Another Potential Scene:The Originals

Announcements & General Discussion
Void99

Re: Another Potential Scene:The Originals

Post by Void99 »

Yep 24 was an absolute classic ....as was my dedication to it!!!!!
The first 3 seasons were the best. But the third season caused total havoc, many internal arguments in the house and with family members, cost me a potential girlfriend and blocked my phone line up for months! Damn those were the days! :D

I initially started watching season 2 when it aired on BBC and fell in love with it. A mate used to come around and he and my brother and me made it a weekly ritual. A short way into the season my mate bought the first season on DVD ....which I ended up binge watching to get up to date with the whole show.

After season 2 finished on a major cliff hanger and 2003 rolled around....DISASTER! The BBC and Fox had a bust up that resulted in Fox pulling their shows from the BBC. Season 3 would not be shown on terrestrial TV. It was going to SKY One .....and I was too poor to afford sky.

There was only one option ....download. Just one problem, Broadband did not exist in my area until 2007. 56k modem!!! Remember those? The whole friggin' SEASON!!!!! 5-6 days each episode took to download going at it 24/7.

My mate moved to a local town not long after season 3 where he had insane download speeds so I got a few of the other seasons from him easily until Broadband finally hit my area.

But damn am I highly proud of downloading the entire third season of 24 off a 56k modem!!!! The sacrifices endured for it proved I was all the way in with my commitment to the show!
Stormtrooper1990

Post by Stormtrooper1990 »

Void99 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:21 pm Yep 24 was an absolute classic ....as was my dedication to it!!!!!
The first 3 seasons were the best. But the third season caused total havoc, many internal arguments in the house and with family members, cost me a potential girlfriend and blocked my phone line up for months! Damn those were the days! :D

I initially started watching season 2 when it aired on BBC and fell in love with it. A mate used to come around and he and my brother and me made it a weekly ritual. A short way into the season my mate bought the first season on DVD ....which I ended up binge watching to get up to date with the whole show.

After season 2 finished on a major cliff hanger and 2003 rolled around....DISASTER! The BBC and Fox had a bust up that resulted in Fox pulling their shows from the BBC. Season 3 would not be shown on terrestrial TV. It was going to SKY One .....and I was too poor to afford sky.

There was only one option ....download. Just one problem, Broadband did not exist in my area until 2007. 56k modem!!! Remember those? The whole friggin' SEASON!!!!! 5-6 days each episode took to download going at it 24/7.

My mate moved to a local town not long after season 3 where he had insane download speeds so I got a few of the other seasons from him easily until Broadband finally hit my area.

But damn am I highly proud of downloading the entire third season of 24 off a 56k modem!!!! The sacrifices endured for it proved I was all the way in with my commitment to the show!
I can, the days of slow internet were it took almost a week to sodding download a media file. Now fast forward a couple of decades and we have 4G going on 5G. My internet however is slow as shit. It took me 16 hours to install COD Black Ops.(which one of the best Uniform Stealing scenes in modern gaming.) on my X-Box. I used to have ultra fast sky broadband on my old home, but we had to move because the landlord wanted to sell. Our new house only had 35mbps. A nightmare to be sure.

I used remember a time, when BBC Two had both 24 and the X-files, another classic. Still i liked all the seasons, with season 4 being the best because of arch arsehole President Logan and the clothes stealing scene with the federal agent. When they tried to reboot the series with Legacy, it was ok but no Jack Bauer no 24.
Mr. Peaky Blinder

Post by Mr. Peaky Blinder »

What broadband provider do you guys recommend for a large house? I feel the need for speed. :)
simon4242

Post by simon4242 »

sky
Stormtrooper1990

I will second that, Sky all day long.
Void99

Post by Void99 »

Stormtrooper1990 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:33 pm
Void99 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:21 pm Yep 24 was an absolute classic ....as was my dedication to it!!!!!

I can, the days of slow internet were it took almost a week to sodding download a media file. Now fast forward a couple of decades and we have 4G going on 5G. My internet however is slow as shit. It took me 16 hours to install COD Black Ops.(which one of the best Uniform Stealing scenes in modern gaming.) on my X-Box. I used to have ultra fast sky broadband on my old home, but we had to move because the landlord wanted to sell. Our new house only had 35mbps. A nightmare to be sure.

