Harley Quinn picture book

Disguisedagent

Harley Quinn picture book

Post by Disguisedagent »

Found an image of Harley disguised on a comic wiki, and did some digging to find it's from a book with a uniform theft!

Harley Quinn held her own throat with both hands. "Ack!" she croaked. "Can't breathe..." Her eyelids fluttered as she coughed and sputtered.
The Arkham Asylum orderly outside Harley's cell simply rolled her eyes and shook her head. “I'm not falling for it, Harley."
Harley staggered off her bunk and pawed at the air in front of her. "Who's that? Is someone there?"

She moaned and put a hand to her forehead. "I'm so dizzy..." Then she fainted onto her bunk and lay there with her tongue drooping from her mouth.
"It's no good, Quinn," the orderly said through the open hatch in the door. “Your acting is even worse than it was yesterday." Harley popped one eye open, blinking it twice, before a wide grin stretched across her face. She sprang to her feet and skipped toward the door. “Oh, well," she said. “You can't blame a girl for trying. Huh, Maggie?"

Maggie sighed. "Whatever." She slid open the smaller, thin hatch in the middle of the door. "Do you want your dinner or what?"
Harley clapped excitedly. "Goodie! What is it tonight?! Steak? Lobster?"
Maggie laughed. “You wish.”

Harley gasped. "Ooh, that's new!" she said, pointing at the woman's neck.
Maggie's hand went up to a tiny diamond pendant dangling on a gold chain. "This?" she asked. "It's a birthday gift from my parents.'
"Ooh, happy birthday!" Harley chirped. "Can I see?"
The orderly's eyes narrowed suspiciously. "I don't think that's a good idea."
“Ah, come on," Harley said as she rolled her eyes. "I'm not gonna steal it or nothin'. I'm not Catwoman, after all."
Maggie glanced around before stepping toward the door. She leaned forward, holding
the pendant away from her chest.
Harley poked her head out of the hatch to get a better look. "Very pretty."

"Thank you," Maggie said before backing away. She turned to the food cart behind her.
She didn't notice that Harley had reached her hand through the food slot and swiped the keycard from the orderly's belt.
"Okay, here's your dinner," Maggie said as she grabbed a tray of food.
CLANK! The orderly dropped the tray as she heard the sound of the cell door opening. She spun around to see Harley leaning out the open doorway to her cell.

“Actually, can I get mine to go?" Harley asked, waving the stolen keycard at Maggie.
With lightning speed, Harley grabbed the orderly and dragged her into the cell. Moments later, Harley exited the cell wearing
Maggie's white uniform. The orderly was tied up and now wore Harley's gray jumpsuit.

"Gray looks much better on you, Maggs," Harley said as she swung the cell door shut.
Harley hummed as she pushed the cart down the long corridor. She passed several other cells but didn't pass out any dinners. She had a special destination in mind.

I wish we'd gotten to see an illustration of the bound and gagged orderly. Harley Quinn has to hold the record for most USB scenes in official works, right? I reckon it's either her or Fujiko Mine from Lupin III.
tirepanted3

Re: Harley Quinn picture book

Post by tirepanted3 »

I believe Harley Quinn is the most prolific uniform thief in mainstream pop culture, just as Madame Masque is the most prolific USB victim.

Someday I'm hoping for a DC/Marvel crossover in which Harley mugs Masque for her uniform. Would be an instant classic. :)
rufusluciusivan

Post by rufusluciusivan »

Cool find. I just love her quip. "Gray looks much better on you, Maggs." :lol: I agree it's a shame we don't see the orderly, especially since the narration makes it clear she's been redressed in Harley's prisoner jumpsuit and therefore isn't half-naked.

The most prolific uniform thief in mainstream pop culture, most likely. (Sorry Eva Kant, you'll alway hold a special place on this board, but you aren't mainstream. :lol: ) But also the most prolific provider of offscreen muggings. Correct me if I'm wrong, but of all the scenes featuring Harley (comics and cartoons), only one shows the aftermath. I know it's a coincidence, but I can't help but think there is a joke played at the expense of our Board by someone. :lol:
tirepanted3

Post by tirepanted3 »

I can actually think of a lot of Harley Quinn USB scenes in mainstream comics that feature some sort of aftermath. :)

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1660
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1528
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=1475
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3949
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8177

It's mostly the animated series that has disappointed when it comes to showing aftermaths. (Although as I recall, at least one of the uniform steals on the show was committed by some policewomen, not Harley.)
tirepanted3

Post by tirepanted3 »

I may be mistaken, but I think the Harley Quinn story above does feature an aftermath shot - it looks like the female orderly here has been dressed in a prison uniform. Presumably she gets free and alerts the others, but they get tied up by Poison Ivy.

https://books.google.com/books/publishe ... 0Bg&w=1280
rufusluciusivan

Post by rufusluciusivan »

I can actually think of a lot of Harley Quinn USB scenes in mainstream comics that feature some sort of aftermath. :)
Oh traitorous memory... I completely forgot about those instances. Shame on me! :P

I suppose the latest instances in the series, and especially the tie-in comic ( viewtopic.php?f=50&t=6579&p=20353&hilit ... inn#p20353 ), sticked out so much in my mind because I love the art-style. So I regretted even more the lack of aftermath...
I may be mistaken, but I think the Harley Quinn story above does feature an aftermath shot - it looks like the female orderly here has been dressed in a prison uniform. Presumably she gets free and alerts the others, but they get tied up by Poison Ivy.
I think it is indeed her (and she is cute :D ). The story under the first picture indeed mentioned Harley redressed her in the prison uniform. Thanks for the find!

I just love how she looks more annoyed than anything. As if it is a normal Tuesday in Arkham. :lol: (Knowing Batman's lore, it probably is.)
Disguisedagent

Post by Disguisedagent »

There are also several instances where she's replaced another woman without taking her clothes (regrettably), but at least still with an aftermath:

tirepanted3 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:44 pm I may be mistaken, but I think the Harley Quinn story above does feature an aftermath shot - it looks like the female orderly here has been dressed in a prison uniform. Presumably she gets free and alerts the others, but they get tied up by Poison Ivy.

https://books.google.com/books/publishe ... 0Bg&w=1280
Wow, great find! I totally missed that.

Return to “Comic Books ( Modern Age )”