Pakal

esercito sconfitto

Re: Pakal

Post by esercito sconfitto »

Rufusluciusivan, would you point me at where you posted the pictures of the characters that are the direct source of inspiration for the protagonists of this saga ? I remember you linked al least three pictures, but despite all my efforts and searches I was unable to locate them again :(
rufusluciusivan

Post by rufusluciusivan »

To tirepanted: I do enjoy writing villains, probably even more than heroes, therefore I guess that's why some of them end up so memorable. ;)

To esercito sconfitto: There's only one I think.

Ironically, in that specific tabletop game, she's a proposed NPC antagonist.
meditions142

Post by meditions142 »

Fun update on this wonderful story!

For me, the most fun scene was when Yuka and the team came across the servant Tsuki had previously knocked out.

I love the idea that after Yuka had gotten the information she needed from the woman, instead of freeing her she just knocked her back out.

On top of that I loved the whole "you're going to untie me right?" moment. I always loved scenes where the victim thinks she is rescued only to be left in her predicament.

I love Yuka's comments to her as well "Apologies. I can’t let you be rescued too soon. We need this part of the palace to stay quiet, so that we can enter the cells area…” and “It’s best for you that you sleep the rest of the night off. Things may become violent.”

I also love the description of girl passing out after Yuka used her touch on her. You had already established in the previous chapter the servant girl was drop dead gorgeous. The description "the woman blinked several times very quickly. Then her eyes rolled back, and she passed out with a faint moan" just seemed really sexy!

And of course it is cool that this is now the second time she has been knocked out by the magic touch. I really, really love the magic touch!

I also liked the fact that they used the rag with sleeping potion to keep her asleep. Always a fun addition to a scene!

And then we even get treated to Tsuki finding her moved, checking on her and just then leaving her to her fate.
rufusluciusivan

As far as USB victims go, this servant was particularly unlucky. :P She just wanted to be left alone, but alas the plot wouldn't let her... When life gives you lemons... :P
Trackman281

Post by Trackman281 »

Trackman! Took you long enough! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope I have enough space to write this review, as I'm starting at chapter 6: part 4 and I'm not stopping until I reach the end, so I can't believe I'm about to say this but my review might be two parts. Anyway, let's stop wasting both time and writing space and save it for the review. 8-)

Great opening act. I enjoyed Yuka's reflection about what had happened previously and the revelation about "Nahid". Yeah, now you said all that, it does make sense now. Very nice! :D

Wonderful group USB scene to follow, I know that this isn't the first time they've managed to overthrow an entire ship's crew for their uniforms, I mean heck we've seen it with outposts and garrisons, let's face it, they're a USB force to be reckoned with. :D This of course is followed with another amazing USB scene with Yuka. Aaahhh the mentality of the lone guard, it's wonderful. :D

This next scene is amazing, I do like the way you gave all of these guards their owns names, identities and personal interest, it's small additions like this that I really like and appreciate, also I see Sofia just said the dreaded line "nothing ever happens around here". I can already the laser guided karma flying in the distance. :D *a few seconds later*. I was right! I loved the takedowns, I loved the underwear choices and all in all a great and very well detailed USB all around. But now I'm getting curious, because after one or two expertly written USB scene, we usually get a bit dose of plot to follow, and of course, you know that the plot itself is something I live for alongside the USB scenes of course. :D

I really liked the interrogation, see that's something that's a tactic that infiltrators seem to forget to use (I'm guilty for this too in my stories), before an infiltrator takes the uniform off the guard she's grabbed, it is wise to interrogate her for information first before replacing her, because while yes, you may have her uniform, sometimes having additional information is beneficial for both the assignment and to make sure they don't get exposed as an imposter. Nicely done. :D

I won't lie, in this next scene I genuinely thought that the yellow crystal was going to filled with a kind of sleep gas and I thought ti myself "hhmm, I wonder who would like that tayhayhay ;) " But a type of flashbang grenade is also really cool in my opinion and the knockout scenes that followed were delightful and awesome, another solid USB scene. Good gravy, your going no holds bared with the USB scenes in this chapter. It reminds of a certain other story you wrote which had the similar amount of USB scenes. AMAZING! :D

I see Yuka and co have finally found Alessia once more and judging by the way this is going down, things are go get.......interesting. :D

WHOA! Tosca certainly is one massive state of denial. I remember you said you had a small side story written for her, and I must admit, write now, she's one side character I'm very keen to learn more of. :D

Once again I loved the scene with Yuka and Azeneth replacing Alessia and Lucilla, but damn this plan of there's is going to go either really well or really bad, it's going really make or break Tosca and I'm really eager to move on to the next scene. 8-)

Damn Yuka! :shock: ..............I mean I get it, that's one to make someone potentially move, but holy hot ham and cheese, I genuinely didn't think she had it in her to be that blunt, and I think that's the bit that took me by surprise. What a truly fantastic scene, throughout this chapter, I genuinely this will be one of, if not my most favourite scene, it was filled with character development, great dialogue and superbly written in all corners. Marvellous work. :D

Loved Tsuki's little remark about the lamest comeback ever, purely because she disrespects the guard that much. Love it! :lol: And a charming little USB to follow, although I'm not surprised Tsuki killed her, at this point with the black stars influence, I actually expecting her to more killings, I'm curious to see where she goes next.

I must admit, I loved the scene that followed with Safiye and Coulter, only to have Tsuki appear and switch things up, It was really great and to be honest, you have a habbit of writing scenes like this and they are just absolute blasts and always put a smile on my face, but this due to the fact that you really, really know how to write amazing characters and amazing characters........Oh, and I got Tsuki's "dead tired" joke as soon as she said it, it just strikes me that this is something she would both say and do, the moment it left her lips. PERFECTION! :D

HAHAHAHA! God damn it, why I am laughing so much at this next scene. I just thought it was so funny. I mean literally anyone. ANYONE. Would either be annoyed, angry, upset, frustrated or even fearful of what had happened, but Tsuki was happy! "Oh I see I've broken a load of my bones....Oooppss butterfingers." Absolutely wonderful and her deduction of the maid and her willingness to help people was just fantastic. Damn I love Tsuki, plus she seems to be so far ahead of her time it's awesome, the fact the called her mistake a "spectacular fail". She amuses and entertains me more and more and I think you've done a wonderful job with her character. :D
“And folks, this is exactly why humans will always be inferior to me…” Tsuki muttered to herself.
Good heavens! :lol:

WOW, and I do mean wow! What an epic chapter, I can't wait to move on to the next part. Sssoooo, I think I'll do just that, let's move on. 8-)

chapter 6. part 5 review

Heck of an opening and I cans ee that things have already been going on, Tsuki appears to be on a type of rampage, but I liked the way Yuka "explained" the reason as to why the maid (even though found), must remain bound, gagged and out of the way haha. :lol: I also really liked the interactions here between Yuka and Azeneth, these two always have a good strong bond and it only shines even more where they have their brief heart to heart moments. it's lovely. :D

I must admit, watching this entire next scene unfold, I was really hoping that Ichtaca was going to get what was coming to her and thankfully I was not disappointed, hearing all of her moans and rants were worth it, when I got to see get the daylights knocked out of her......Aaahhhh, that felt really relaxing. 8-)

I also quite this next scene as well, of where Safiye is the only one to have the foresight and the intelligence to know that the Marquess doesn't go anywhere without her hawk. The other notice but didn't glance or suspect, but Safiye automatically knew something was up. I don't know why, but after everything, I still like her. :D

Hahaha! Again watching Yuka in character and pretty much have the royal guards providing them with their next set of unknowingly and certainly unwilling uniform donors was amazing, I like ti when stuff like that happens. :lol:

This was of course followed by one heck of an amazing fight / USB scene, but I think this line really sums it all up for me. “Well, at the very least, we’ve destroyed her self-esteem, her bedding, AND her wardrobe. I consider it a small victory.” Yuka concluded. "Now, let's go." Thank you Yuka, I couldnt have said it any better myself. ;) 8-)

Another great USB scene to follow and I'm really sensing there's going to be one heck of a scene with Yuka and Azeneth at some point too, which I'm actually really looking forward to seeing and they are right Nahid really is getting into the swing of things. She's learning, she's learning. :D

I wasn't expecting the sudden and quick USB scene there in the next, but of course, hunters are becoming the hunted, this is going to be great isn't it. :D

Aaahh, lovely watching Yuka be reunited with her man, but of course the best part was definitely the playful banter they all had at Coulter's expense, even though I'm sure she was happy to see them. I love those brief moments of respite of where they have these little cheeky banters, it's just warming and nice to see, plus it shows their connection and bond as a group of besties, it's awesome. :D

Damn! What a fight scene that ensured afterwards, but I see that Astrid certainly got the worst part of it all. Yet once again, I still like Safiye despite what she just done. Damn, I really do like my bad women don't I......Hhhmmm, it would explain a lot. :D :P