I used remember a time, when BBC Two had both 24 and the X-files, another classic. Still i liked all the seasons, with season 4 being the best because of arch arsehole President Logan and the clothes stealing scene with the federal agent. When they tried to reboot the series with Legacy, it was ok but no Jack Bauer no 24.
35Mbps is an absolute blessing for me! That's what I have now.
The initial broadband I got in 2007 was 5x the speed of 56k. At the time it seemed amazing!
But then my ISP gave me a router instead of modems.

The highest speed I ever got from 2007 to 2018 was 1.6Mbps !!!! It used to average out at 1.2Mbps. I moved up north in November 2018. The last game I downloaded before moving was Red Dead Redemption 2. That took 8 days.

I have been very accustomed to poor download speeds. Going from 1.2Mbps to 35Mbps at my new place felt like an EXTREME advancement beyond my wildest dreams!

I never watched Legacy. Like you say ...Jack Bauer is 24. That is my type of hero! Nobody yells and points a gun like he does!
His only equal in my eyes was Rick Grimes in The Walking Dead. They knew how to rack up the body counts!
Stormtrooper1990

Void99 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:09 pm

The initial broadband I got in 2007 was 5x the speed of 56k. At the time it seemed amazing!

The highest speed I ever got from 2007 to 2018 was 1.6Mbps !!!! It used to average out at 1.2Mbps. I moved up north in November 2018. The last game I downloaded before moving was Red Dead Redemption 2. That took 8 days.

I have been very accustomed to poor download speeds. Going from 1.2Mbps to 35Mbps at my new place felt like an EXTREME advancement beyond my wildest dreams!

I never watched Legacy. Like you say ...Jack Bauer is 24. That is my type of hero! Nobody yells and points a gun like he does!
His only equal in my eyes was Rick Grimes in The Walking Dead. They knew how to rack up the body counts!
Absolutely, I remember playing 24 the game on the PlayStation 2. It made my dream come true, of being Jack Bauer, yelling as he guns down baddies with no remorse. You could also play as Tony, Rachel, Kim and Chase.

I remember this one mission with Chase, were you had to infiltrate a lab. You needed to get past this receptionist called Melissa. You can knock her out. That made me think of a uniform stealing scenario, of what if Chase was a girl and you could knock the receptionist out and steal her clothes to enter the lab.

I preferred the earlier seasons of TWD, when things were simple. The later seasons were just too po-faced, and it felt like they were running out of ideas. But nobody ruthlessly kicked ass like Rick and Jack.
Trackman281

Post by Trackman281 »

I guess it depends on location, for example. My wife and I have been using EE broadband now for about 4 years and it's everything we could have wanted. It's insanely fast, thankfully it's reliable, it didn't even falter when he had those storms last year and I can casually allow games to download on say either the PS5 or Series X without interrupting or causing any lag on whatever program my wife is streaming or either the TV or her iPad.

I say this because we were on Sky for a couple of years and we just had loads of trouble with them, and we knew that virgin media was even worse, so we thought "screw it" and gave EE a try.....best decision we made. :)

Again, I know it's based on area and location. :D
Void99

Post by Void99 »

Stormtrooper1990 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:16 pm
Void99 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:09 pm

Absolutely, I remember playing 24 the game on the PlayStation 2. It made my dream come true, of being Jack Bauer, yelling as he guns down baddies with no remorse. You could also play as Tony, Rachel, Kim and Chase.

I remember this one mission with Chase, were you had to infiltrate a lab. You needed to get past this receptionist called Melissa. You can knock her out. That made me think of a uniform stealing scenario, of what if Chase was a girl and you could knock the receptionist out and steal her clothes to enter the lab.

I preferred the earlier seasons of TWD, when things were simple. The later seasons were just too po-faced, and it felt like they were running out of ideas. But nobody ruthlessly kicked ass like Rick and Jack.
24 had so much to excite the imagination for uniform stealing! Really wanted Kim in season 3 to lose her clothes!!!

For me Walking Dead started to fumble right after the start of season 7. After the awesome Negan introduction. Problem was that they got complaints about the violence and had to cave into pressure and tone things down going forward.
Season 8 "All out War" was a complete bust out.

Not to get too political but there is a Youtuber called The Critical Drinker who perfectly and frequently explains the problem with shows and films in present day which sums up the reason I pretty much gave up on most TV in general years ago. Not watched BBC or paid the license in years, don't even have an aerial connected, the socket is actually bust and I have zero desire in getting it fixed!

I just stick with the classics from the bygone era!
simon4242

Post by simon4242 »

being a film and tv buff i have watched countless shows for 50 years its like an addiction lol

Return to “General Discussion”