last venture in this universe. (I mean, if you don't count the upcoming epilogue.) And yes, one can dream regular Marvel could end up incluenced... One can dream... :P

Return to “Stories by Rufusluciusivan”