In all fairness here. Safiye did get exactly what she deserved, and to be honest, she got a fate worse than death. Now while yes, she'll probably die a painful and a lonely death anyway, it won't be directly by Coulter's doing, it will be Safiye's own death as she won't have the resources able to sustain her. Hhhmm, I must admit, I wasn't expecting you to go down this road, but bravo for taking one heck of a risk, but honestly I think it paid off as let's face, it gives the viewers the end to Safiye that I'm sure many wanted to see and it doesn't destroy or harm Coulter or her character development as a whole. Expertly done, if I do say so myself. :D :geek:

I really enjoyed the interactions between Yuka and Coulter afterwards, they were very touching and you know me. I love those sorts of scenes, I got to have my character developments haha. :D :lol:

A lovely little USB scene with Tsuki and some random woman passing by. It has be done. :D

And that's that. It seems Yuka and Rashid are FINALLY a couple. God I've been waiting for this moments for so long, over a year in fact, so heck yeah, this scene makes it all worth while. FINALLY! :D 8-)

Oh. :oops: .............And then she gets laid afterwards. Now in all fairness, after everything she's been through and what he's bene through, I'd probably have a lot of built up sexual desire too, so I can fully understand why they did this. let's face it, after so long, you just want to embrace each other. :D

Please note, this is PART ONE of my review. I know there's more, but my eyes are burning from focusing on the screen too long, pelase give me a couple of hours, and I'll be back on to review the rest. :D :D
Trackman281

Post by Trackman281 »

Continued

Hhhhmm so Coulter had both a brother and a sister, now this could be interesting. :geek:

Another amazing USB scene featuring Tsuki. Seriously we may have to get a calculator out at some point and tally this up, because at least one of these characters must have performed a USB world record or something by this point, it's awesome! :lol: 8-)

Yisüi being as adorable as ever in the next scene, although I see Yuka had "that" moment, of where the friends walk by the door just as the mattress was a rocking, tehehe. :D

Damn! This took a turn rather quickly didn't they. One of the many things that I've always appreciated in your stories is, your never afraid to throw any curve balls our way and really mix things up, I really like it, because that means you're never quite sure what to expect your stories so it keeps you focused and on edge. It's wonderful, although I did see Tsuki's little fourth wall break there, splendid! :D

Bloody hell...........That's literally the thing I said out loud (woke the dogs too), when I reading that scene. I mean I won't lie, I actually expected Tsuki to die from the beginning, and I won't lie, even though I knew this, it still couldn't truly prepare me for the emotional, heart warming, saddening and amazing scene this was. Yuka's and Tsuki's final moments were something to truly, truly be remembered. While USB scenes are naturally the bread and butter here (obviously), it truly doesn't stop stories from being incredibly plot focused, to have meaningful, relatable and incredible written characters. Yuka's and Tsuki's relationship throughout this entire saga was the BEST point from the outset. I don't mind what happens after or what even came before. This, and I do mean THIS scene, IS thee BEST scene throughout this entire series, such feels, such emotions, just pure talent and genuine genius story telling and dialogue all the way through. :D :D

GOD DAMN THAT ENDING THOUGH! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I genuinely didn't expect you to end this series like this, I mean damn, I knew Safiye was going to die, but not only did I not expect you to show it, I also didn't expect you to really go into detail. She died a very painful and a very strong death.......WAIT, wait, I'm not being negative, no, no, no, I just didn't expect it to be so eye opening.......She died alone, delirious, lost in visions of what could have been rather than what was. Holy hot ham and cheese sir.......Not to self, never get on Rufus's bad side. :D :D

That was AMAZING! What a gripping and perfect series, I'm actually really sorry it's over, because while yes, it took me an eternity to finish it, it didn't dampen the impact. Seriously this is going to be one of series that you will always be remembered for (or certainly in my eyes at least)........I can't believe I'm about to say this and it's going to sound strange, but I'm not joking.............COPYRIGHT THIS!!!!!!........Something this amazing and this well crafted, needs to be protected. You need to copyright this, so it can't be stolen. Something this epic needs to be adapted either as a comic, a cartoon, an anime or stuff a fully fledged live action series. I mean come on, this has everything!

I loved this from start to finish, I just can't get over how you created all of this. The lore, the world, the characters, the outfits, the story itself, all of it just screamed perfection and made me want more. You were and still already one of my most favourite writers, not just for USB stories but in general and this has only further cemented your legacy as one of the greats. I still have so many questions, but I'm little taking back in shock that I've actually finished this amazing saga, that I can't fully work out which questions I want to ask you first, just know that this will always be the proof that you are one of the greatest writers around and if you ever doubt yourself in the future about how awesome you are.......Just read this comment. ;) :D

I'm sure you and I will be talking about this awesome adventure yours long into the future, but I'll forever shower this series with praise. Be proud of yourself, you've written something that someone like me could only ever dream of, you've done such an amazing job and I really do hope you're pleased with yourself. :D :D
rufusluciusivan

Trackman! Took you long enough!
You don't have to apologize for that though. I wouldn't cast the first stone at you. I can relate with having no motivation to read or write... ;) Because that's exactly what I'm feeling right now!

Chapter 6 part 4
I enjoyed Yuka's reflection about what had happened previously and the revelation about "Nahid". Yeah, now you said all that, it does make sense now. Very nice!
Yuka's a heart stealer, and without even trying. :lol:

I'm glad you enjoyed the uniform stealings and takedowns of these parts.

While it ultimately didn't play an important role in the story, I really enjoyed writing Tosca's and Alessia's little subplot. It felt good to expand on these women's personalities.

Though the star of these final parts was indeed Tsuki. She has reached the final stage of her character development (too bad it's negative character development - as an antagonist, her entire arc revolves around the fact that she's sinking deeper and deeper). Though I confess her jokes were meant to be unnerving instead of funny. You can clearly see my source of inspiration for her (Batman's Joker) here. Same with her detached way of realizing she broke her spine and half of her bones. She's become so out of touch with reality that she doesn't care about such things anymore.

I wish I could have featured more confrontations between Coulter and Safiye to build up the moment when Coulter would finally have her revenge, but the setting made it hard to come up with them.

Chapter 6 Part 5

"Rampage", that's indeed exactly the word/the feeling I wanted to convey.

I've always liked the scenario of someone coming across the victim of a uniform stealing and asking her questions, but then having to keep her bound-and-gagged because it would put their mission in jeopardy.

Ichtaca's entire character was built around making her comeuppance satisfying. ;)

Because of the story's format and plot, Safiye didn't end up becoming an antagonist as active as I would've liked originally - but I was happy to be able to include at least one moment in which her being an infiltrator actually also made her very good at COUNTERING infiltrations (ironically).
“Well, at the very least, we’ve destroyed her self-esteem, her bedding, AND her wardrobe. I consider it a small victory.”
My favorite line of this part. ;)

Azeneth is probably Yuka's closest friend, so I'm always looking forward to write scenes between them.

I really wanted to highlight Safiye's despicableness in these final parts. While she ended up more sympathetic than intended (her originally planned version wasn't even supposed to have a sympathetic backstory explaining her actions), she's still rotten to the core.

Yuka, Azeneth, Yisüi, Jinora, and Coulter have a great group dynamic - my favorite out of my stories, and one of my favorites across all stories on this Board (alongside with the dynamic between the Nine Sisters). It's a perfect blend of serious heartwarming friendship moments, and funny banters. And I think it's partly linked to Coulter's personality, precisely because she's NOT on the same page as the other four - the playful teasings just write themsleves.
Now while yes, she'll probably die a painful and a lonely death anyway, it won't be directly by Coulter's doing, it will be Safiye's own death as she won't have the resources able to sustain her. Hhhmm, I must admit, I wasn't expecting you to go down this road, but bravo for taking one heck of a risk, but honestly I think it paid off as let's face, it gives the viewers the end to Safiye that I'm sure many wanted to see and it doesn't destroy or harm Coulter or her character development as a whole.
Coulter has had a lot of character development, but ultimately most of it was centered around her opening up to Yuka and the other women of her team. She's still a deeply flawed person. I think it would have been illogical for her to give up on her revenge. She has stewed in her anger for a decade. Her decision to leave Safiye to die was meant to be cruel. I thought it was an interesting (and logical) development: Coulter does NOT make the "moral" choice. She's not good enough for that.

Yep. Yuka and Rashid get together (and do a lot more than that :lol: ). After all they lived through, I thought it was logical they'd let the adrenaline talk. I wanted to conclude this subplot, even though it's not USB-related. I'm glad it had been pointed out by tirepanted and you as a good thing, even though it's not USB-related. As I've often said, in my opinion it's important to show that the characters have lives outside of stealing clothes - readers simply can't care about what happens to the heroines if they're just interchangeable vessels there to steal uniforms. They have to be fleshed out, they have to have lives outside of stealing uniforms. The problem therefore is of course to feature these plot-related scenes without breaking the pace of the uniform stealings.
Yisüi being as adorable as ever in the next scene, although I see Yuka had "that" moment, of where the friends walk by the door just as the mattress was a rocking, tehehe. :D
It's very immature, but I like to imagine that Yuka was also very loud - so they didn't only hear the mattress rocking... :lol:
Hhhhmm so Coulter had both a brother and a sister, now this could be interesting. :geek:
Coulter is very tight-lipped about herself, her family and her past. The fact that she mentions even snippets of it to Yuka shows they've become closer. Same thing when she hinted to Yuka that she's bisexual - revealing something Yuka was curious to know about her.
Damn! This took a turn rather quickly didn't they. One of the many things that I've always appreciated in your stories is, your never afraid to throw any curve balls our way and really mix things up, I really like it, because that means you're never quite sure what to expect your stories so it keeps you focused and on edge. It's wonderful, although I did see Tsuki's little fourth wall break there, splendid! :D
Yup, the brutality of Tsuki's irruption was meant to make the climax more memorable, since it's the last confrontation.

