Spacesuit, Vol. 6: A Woman Scorned

esercito sconfitto

Re: Spacesuit, Vol. 6: A Woman Scorned

Post by esercito sconfitto »

it ìs quite difficult not to mention Evelyn providing Lacie- her victim- a lecture about the uniform stealing techniques ...

...but, despite excellent performances by other characters, this new installment of the long-running saga has been dominated by a single star and protagonist... Ashley :) . Her internal evolution into a willing victim has been well described , even if it was not totally unexpected ...

What is really unexpected is the apparent contradiction betweeen her solidarity expressed toward Jenna ( and the reasons based on militant feminism against the uniform stealing spreading phenomenon, as assumed to be in the tale ) and her decision of stripping herself and surrendering her uniform... at some point Askhley seems to have been devoured by the desire, the dark and deeply will of being a victim, the acceptance of her role and part in the universe prevailing upon all the rational beliefs and emotional feelings ;)

mr Tirepanted, many thanks for resuming this awesome story :D
saker

Post by saker »

Great chapter, as always!
I'm getting crazy flashes about the Pluto project and the SVR part.
I wonder if the series will also move to other countries, such as Russia. Perhaps Sonja could go home, momentarily, to find out if Russian women's underwear is as boring as ever or if there has been some progress. Keep it up!
tirepanted3

Post by tirepanted3 »

Thanks all! :)

Simon4242: Yes, as some have noticed I find it interesting to have characters questioning their morals regarding uniform stealing. Although, can uniform stealing ever truly end? Guess we'll see... ;)

Meditions: I was very happy with how the Evelyn/Lacie scene turned out, as I like the idea of Evelyn mugging women for their clothes in a "professional" manner, complete with descriptions to her victim. Contrasted with Harper, who is certainly more mean-spirited (though also more creative) with her means of knocking out victims.

Bridget's scenes are always fun to write, particularly as she does display some level of regret for knocking out innocent victims. She's still one of the key emotional components of the series in that respect. I wasn't thinking of the classic Alias scene while writing the scene between her and the secretary, but I can see the comparison.

Esercito: Ashley truly is the breakout star of the series, isn't she? I genuinely had no idea she would be so popular. It's been fun trying to incorporate her into new stories (albeit perhaps not so fun for her :lol: ).

While it is true that Ashley has struggled with "accepting" her role as a perennial USB victim, I see her conversation with Jenna - a woman who is resistant and reluctant to steal her clothes - as a sign that she is hopeful that things are about to turn a corner. Jenna agrees with Ashley that uniform stealing needs to be stopped, and thus Ashley is willing to swallow her own pride and help Jenna, in the hopes that she does succeed in putting an end to the USB madness that endlessly plagues her.

Saker: Sonja's escapades in Russia remain a potent idea. Not sure if the story would mandate her going back, but perhaps the series could evoke a couple of her old adventures in flashback. Though I may need to brush up in my Russian geography before doing so... ;)
simon4242

Post by simon4242 »

hi of course uniform stealing being put an end to would defeat the whole purpose of this site however i will settle for karma to be meted out to the deserving many in this storyline..pride comes before a fall lol
saker

Post by saker »

It would be wonderful!
Russian uniforms have their charm (especially when Sydney Bristow wears them)
saker

Post by saker »

tirepanted3

Post by tirepanted3 »

I do remember that episode. One of my favorite Alias disguises. Pity we didn't get a scene of Sydney mugging a real Russian military woman for the uniform. ;)
rufusluciusivan

Post by rufusluciusivan »

I can't remember the last time you posted a two-parts update. Is it the first time or am I starting to experience memory loss? :lol: Whatever the answer is, I'm not complaining. :D

Poor Lacie should have listened to Ashley indeed... I can't explain why, but I think Evelyn's blunt announcement she's going to take her clothes is a hilarious joke.
Zuhal patted Bobbi on the shoulder. "I know exactly what you mean... But like I said, our line of business is tough. It's not always easy getting our friends to understand... and if they end up antagonizing you over your decisions, perhaps they aren't really your friends at all."