Sadly, Tsuki was always meant to die - her entire character arc, the entire tragedy of her relationship with Yuka, was built around the fact that she couldn't be saved or redeemed. The tragedy coming from the fact that neither she or Yuka are fully responsible of that. It's an unfair situation, and that's what makes it sad. I'm glad to see you were very invested in these characters. ;)
I genuinely didn't expect you to end this series like this, I mean damn, I knew Safiye was going to die, but not only did I not expect you to show it, I also didn't expect you to really go into detail. She died a very painful and a very strong death.
Safiye was indeed unlucky to be my character, as she embodies a character archetype I've grown to hate. She paid for everyone else. :twisted: Though joke aside, I wanted an ironic fate for all my main villains. Safiye selfishly betrayed everyone around her because she only cared about herself? She dies alone and hated by all. Tsuki went to insane length to have Yuka for herself? She gets her wish: Yuka acknowledges she's the one who matters the most to her, and then Tsuki dies right after.

Knowing in advance the fate of your characters can be one of the saddest aspects of writing. Since the very beginning, I knew that Safiye and Tsuki were both going to die - their deaths were intregally part of their character arcs, and were in fact some of the first scenes I drafted. It was hard to not spoil anything!
I'm actually really sorry it's over, because while yes, it took me an eternity to finish it, it didn't dampen the impact.
Well, hopefully the future updates will satiate you... ;) Whenever I finally post them... :oops:
rufusluciusivan

Apologies for being so quiet and slow lately. I guess it's caused by a myriad of reasons, but I really have no motivation whatsoever, even to read others' latest instalments. I can't believe it even took me so much time to finish this epilogue... Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy it. Next step is the final arc. To make sure there won't be the same sort of hiatus in-between parts, I think I'll try to post it in one go. Hopefully before the end of the year.

Chapter 6: Epilogue

Ixchel was a tall fit woman with coarse short black hair, a long nose, and dark brown eyes. Her hairstyle was a high braid kept in place with leather straps. Her dark skin had the warm brown colour of copper.

The thirty-years-old woman was a guard.

However, Ixchel wasn’t working for a noble house or for the imperial army. Therefore, her outfit didn’t have the usual colours (black, red or white-and-golden). Her ample short-sleeved knee-long tunic was forest green, and a matching green headband was covering her forehead. She was however as well equipped as a soldier of the army. A leather belt was tied around her waist to secure her tunic. Brown leather protections, adorned with religious symbols, were covering her forearms and her calves. She was armed with a small round shield, a spear with a blade made of obsidian, and an obsidian dagger. She was also wearing brown leather sandals.

Ixchel was working for a temple.

While the people of Pakal believed their gods had been killed a long time ago, they still worshiped them, as they were revering their sacrifice. The Temples didn’t have much political power anymore, but they were fulfilling the roles of schools, libraries, or hospitals, and they still were cultural hubs. Many of them contained rare books, offerings or artifacts that needed to be protected. Therefore, each was watched by a small contingent of guards. While these men and women often acted more as attendants and caretakers, they were still armed and trained to fight.

Ixchel was patrolling the external parts of the temple complex. She was under the service of the cult of Nacatliclue, goddess of earth, harvests, healing, and fertility. While there wasn’t a rule forbidding men to join this cult, most of its temples housed only women. A logical thing, since one of the main functions of the cult was to provide midwives. The heads of the cult knew the dangers of setting young handsome men loose in a group of impressionable pretty young women, therefore most of the priests worked as wandering healers and agronomists. They would settle in a temple once they were older and less good-looking. For the same reason, the guards of the temples were usually all women.

Since Nacatliclue was the goddess of harvests and fertility, her temples had to sport a lush vegetation. All the buildings of the complex were surrounded by trees, bushes, and gardens. Of course, it had the downside of making patrols harder. The plant life was indeed a godsend for any intruder. Still, most guards weren’t complaining. The cult of Nacatliclue was so popular among the people that even thieving crews never attempted to rob them.

Ixchel yawned, and passed in front of the door of a storage room. She frowned and paused briefly when she heard some sort of weird scratching noise, but shrugged and decided it was nothing. She kept on walking.

Behind her, the door was suddenly opened. A pair of hands burst out of the storage room, and grabbed the woman from behind. One hand was clamped over her mouth, one arm was wrapped around her throat, and she was swiftly dragged into the storage room.

“Whht?!”

Before the guard could process what was happening, she felt a sting. Someone, an accomplice of her attacker, had jabbed a needle into a very specific part of her body, right between the shoulder and the neck.

Then Ixchel felt a weird sensation. It was as if a soft warm liquid was spreading across her body. She let out one soft long moan. Next, her body went limp, and she fell into a deep slumber.

Azeneth dragged the motionless guard into the back of the storage room. Nahid discarded the needle she had used to knock out Ixchel, and helped her accomplice: She grabbed the unconscious woman’s legs, and helped the metis carry her burden.

In the corner of the room, there were already four guards. Two of them had a dark copper-coloured skin and thick coarse black hair, the other two had a tanned skin and brown hair. However, these four were a lot less dressed than Ixchel. Their stolen uniforms were currently lying on the floor – or were already worn by an impostor. As undergarments to cover their private parts, they were using green loincloths wrapped around their hips and tucked up and in-between their legs. Two of them had the bad luck of being topless under their tunic, therefore their breasts were on full display. The other two were wearing thin light green sleeveless undertunics that were covering the top part of their torso, leaving their navel and well-toned belly exposed.

Each woman was bound: her wrists were cross-tied behind the back, her thighs were secured together, her calves and ankles were bound, and her arms were pinned down against her sides by a rope. Each woman was OTM-gagged with a thick scarf that was preventing her from spitting the balled-up cloth shoved into her mouth.

Azeneth was already in disguise.

Jinora and Yisüi were also already wearing the stolen clothes of two temple guards. The former was helping the latter dye her blond hair black, and apply make-up to darken her pale white skin. Even though they were in a mission, it was clear Yisüi was enjoying being looked after, and Jinora was enjoying doing the make-up for her.

As usual, Coulter had a sour face. She was sulking in a corner without taking part in the mugging and stripping of the guards. She was also already in disguise. However, as usual, she hadn’t helped to knock out or to strip the woman who had provided her clothes. Coulter’s curly red hair were tightly braided and dyed black – much to her chagrin. Apparently, conjuring up an illusion for hours was even more annoying than using mundane means to change her face. But she still hated it when her hair were tied and dyed.

Azeneth laid Ixchel onto the floor. The guard moaned faintly in her sleep, and let out a long sigh.

“Her uniform will fit you. I thank you for coming with us. I welcome the helping hand. And Yu’ needs to rest.” the metis said to the other woman helping her.

Nahid smiled lightly. “I’m not a pampered courtesan of the Seraglio. In the desert tribes, even the noblewomen have to get their hands dirty.”

“I feel a little bad for Yu’… I hope she won’t be too mad we left without her…” Yisüi commented. “And while she was sleeping...”

“I didn’t want to give her the choice. She needed to rest, after all that happened with Tsuki. It’s only been two weeks... I’d have tied her up to her bed, if I had to.” Azeneth said with determination.

“Radical.” Jinora commented.

“It would have been for her own good.” Azeneth briefly looked pensive. “Plus, you have to admit, such an experience must be interesting…”

“Keep your strange fantasies to yourself, please.” Coulter snarked from her corner.

“You have to understand her.” Jinora intervened with a small smile. “A long time has passed since Yisü’s last training session. Az’ misses being used as a dummy for rope practice.”

Yisüi covered her mouth to hide her chuckle.

“Hey! Stop conspiring, you two!” Azeneth jokingly commented.

As they were talking, the metis was removing the clothes of Ixchel. She unclipped the weapons belt, and unlaced the sandals.

Nahid was helping her, but she was having a hard time keeping up the same pace.

“Do you always do small talk while doing all this?” she couldn’t help but ask.

Azeneth winked as she was unstrapping the leather protections on the forearms and calves. “Stick with me long enough, and you’ll see it comes naturally. You should just try.”

She finished the job by removing the headband and the tunic, and rolled the motionless woman onto her stomach. Once again, Ixchel moaned softly in her sleep. Then the metis grabbed a coil of rope, crossed the guard’s wrists behind her back, and started to bind them.

Ixchel was wearing the same undergarments as her colleagues: a green loincloth and a light green undertunic that was leaving her well-toned belly and her navel exposed.

Nahid grabbed the woman’s shapely legs and an other rope, which she wrapped around the calves to restrain them. She was at the same time trying to come up with a subject of conversation. “Well…” Nahid thought of a topic. “Is there something... Between Rashid and Yuka?”

“Why do you ask?” Azeneth asked back, with caution, ignoring the small noises her deeply asleep victim was making.

Nahid shook her head. “Oh, it’s not about Rashid, if that’s what worries you. I’m a noble from Ghazan. For people like me, marriage is a matter of alliance and politics. Not love.”

“Then why do you want to know?”

Nahid suddenly looked embarrassed. “It was silly anyway.”

Azeneth raised an eyebrow, and suppressed a small amused smile. At the same time, she finished the last knot of the rope restraining the guard’s wrists. “I see… You were wondering if YUKA is available, weren’t you?” the metis joked.

The other woman was avoiding her eyes by pretending to focus on her ropework. “As I said, for someone from my background, marriage is a matter of politics. We are only expected to keep up appearances in public. But in private, we can see other people.”

“Unfortunately, Yuka can’t be part of these other people. She’s not into women.”

Nahid shook her head. “By the One True God, let’s just stop doing this! I’m terrible at small talk!”

Azeneth chuckled but, charitable, she didn’t insist. Instead, she helped Nahid secure the ropes binding the guard’s calves and thighs.

“You have to forgive Az’. She has a hard time respecting etiquette.” Jinora intervened.

“Etiquette isn’t as important as you think in the desert tribes.” Nahid answered with a shrug. “Though I admit, it is strange to act so familiar with strangers. Not unpleasant, but strange.”

She and Azeneth restrained the guard’s upper-arms and shoulders by binding a rope around them, to pin them against her sides.

“I’d appreciate that you don’t mention the subject to Yuka though. Or to Rashid for that matter.” Nahid added.

“Of course.”

Coulter left her sulking corner, and chimed in. “Maybe you can try your luck with that one.” she snarkingly commented. “Apparently, your touch isn’t leaving her indifferent.” The redhead pointed at Ixchel. Indeed, the guard had a weird pout on her lips. From a certain angle, it almost looked like a smile.

Nahid looked very embarrassed.

“Stop hazing her now!” Jinora intervened. She looked at Nahid. “You have to forgive Coulter too. She hates it when we touch her hair, so she always feels the need to take out her anger on someone.”

Yisüi hid an other chuckle with her hands. “But it’s a shame.” she added. “Her hair are so fluffy and soft, we all wish she’d let us do them more often...”

Coulter grumbled and groused under her breath. “I think I preferred you two when you were meek around me…”

“Blame our adventures.” Jinora said with a smile.

Azeneth stuffed Ixchel’s mouth with a few clean rags, and tightly tied a thick piece of cloth over her mouth and around her lower face to cover her lips.

“All done!” Azeneth exclaimed.

She looked at the five half-naked bound-and-gagged guards lying in front of her.

“Now, what to do with these lovely ladies?”

In the storage room, they found three unused long tugs. They rolled one guard in each, and left the rolled carpets in a remote corner. The last two remaining guards were stashed in empty big jars. Said jars were closed, while leaving small crack to allow fresh air to enter.

Finally, Nahid slipped into her own disguise. Once she was done, the five women posing as temple guards left the storage room, pretending to be a patrol on duty.

Fourteen days had passed since Tsuki’s death. It was, at the same time, a very long and a very short amount of time.

Shapeshifters didn’t bury their dead. They cremated them, then scattered their ashes so that they would nourish the soil.

Doing it to Tsuki proved to be harder than anything Yuka had done before. Thankfully, Coulter had agreed to use her powers to do it. She had made it quick.

The following days were even harder. Without the support of her friends and of Rashid, Yuka wouldn’t have made it. They were taking turns to watch over her. She was taking a potion made by Jinora to help her sleep. They were talking to her to ease her mind, even though she rarely answered.

After two weeks, she was starting to feel a little better – in that she wasn’t spending most of her day in a catatonic state.

For the moment, Yuka was resting on her bed.

She was sleeping.

She was dreaming.

She was floating.

Yuka saw brief snippets of other people's lives. Were they mere dreams or were they glimpses of other worlds? Dreams were, after all, supposed to be gateways to other realities. Or perhaps they were mere dreams. Yuka couldn't tell.

Yuka saw the corrupted world she had briefly visited, the one in which she had mugged a plague doctor. She saw a small team of agile women ambush a group of female cultists to steal their black-and-purple hooded long robes. The cultists were all using white make-up to lighten their skin, and black dye to darken their hair. The heroines' goal was to destroy the Black Star once and for all. They left the shift-clad cultists concealed in a dark cell of the dungeon. Yuka wished them good luck.

Yuka saw a conqueror rally the twelve kingdoms of his people under his banner, then launch a grand conquest of all neighboring lands to unify them through war. Unable to defeat him on the battlefield, his enemies sent several saves of infiltrators to try to assassinate him. Alas, none of them succeeded, and for centuries infiltration became a tactic used against the nation he created.

Yuka saw a young woman, in her early- or mid-twenties, with braided black hair. She was wearing a prim and proper beige long skirt, and a white long-sleeved puffy button-up blouse. A red scarf was tied around her neck, and there was a rectangle with her name on it pinned onto her blouse. She was called Zoé, and was working in an association helping children. She was going back home. Yuka then noticed that some sort of mercenary was following the young woman. Said mercenary was wearing a black leather jacket, a blood red t-shirt, black trousers, black fishnet fingerless gloves, and black boots. Her skin was pale white, her eyes were brown, her spiky hair were dyed electric blue, and she had black lipstick and a ring on her right nostril. Yuka could clearly see the mercenary was waiting for an opportunity to ambush and kidnap her target. However, while Zoé looked like a well-behaved young lady, she had been raised by women who had taught her how to fight... and many other things. Yuka only needed one glance at Zoé's eyes to see how crafty the latter was. Indeed, Zoé easily noticed she was being followed. Yuka saw the young woman enter an alleyway. The mercenary followed her, unaware that she was now the prey who was going to be ambushed. There were the sounds of a brief scuffle, a few punches, and grunts. Fifteen minutes, Zoé was exiting the alleyway. She was now wearing the mercenary's clothes, and was adjusting her black fishnet gloves. The half-conscious real mercenary was left stashed inside an empty dumpster, bound with strips of Zoé’s former clothes and cleave-gagged with Zoé's red scarf. The blue-haired woman was now clad in a black fishnet bra and black fishnet panties. The mercenary was moaning softly. On her face, their was a frown of disgust, as she could feel the taste of her socks stuffed into her mouth, which she couldn’t spit because of the cleave-gag. Zoé was hoping her change of clothes would fool an eventual other pursuer. She needed to find out who had sent that mercenary after her. Someone had probably guessed her true identity...

Yuka saw a tall elegant woman with a slightly tanned skin, an aquiline nose, brown eyes, and dark brown hair. She was wearing brown sandals, and a tunica. It was a long white sleeveless tunic composed of two rectangular pieces of cloth with the top section open. The garment was pinned down the shoulders and arms, fastened at each shoulder with a brooch, and belted at the waist. Over the tunica, she was wearing a bright red palla: a long shawl wrapped around her shoulders and her body. Her hairstyle consisted of rolled plaits. The elegant woman was walking the corridors of a villa. Yuka felt tingling in the back of the neck. Her senses were tingling. Therefore, she wasn't surprised when she suddenly saw an intruder drop down from the ceiling, behind the unsuspecting woman. The elegant woman never knew what hit her. In no time, she was hand-gagged, and knocked out cold with a neckchop. She barely let out a peep, then her eyes rolled back and she slumped into her attacker's arms. The infiltrator dragged her victim inside an empty secondary bedroom of the villa, and swiftly stripped her - sandals included. The elegant woman's undergarments were a white loincloth type garment called a subligar, and a type of bra called a fascia, a simple band made of soft leather, tied around her breasts. The intruder pulled out a few coils of ropes, and used them to bind the unconscious woman's wrists behind her back, and to bind her ankles and her thighs. Then, she used one last coil to ball-tie her into a seated position, with her thighs resting against her breasts. A thick cloth was used to stuff-gag the woman, then an other thick scarf was tied over her mouth, and a third one was used as a blindfold. The intruder noticed a huge decorative vase, one that was more the size of a big jar. Wide enough to contain a seated woman. With a smile, the intruder took the ball-tied woman in her arms, and put her inside the vase. She pushed on the woman's limp body to push her into the bottom of the vase, in order to conceal her. Finally, the intruder removed her own gear and slipped into the stolen clothes.

Yuka saw a strange vessel made of steel being sent to explore the stars. Yuka saw a metal ship being assaulted by pirates. Yuka saw demons conduct an impious ceremony. Their leader was a tall statuesque woman, wearing an elegant white dress and a large hat. Yuka saw an army of similar-looking women assault the building. They were wielding strange weapons, which spat fire and shot metal.