Bobbi nodded. "I... I guess."
I now think I see how this specific character arc will end... Unfortunately... :? Felicia will make her point clear to the person with whom she should do it the most. Things will most likely get closure... One way or another. :? I'll save up my thoughts when it happens, but I'm already taking notes. :lol:

The suspense is killing me. Though for the writer (aka you) I guess this is a good thing. :lol: ;) I think this is an inevitable consequence when a story features many parallel story arcs. When they all move on at the same time and roughly at the same pace (with the same amount of "screentime" so to speak), it makes each arc's progression that much slower. I maintain it can have downsides though - so many things are going on a the same time, I don't think things will be resolved before a few updates.

A lot of people have already commented, and I don't think I have much to add. A lot of the things I appreciated had already been pointed out.

Of course, the most interesting scene in my eyes was the surreal conversation between Ashley and Jenna. An interesting variation of the trope, a bit funny (Ashley actually reminding she has to be tied up :lol: ), and also with some character development. It's funny to see how much Ashley's evolved - at first she was a pure joke-character, and now she's half-funny, half-serious. Tragi-comic much?

Speaking of character development, I wasn't expecting Chandra to get some. Interested to see where her unlikely team-up will lead her. I'll say it, this is the best advantage of your way of writing 'grey' characters. Their alignment and alliances often shift, which leads to these interesting twists and unlikely partnerships.

Still enjoying how you have the character discuss the uniform stealing and its spreading.

This part was a transition leading to the final climax, hence probably why I don't have much to say. The writing is still good. There were still good lines. Plot-wise, important confrontations are being sent into motion (Jenna VS her team, Bobbi and Felicia, Bridget's and Chandra's unlikely team most likely having to rescue Prema and Moira from their kidnapping), so I'll probably have more to say next time.
tirepanted3

Post by tirepanted3 »

I think this is in fact my first two-part update. I actually assumed it was short enough to fill one post (I generally dislike splitting up chapters), but the forum wouldn't let me post at the length, so I made it two posts.

Evelyn's monologue to Lacie was fun to write; I like the idea of a uniform thief being matter-of-fact in her mugging, to the point that she explains the whole process to her victim while it's happening.

Still more developments to come on the Felicia/Bobbi front - I won't spoil anything, but I remain hopeful that people are invested and are satisfied with where it leads.

As you well know, I love writing multiple arcs, though I concede it can make the story feel slower than it is. We are however building toward the climax at this point, and things should start moving more quickly in the next chapter as everything comes together. (That's the hope, anyway.) The tough part is getting through some of the exposition that helps the story arcs intersect, so as to get more directly to the final climax, but I don't plan to linger too much on that before the good stuff.

"Tragi-comic" is a perfect summation of Ashley's arc - she has been through so much, and gone through nearly every permutation of a USB victim (including briefly becoming a USB herself), yet still intent on carrying on. There's something both very sad and very funny about her - you want to laugh, even as she deserves sympathy. Developing her character has been one of my favorite parts of the series.

Chandra has also been one of my favorite characters to write this chapter; I like the idea of Bridget allying herself with a former enemy, as a mutually beneficial partnership. It makes for an interesting dynamic. Definitely an advantage of writing morally grey characters.

The spread of USB as a phenomenon will continue to be explored in this story and lead into volume 7 (which will be the final volume in the series). It's a way of commenting on both the characters and their environment, and I like the differing perspectives it brings out in different characters.

As mentioned earlier, the climax to this volume is coming up soon. Hopefully people will enjoy watching the different stories collide. Thanks for the feedback, and stay tuned. :)
simon4242

Post by simon4242 »

marvellous ..hope you dish out some karma...even evelyn lol

Return to “Stories by Tirepanted”