Yuka suddenly felt tears start to drip down her cheeks. She saw the future of her younger counterpart, the one she had encountered when she had been traveling in between worlds.
She saw Hinata and Tsuki grow up. She saw Tsuki become more confident in her skills, and more independent. She saw Hinata master her power of prescience. She saw her blind friend predict that the Pakal army would come to raze their village.
She saw their group of three friends, now young women, lead their people during a mass exodus, to search for a promised land outside the Empire.
She saw Hinata use her visions to lead her people. She saw all the hidden villages of shapeshifters on their way join their exodus. She saw them broker a deal with the main Charioteer clans, and their two people joined forces to leave the Empire. She saw Hinata become a leader. The refugees called her the Seer, and made her their ruler.
She also saw the other Yuka and Tsuki having to mug many women for disguise in order to protect their escape. Many soldiers and guards were left humiliated and humbled and half-naked in their path... As well as village lasses, sailors, bandits, pilgrims, town officials, and a few merchants. But this time, it wasn't for revenge. They never took a dark path.
She saw their people reach an isolated land, near the border between the Vassal Kingdoms and Gengis.

“This place is so cold.” Tsuki muttered while adjusting her thick woolen scarf.

“It didn’t look as cold in my visions.” Hinata added.

Yuka took them both in her arms.

“It’s because we haven’t built anything yet.” she said. “This place’s not perfect, but it’s our home. Here, we can live free.”

Hinata and Tsuki smiled. The three friends embraced each other.

Yuka saw her people build wooden houses and palisades. They brokered deals with the Order of the Thorn, nearby khanates, and Charioteer clans to carve themselves a small principality.

Yuka saw an other tale, one that could fill an entire life. An entire story. A tale of friendship and war, of love and freedom. A tale of-

“Wake up, Yu’! Wake up!”

Yuka didn’t want to wake up. She was so happy to see that, at least in one world, her friends and her counterpart were alive and well. She wanted to see more.

“WAKE UP!”

“Wake up, Yu’! Wake up!”

Yuka opened her eyes, and groaned. Slowly, heavily, she sat on her bed.

“It was a dream?” she groggily muttered while rubbing her forehead.

She stopped.

She was in a room with white walls.

In front of her, there was a young woman with soft loose midback-long black hair, and a light skin. Her eyes were white. She was blind.

This Hinata wasn’t looking regal or like some sort of leader. She was wearing plain clothes. She was an image of who the Hinata of Yuka’s world could have become... had she lived.

Yuka shook her head. “This isn’t real… Still a dream…” she muttered to herself.

Hinata took her hand. “Does it matter?” she softly retorted. “I think not. Besides, there’s someone who wants to talk to you.”

Hinata moved slightly. An other young woman was hiding behind her. Yuka immediately recognized her.

“Tsu’?”

Tsuki was looking a lot healthier in the dream. She probably took better care of herself, of her hair, and of her body. Without the Black Star, Tsuki probably would have grown into the fine woman standing in front of Yuka.

“I’m sorry… I caused so much trouble… to you and to many people...” Tsuki whispered.

Yuka didn’t try to hold back her tears.

“Tsu’… It is I who’s sorry… I couldn’t save you… It’s because of me that-”

Tsuki took her other hand, and shook her head. “Don’t cry, Yu’. Be happy for me. I feel relieved. It’s over... It's finally over... I can’t hurt anyone anymore. It's like waking up after a long nightmare. I’m free, now...”

“You don’t have to regret anything. You did your best.” Hinata softly added.

Yuka grimaced. “It wasn’t enough…”

“It was.” Hinata sternly retorted while tightening her grip on her hand. “Don’t you dare say otherwise.”

Yuka took a deep breath. She didn’t want to argue with her. She had an other priority...

“Hina’… Tsu’… Can I… take you in my arms? It’s maybe my last chance…”

They smiled.

“Of course.”

She embraced them, and they hugged her back.

“It’s time for you to move on, Yu’.” Hinata gently commented while caressing her friend's hair. “I'm not asking you to forget us. Just to move on. You have other friends who will help you. You have other friends who care about you, who love you. You don’t have to feel guilty just because you’re happy with someone else than us.”

"I know. But it's hard." Yuka confessed.

"We'll always stay with you." Tsuki added. “Until the end of time. If you need to remember us, just look at the Moon.”

The room’s white walls were becoming brighter and brighter. Their light was starting to engulf Hinata and Tsuki.

Yuka held her two clan sisters closer. “Don’t leave yet! Give me more time!” she begged them. “Just a little more time!”

Hinata gently got out of her hug. There was so much sadness in her blind eyes…

“I wish we could stay with you too… but alas, these things are not for us to decide...” she softly answered.

The white light was becoming dazzling. Hinata and Tsuki had almost disappeared now. The dream was ending.

“Hina’! I’d have one more question!” Yuka exclaimed. “This… You... This isn’t real, right? This is merely a dream… right?”

Hinata smiled. “Of course it's a dream. But why should that mean it's not real?”

Yuka woke up.

Rashid was sitting on a chair next to her.

“Ah. You’ve woken up.” he softly commented.

The shapeshifter sat on her bed. She took a few deep breaths to recover from her dream, then she looked at him and smiled.

“Are you okay?” he suddenly asked with a worried tone of voice.

Yuka realized tears were flowing on her cheeks. She dried them.

“Yes. Just… Growing up a little.” she answered. Her voice was a little hoarse. “And moving on. Because that's the best thing we can do. Keeping on living.”

He nodded. She didn’t need to explain anything to him. Rashid understood. After all, he had already lost his brother, as well as his mother a long time ago.

Yuka looked around her.

“You’re alone? That’s rare.” she commented.

“They asked me to watch over you.” Rashid explained.

Yuka frowned. “Why would they do that? Where are Az’ and the others?”

“On a mission. They didn’t want to wake you up.”

“Coulter?”

“Azeneth dragged her along. Nahid chose to go too. Her bodyguards are mad she left them behind, without even telling them.”

Yuka jumped out of the bed. “I’ll regroup with Az’s team.”

“Happy to see you’ve recovered.” Rashid dryly commented with a small smile.

“How could I not? I’m surrounded by people who shower me with love and friendship.”

“I guess there’s no point trying to stop you.”

“Your guess is right.”

She kissed him on the cheek, then quickly left the room to change herself.

Yuka would of course never forget her past. But she didn’t have to let grief define her either. She would cherish the memories of Hinata and Tsuki. She would live a long plentiful life to honor them. And she would also cherish the friends she still had. As well as Rashid.

For their mission, Azeneth and her team needed to enter the main building of the temple complex. They chose to go through the gardens to reach it. There would be less people.

Azeneth was walking in the front. She was playing the part of the patrol leader. Nahid, Coulter, Jinora, and Yisüi were walking behind her, in pairs.

“Infiltrating this place is surprisingly easy.” Nahid commented. “I didn’t think temples would have so little protection.”

“Temples are extremely popular among the commoners. They feed the poor, and take care of commoners’ education and healing. They don’t fear an attack. Even thieves leave them alone.” Azeneth explained. “We usually don’t target them for a reason. If that temple didn’t hold the specific catalyst Rashid needs for his plan, we would have left it alone...”

“So Rashid isn’t as idealistic as I thought…” Nahid commented.

“I won’t pretend we’re something we’re not. We’re not dashing heroines. We’re fighting for a faction in a war.” Azeneth answered with a shrug. “Rashid doesn’t have anything against Pakal’s common folks, so he doesn’t got out of his way to harm them. But his true loyalty goes to his kingdom. We knew what it meant when we agreed to work for him, and we accept the responsibility.”

Jinora added: “Bringing down the Mages will make the government collapse. I believe it’ll ultimately be for the better. The Mages’ grip on our world is too tight, they are preventing change and progress for the sake of their power, and they’re a threat to all the free people. But we know there will also be negative consequences for Pakal, at least on short term.”

They stopped talking when they saw an other patrol from afar. Five armed women, wearing the same green tunics as them, who were walking on the other side of the garden.

“Stay natural. And don’t slow down or they may suspect something.” Azeneth whispered.

She briefly saluted the other patrol with her hand, but didn’t try to get closer. Thankfully, because of the distance and of the garden’s vegetation, the real guards weren’t able to get a good look at the impostors. Their leader saluted back, but they then kept walking without trying to get closer. The fake guards (save for Coulter) sighed in relief. Their disguises were working like a charm. Azeneth and her team sighed in relief. Still, the infiltrators decided they would walk the remaining distance in silence.

When they reached the main temple of the building complex, Azeneth decided to walk around it once, in order to look for the best entrance. At the same time, she was thinking of a plan.

She knew they’d need to enter the building’s most restricted rooms, the ones in which the holy objects were stored. Guards weren’t usually supposed to be in such rooms on their own. If someone saw them, they would immediately become suspicious.

There wouldn’t be a second chance. With their current clothes, their best course of action was to make sure the building was almost empty, so that nobody would spot them.

Or perhaps would it be wiser to have a quick change of clothes?

Azeneth was pondering which option would be better.

Suddenly, the metis raised her head. She had heard something. Her four companions heard the noises a few seconds later.

Azeneth pointed at the nearby grove of trees in the gardens. “Take cover.”

They all quickly hid behind the bushes, and watched.

A small procession was approaching the main temple.

There were eight women. They were walking by pairs. Each was carrying an empty bowl made of black obsidian stone each. They were chanting a low hymn.

“Vestals.” Jinora explained to her friends. “It’s a ritual of purification.”

The vestals were wearing similar priestly garments: a robe with ample sleeves, a shawl that was covering their hair, and brown leather sandals. Their robes were pure white and forest green, with a pattern of black lines and brown diamonds at the edges (collar, sleeves, and bottom). Their shawls were green and brown. They had a hairstyle consisting of three braids; but contrary to almost all Pakal women, they weren’t wearing any jewelry, not even one hair decoration. A forest green headband with golden yellow threads was tied around the forehead. Finally, a jade green cloth sash made of thick fabric was tied around the waist to secure the robe.

Nacatliclue was, among other things, the goddess of the harvests and the Earth. The vestals serving her temples therefore had to be from everywhere. Most had been given to the temple in their early childhood so they could have a better life. There was no Charioteer among the vestals though. Their kind was considered too ‘impure’.

Each pair of young women was from the same region: Two vestals had the coarse black hair, copper-coloured thick skin, oval face, long forehead, and almond-shaped dark brown eyes of Pakal subjects. Two were some kind of metis, with ancestors either from Ghazan or from across the ocean: They had softer brown hair, a softer tanned skin, and there were shades of green in their brown eyes. Two vestals were from the Vassal Kingdoms: their lighter skin and round-shaped faces and eyes were clear giveaways. The first one had chestnut hair and hazel eyes, the second one had auburn hair and green eyes. The last two vestals had ancestors from Gengis, as proven by their white skin and blue eyes. (They were probably the daughters of some slaves of the capital city.) The first one had dark blond hair, the second one had reddish blond hair.

From their hiding place in the bushes, Azeneth observed the small procession. The vestals apparently intended to walk around the main temple.

“We’ll need to rummage through the Temple’s sacred belongings to find the catalyst…” the metis mused out loud. “People will ask less questions if vestals are searching through the holy objects…” Azeneth took her decision. She looked at her friends, and commented: “I hope you aren’t uncomfortable at the prospect of assaulting clergywomen.”

Yisüi shrugged. “I do not believe in Pakal’s gods.”

“Charioteers do not believe in them either.” Coulter added.

“Our teachings are clear. There's only One True God, and Their name is Aharu Azdam.” Nahid said.

Jinora remained silent for a moment.

“Jinora?” Azeneth insisted.

The vestals arrived in a part of the temple’s gardens that was isolated from prying eyes. It was now or never.

“Let’s make it as quick as we can.” Jinora simply said.

Azeneth briefly squeezed her shoulder to show her friend her support, then silently gestured to get her team in position, before moving herself.

Once their trap was set up, she grabbed a few darts coated with a sleeping potion.

Azeneth took one long breath to calm herself.

Then she threw her two darts at the same time. She hit in the neck the pair of young women who were walking at the end of the procession, the ones who were metis. The two brown-haired vestals frowned and let out a small grunt each, but the needles of the dart were so thin they barely felt anything, and they thought these were merely insects. They kept on walking, and chanting with the others.

However, a few steps later, they suddenly felt very dizzy. They halted and staggered. The six other vestals were however too focused on their chant to notice. They kept on walking.

When the two brown-haired women let out soft moans and fell forward, the other vestals were too far to hear them. Plus, their chants were drowning the few noises.

Of course, the sound of them falling on the ground would have caught their attention, but the two brown-haired women never touched the ground. Mid-fall, an invisible force caught them. Coulter was using her power. Thanks to the artifact which was concealing her magic, the one built for her by Rashid’s scholars, she could use such power without drawing any attention. The redhead moved her hands slightly, and the two limp levitating bodies moved and were swallowed by the bushes.

Eventually, the six other women of the procession noticed the disappearance of their friends. However, when they stopped chanting and turned to look for them, the path was already empty. It was as if their friends had vanished.

“Where are Noora and Letta?” one black-haired young woman asked out loud.

Jinora and Yisüi immediately jumped out of the bushes. They grabbed the two vestals who used to walk at the front of the procession, and who therefore were now watched by no one. The ones from Gengis. Jinora clamped a rag soaked with a narcotic potion over the mouth and nose of the young woman with reddish blond hair, Yisüi did the same with the one who had dark blond hair. She was feeling bad about assaulting a woman from her own people, but she took solace in the fact that she was rendering her unconscious with a mere piece of cloth – not a strangulation or punches.

Of course, the two young women let out muffled cries for help the moment they were grabbed.

However, Azeneth’s plan was perfectly synchronized. Just as her two friends were capturing their targets, as per her orders, Nahid also exited her bush, and exclaimed: “HALT!”

She was still wearing the uniform of a temple guard, which fooled the vestals during the few seconds she needed. The four remaining young women reflexively obeyed her order, which made them realize a few seconds too late that their friends were being attacked.

By the time they finally understood, Azeneth had also left her hideout.

As Jinora and Yisüi were dragging their squirming targets out of the way, the metis jumped into the fray.

The auburn-haired vestal didn’t have the time to understand what hit her. In fact, she barely had the time to feel any pain – or anything for that matter. Azeneth swiftly hit a very specific part of her neck with the edge of the hand. The auburn-haired woman grunted. Her eyes rolled back, she dropped her ceremonial bowl, and her body went limp. She was knocked out cold for the count.

Azeneth grabbed the falling unconscious body, and immediately pushed her into the arms of a black-haired vestal. The other woman reflexively caught her friend, which of course left her defenseless and wide open for the metis’ next attack. Azeneth jabbed a dart into a very specific part of the black-haired woman’s body, between the shoulder and the neck. The vestal stammered, but Azeneth had hit a spot which would ensure the narcotic would spread fast.

Still, as a safety precaution, Nahid jumped the woman from the back, and hand-gagged her, to make sure she would stay silent the time needed for the potion to put her to sleep.

The vestal with chestnut brown hair was the first one to recover from her surprise. She realized she had to call for help.

Azeneth punched her in the stomach to cut her breath. The young woman bent forward with a gasp.

Sorry for that. Couldn’t let you scream. the metis thought to herself.

A quick neck-chop finished the job. Out cold, the chestnut-haired woman fell on the grass.

The last remaining vestal, the second one with black hair, thought she had an opening. She got ready to run and scream for help. However, at the same time, she felt the pressure of an invisible force. All around her, the air was blurry. And suddenly, an invisible force pinned her arms against her torso, and immobilized her legs together. Even her jaw was blocked! She couldn’t open her mouth, and therefore couldn’t scream.

Azeneth looked at her sympathetically. “Yeah, I know… Using magic in an infiltration is kinda cheating…” she commented. “But hey, it’s better than a knife to the throat, right?” She jabbed a narcotic dart in-between the vestal's shoulder and neck.

It felt a little strange to see the woman remain completely still, save for her eyes widening and frantically looking around her, even as the narcotic was putting her to sleep. The black-haired woman’s eyelashes fluttered, then her eyes rolled back, and her eyelids closed. She had fallen asleep.

Roughly at the same moment, the two blondes Yisüi and Jinora were holding finally succumbed to the narcotic fumes, and stopped struggling. With a few final soft moans and grunts each, their bodies relaxed, and they went limp as their minds drifted into a deep slumber.

Nahid let go of the young woman she had been hand-gagging, who was also deeply asleep now. The vestal laid on the grass while still holding in her arms her auburn-haired companion, as if they were merely napping together.

Coulter exited the bushes. She was still using her powers to make the unconscious black-haired vestal levitate.

“Why didn’t you use your powers to immobilize the eight of them?” Nahid asked her.

“Because it’s hard to silence eight people that way at the same time without BREAKING their jaws.” the redhead retorted. “And Azeneth would have made a fuss if I had made Jinora sad.”

“Coulter is many things, but she’s rarely subtle.” Azeneth commented. “Thank the gods you have me on your side. Subtlety is my biggest quality.” she then joked.

Coulter looked at the bunch of unconscious women lying on the grass in various awkward positions, or limply slumped in her companions’ arms. The chestnut-brown-haired one was lying face down and buns raised.

The red-haired mage-woman rolled her eyes. “Yeah. Subtlety.” she sarcastically commented.

Azeneth grabbed the chestnut-haired vestal by the ankles, and started to drag her away from the path. “Well, let’s hide this mess before someone asks us to clean it…” she ordered the others.

The infiltrators quickly disappeared into the bushes with their eight captives, until they were completely concealed.

Nobody came to bother them while they were stripping the eight young women. They removed everything save for the underwear: first the green-and-brown shawls and the forest green headbands with golden yellow threads, then the brown leather sandals, next the jade green cloth sashes, and finally the ample-sleeved long white-and-green robes with a pattern of black lines and brown diamonds at the edges.

They kept five sets of clothes for their disguises, and took the three remaining ones to turn them into makeshift ropes, blindfolds and gags.

As undergarments, each vestal was wearing a white full slip which was knee-long and with a pattern of green threads at the edges. The undergarments didn’t have sleeves, only straps over the shoulders.

They blindfolded, stuff-gagged and cleave-gagged each young woman with the discarded cloth sashes and strips of clothes. Then, they bound the vestals back to back and by pairs with their makeshift ropes: the two black-haired ones together, the two brunettes together, the auburn-haired one with the chestnut-haired one, and the two blondes together.

They tied each woman’s wrists in front of the other’s stomach, they bound each pair of women’s legs together, and finally wrapped ropes around each pair of women’s waists and upper-bodies. That way, their bodies were pinned together.

The four pairs of captives were dragged deeper in the garden. They were left lying on the soft grass, concealed under some thick bushes.

Finally, Azeneth, Jinora, Coulter, Nahid, and Yisüi removed their guard tunics and slipped into their new disguises. The robes proved to be surprisingly soft and comfortable. Of course, they also took the time to copy the hairstyles of their victims. Azeneth, Jinora, and Yisüi were all three delighted to do Coulter’s hair once more. Of course, the latter groused during the entire process.

Once they were ready, the five women tied their headband, grabbed the discarded ceremonial bowls, and returned on the path, pretending to be a procession.

They were heading towards the main temple.

The streets of Chichen Itza were rather quiet. It was even a bit eery. Yuka could feel something strange in the air. If was as if the entire capital city was holding its breath. Yuka’s guts were telling her the Mages were on to something.

For now, however, she ignored her intuition. She had more urgent matters.

Yuka quickly spotted the young woman making a delivery for the Temple of Nacatliclue with a cart pulled by two donkeys. She was some merchant’s apprentice, as proven by her necklace on which there was a metallic plaque with the engraved symbol of the town's merchant guild and the name of her master in pakal. Her clothes were rather simple: brown leather sandals, a sewn closed white cueitl with red borders and held with a red sash, and a golden brown huipil with a pattern of orange diamonds on the borders.

The short young woman was clearly from an other land: with her freckles on her lightly tanned skin, her red hair with a few brown shades tied into a crown braid, and her hazel green eyes. However, such things weren’t uncommon in a trade hub like Chichen Itza.

Yuka’s glowing touch convinced the young woman she had to take a break for the next couple of hours. And since the apprentice wouldn’t need her clothes and necklace during her nap, the shapeshifter saw nothing wrong in borrowing them.

She left the apprentice in her cart, in the middle of her wares, resting on a couple of rolled blankets and mats, and covered with an other thick blanket which was also concealing her. The young redhead was clad in a beige light knee-long underdress. Of course, a few coils of ropes and a cloth gag made sure she wouldn’t be able to cause a fuss before Yuka was done.

Under the guise of the young apprentice, and wearing said woman’s clothes, Yuka took a few wares, and entered the religious building complex, intending to grab an other disguise on the way.

It took Azeneth’s team quite some time to find what they were looking for, but thankfully they weren’t disturbed. Most of the priestesses were elsewhere, busy to attend to their duties, and they were able to avoid the few ones who weren’t. The guards were all patroling outside, save for one near the altar.

The holy objects of the Temple were kept in a specific storage room. Azeneth used a lockpick to open the door. Yisüi and Nahid were watching the corridors to make sure nobody would spot them.

Once the door was open, Jinora and Coulter searched the shelves until they saw what they were looking for, as they were the only ones with enough knowledge to recognize the catalysts.

“There it is.” Jinora finally said while pointing at something.

Coulter grabbed it. She was the only one who could touch it directly. The catalyst looked like an oval polished green jade gemstone.

Azeneth smiled. “Mission accomplished. Let’s hightail out of here.”

She locked the door from the outside to conceal the theft a little longer, and the group of fake vestals then retraced their steps.

“Well, that was easy.” Nahid couldn’t help but comment.

“Don't say that. You’ll jinx us.” Coulter retorted.

They stopped at a turn of a corridor when a woman clad in a priestly garb blocked their path.

“Too late.” the redhead complained.

Azeneth elbowed her, to remind her to not blow their cover. They were supposed to be meek obedient vestals.

“Ah! I’ve finally found you!” the newcomer commented.

She apparently thought they were real vestals. It was a little strange, but the temple was a big building complex, so maybe she didn’t know the face of all the vestals. Or maybe she was a new priestess who came from an other town. Azeneth didn’t care for the reason. She only cared about the fact that it was giving her an opportunity to avoid raising the alarm.

The woman was wearing the clothes of a priestess of Nacatliclue. She was clad in a brown long robe with green trimmings and a pattern of dark green diamonds on the edges, a jade green cloth sash with a pattern of golden brown diamonds tied around the waist, and a matching jade green and golden brown cloth headband, as well as long earrings, bracelets and a necklace all made of copper and adorned with obsidian stones.

Azeneth decided that a priestess robe would be a better disguise to leave the temple. She got ready to jump the woman.

The priestess apparently guessed her intention. She raised her hands.

“Don’t do it! It’s me!”

Her voice was familiar.

“Yu’?!” Azeneth exclaimed.

The priestess’ head briefly blurred, revealing a familiar face.

“I can’t believe you were having fun without me!” Yuka joked.

“Weren’t you supposed to take things easy?” Azeneth asked back.

“Is there a better warm-up for me?” the shapeshifter playfully retorted.

Azeneth played along. “Probably not.” She showed her the artifact. “However, you’re too late.”

Yuka shrugged. “Who cares? I just wanted to be with you.”

"But what about Tsuki?" Yisüi said with a worried tone of voice.

Yuka took a breath. "Dreams can be useful for some introspection. I chose to stop living in the past."

She shared a warm smile with Jinora, Yisüi, and Azeneth.

“Where did you find that outfit?” Coulter intervened.

The redhead would probably never lose her talent for ruining emotional moments...

Yuka patted the door of a big cupboard adorned with the carvings of religious symbols. It was meant to contain temple supplies, but COINCIDENTALLY it was also big enough to contain an adult woman divested of her priestess robe.

Coulter sighed. “Why did I even ask?”

Azeneth took a peak inside.

The real priestess was a gorgeous-looking woman: with big round firm breasts, wide hips and large buttocks, well-toned thighs, and shapely legs. Her black hair were waist-long, and her flawless skin had the warm brown colour of copper. Of course, she was scantily clad, which was highlighting her hourglass figure. As undergarments, she was wearing a light brown loincloth wrapped around the hips and between the legs, and a thin strap of green cloth covering her nipples and tied behind her back.

Azeneth whistled between her teeth. “If all priestesses are like her, I will seriously consider joining Pakal’s religion...”

“Nacatliclue was the goddess of fertility, among other things.” Jinora sheepishly explained.

Azeneth had a hard time to stop looking at the half-naked sexy woman.

“Az’?” Jinora insisted.

Coulter rolled her eyes, let out a groan of impatience, and closed the cupboard’s door.

“Killjoy.” the metis complained.

Yuka took a closer glance at the catalyst her friend was holding.

“So the final step of our plan is in motion…” she commented out loud, mostly to herself. “With that stone, Rashid’s scholars will craft the final tool we need...”

Yuka smiled.

Over the years, they had stolen enough catalysts to give Coulter a magical power unrivaled. Strong enough to stand up against the Mages’ collective might. However, such power was too hard to wield – even for her. Therefore, Rashid and his scholars had imagined a device that would help the mage-woman control such tremendous energy. But they needed a specific catalyst to make it work.

Yuka looked at Azeneth, Jinora, Yisüi, and Coulter.

“When we’re back at the hideout, we’ll have a little talk. I have something for you. For all of you.”

With Yuka’s priestess disguise, leaving the temple proved to be easier than expected. It wasn’t uncommon for a priestess to go in town with a group of vestals to do some errands. The guards didn’t question their lie, and no patrol tried to stop them for interrogation.

Disappearing in the capital city’s alleyways was then child’s play.

In fact, a patrol of female soldiers were kind enough to ‘donate’ their equipment, sandals, and their red long tunics and headbands to help them. All it took was for Yuka to ‘do her duty’ and report a ‘suspicious’ activity in a dark isolated alleyway. Fifteen minutes (and a few punches and neckchops) later, Yuka and her friends were in uniform, and playing the part of the patrol. The real soldiers were left taking a nap piled up in an alcove, stripped down to their brown sleeveless undertunics and loincloths; as well as bound hands and feet, blindfolded, and cleave-gagged with strips of religious robes.

They arrived in the hideout.

Rashid was overjoyed by their find. He immediately got down to work with his scholars.

Nahid’s bodyguards led their charge in her room. She had left without their consent, without even informing them, and they weren’t very happy about it. She was going to get a scolding… Apparently, even though they were commoners, Nahid’s two bodyguards had received full permission from her father to act as if they held superior rank whenever her security was threatened.

Though the last thing the noblewoman said to Azeneth and Yuka before her bodyguards closed the door was: “Worth it!”

Once she was alone with her closest friends, Yuka led Azeneth, Jinora, Yisüi, and Coulter in her bedroom, in order to give the gift she was thinking of. She rummaged through her belongings in the closet.

Coulter rolled her eyes. “Did you HAVE TO keep on with the mystery the entire time? What do you want with us?”

“To show you something.”

Yuka pulled out jade bangle bracelets.

“My treasure.” she explained.

“Nicely crafted.” Jinora commented.

The bangle bracelets were indeed exceptionally pure and smooth.

“Shapeshifters love jade. When it comes to jewels, our craftsmanship is unrivaled.” Yuka explained with a nod. “I’ve stopped wearing such jewels since-” She interrupted herself, and shook her head. “Anyway, I’ve decided it’s time for a new start.”

She put one on her right wrist, then with her other hand she offered one to each of her friends.

The others exchanged quick glances. Of course, while they weren’t experts of shapeshifter lore, they had lived long enough with Yuka to know that for her people, it was a token of great friendship.

“This is not necessary.” Yisüi commented.

Yuka put her empty hand on the blonde's shoulder. “It is.” she insisted. “For too long, I’ve looked at my past. To the point I sometimes forgot I also have friends in the present. No more. Tsu’ and Hina’ would’ve agreed with what I’m doing.”

Yuka then held the bracelets out to her friends.

Azeneth was the first to grab her piece of jewelry. “Well, you can’t refuse a gift.” she joked with a huge smile. She immediately tried it on, and admired it. “Friendship has never looked so glamorous!” she added.

Yisüi and Jinora shared a look, then smiled and followed her example.

“Thank you.” Yisüi simply said.

Yuka shook her head. “It is I who thank you. For being here for me. All of you.”

Yisüi blushed, Jinora nodded with a serious facial expression, and Azeneth strutted around.

Everyone then turned towards Coulter. The redhead was the only one who hadn’t grabbed her jewel.

“What about you?” Azeneth asked.

The redhead was warily glaring at the bracelet. “Charioteers aren’t allowed to possess jade…” she reflexively commented.

Amused, Azeneth rolled her eyes. “Are you truly going to follow the Empire’s laws?” she teased.

Coulter looked embarrassed. “Of course not! It’s just-”

Yuka finished her sentence. “It’s just that you’re not used to it.”

She wasn’t only talking about owning jade.

Coulter stayed silent for a few seconds. “Yes.” she finally admitted.

Yuka smiled indulgently. “So, are you going to take it or not? My arm is getting tired.” she joked.

Coulter bit her lower lip, hesitated, but then snatched the bracelet.

“Don’t read too much into it.” she commented.

The four other women smiled brightly. They exchanged amused glances. They weren’t duped.

“And don’t you dare try to initiate an other of your group hugs!” the redhead threatened.

“Of course we won’t.” Yuka lied with a big grin.

It was at this moment Coulter realized she was stuck in a corner of the room...

******* Later *******

Rashid’s scholars built their device in record time, and when they were done, they asked Coulter to test it with all her catalysts.

The other women of course insisted to be there to see it.

The result was...

… special.

“Sooooo… This is our saviour…” Yuka commented.

“She certainly looks… impressive…” Azeneth added.

Yisüi and Jinora were biting their lower lips to not say anything. Nahid was clearly looking doubtful.

The device that Rashid’s scholars had crafted looked like a diadem. The gemstone was at the center of it. Coulter was also wearing all her catalysts at the same time. The luminous stones enhancing her magical strength were designed to be worn like jewels: bracelets, rings, necklaces, torcs, and earrings. However, the result when she was wearing all of them at the same time was...

Well, let’s just say even the most tasteless upstart would find Coulter’s look over-elaborate. The redhead was looking like some cheap nouveau riche trying to overcompensate her low birth by wearing plenty of flashy jewels.

The diadem was only the icing on the cake.

“I look like a twat.” Coulter complained.

Yuka and Azeneth burst out laughing. Nahid, Jinora and Yisüi at least tried to hide their chuckles with their hands.

“Of course not!” they lied.

The redhead glared daggers at them.

"All hail Empress Coulter!" Azeneth joked. "Supreme ruler of bad taste! Monarch of tackiness!"

"I will fry you." Coulter muttered through gritted teeth.

Rashid started talking, oblivious to the fashion problem at hand: “Now that we have the necessary strike force, we can plan our final move. We-”

He was interrupted when a man dressed in innocuous clothes entered the room unannounced. He was one of the prince’s male spies.

For obvious reasons, Yuka and her friends rarely spent time with them. However, they were also playing an important part in the prince’s network. And, just like the shapeshifter and her team, there were instructions to allow these men to enter at any moment.

A mere glance at the man’s worried face doused everyone’s cheerfulness.

The spy whispered in Rashid’s ear for a long moment. The prince’s face fell more and more as he was listening to the report. Once the spy was done, he swiftly left the room.

Rashid took a few deep breaths.

“Is there a problem?” Yuka worriedly asked him. Since Nahid was also here, she resisted the urge to take his hand.

“My spies have sent me a message. The Mages are on the move. They have gathered in their College.” Rashid answered.

“What?!” Yuka exclaimed. “Why? Is it to better defend themselves against Coulter?”

“I wish it was only that. But it’s more serious. Far more serious. They are planning an offensive. Against my kingdom.” Rashid answered. “They know they can’t use their magic against Ghazan directly because of our obelisks. So they’ll try to hit it indirectly.”

Nahid looked horrified. “How?”

Rashid took a deep breath.

“They’ll combine their powers to shake the earth, and raise a wave so big it will devastate all the northern coast of Ghazan. El Ommeya, El Idriss… They’ll destroy all our main towns.”

His declaration was met by a long horrified silence. A devastation of such magnitude had been unheard of ever since the fall of the gods. It would cause countless deaths.

“How can they do that?!” Coulter finally shouted. “I’ve never heard of such magic!”

“I was wondering why they were so quiet lately… even though my escape ruined their plans...” Rashid commented. “They’ve spent the last two weeks searching the oldest scrolls of the Forbidden Library, and gathering powerful artifacts… It’s a very ancient ritual. One that hasn’t been used since the deaths of the gods. Such power is very dangerous to wield. It’s as likely to backfire against them as it is to work. If they can’t control the wild magic, the wave will come crashing against the Empire’s coasts instead.”

“These fools are ready to risk the lives of their own subjects?!”

“They know Coulter is a real threat to their rule now. They have lost her while she was prisoner in the Imperial Palace itself. They have lost their infiltrators. And by losing me, they have also lost their leverage against my father.” Rashid explained. “The Mages have been thoroughly humiliated, and they now have their back to the wall. They know the Emperor is waiting for an occasion to wrestle back some power from them. So they want to kill two birds with one stone: to score a victory that’ll give them back their legitimacy, and to make sure Ghazan can’t use Coulter against them in a war. Defeating one powerful rival is easier when she’s on her own, and not backed up by an entire nation. They’re staking their all.”

Yuka clenched her fists. “And here I thought the hardest parts were behind us...”

“However, because of that plan, we also have a fighting chance.” Rashid interrupted her.

Yuka frowned.

But then she started to understand his point. “Because all the Empire’s influential Mages are gathered in one place now…” she slowly commented.

Azeneth shared a quick glance with her. The metis too was starting to understand. “If we can get close enough without them noticing…” she said.

“Then Coulter will be able to fight them, yes.” Yuka completed.

“I can only transport myself to a place I’ve already visited.” the redhead remarked. “I’ve never been in that building. I can’t use magic to get close enough to them.”

“So what?” Yuka softly retorted, with a shrug. “It simply means we need one final infiltration… The time to find out where they are in the building, what’s the layout of the place… Then, once we’re in position, Coulter can crush them before they can set their plan into motion...”

“… and we may win the war.” Azeneth concluded with a smile.

“Without the Mages, the Empire will crumble.” Jinora predicted. “The Emperor will be able to seize control again, but by the time he manages to calm the turmoil down, Ghazan will have strengthen its positions.”

Rashid nodded, and added: “Pakal’s warships are stationed in the Empire’s eastern coast. Father’s fleet is ready to launch an attack against them. Without the Mages to bombard our ships, we can easily win and sink their fleet. It would destroy the Empire’s expansionist ambitions for the next couple of decades…”

They all exchanged glances. They weren't petrified by fear anymore. They had a plan.

“Then let’s get ready!” Yuka concluded. “Time for the final act!”

END OF CHAPTER 6
Last edited by rufusluciusivan on Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
meditions142

Post by meditions142 »

What a wonderful update!

I love the starting scene with Ixchel. Always such a fun scene with a guard walking along passing a door and then hands emerging to grab her. Then, a quick injection and she is but into a deep sleep. We even get a little description of how the drug makes Ixchel feel as it is knocking her out.

It is also fun to find out that four other guards have already been knocked out.

I also like the lengthy conversation going on as the unconscious woman was stripped and tied up. I always find that kind of thing fun. I enjoy these conversations while the unconscious woman who was just knocked out lays there.

Also fun was the mention of the look on Ixchel's face. Perhaps even though she was deeply unconscious on some level Ixchel was getting a little turned on being stripped and tied up.

Then the Vestal attack was fantastic. Eight women at a time!

Really like the scene with the first two. Love the idea that they are hit with the knockout darts but still walk a bit before succumbing. Then the idea of Coulter using her powers to catch them and then using the power to levitate the unconscious women and drag them off is awesome.

The mass attack is fantastic as well. Two girls get narcotic covered rags.

Then using the stolen guard uniform to trick the remaining women just long enough to get an advantage.

Love too Azeneth with the quick neck chop on the one woman and then tossing her into the arms of the other girl so she can't defend herself.

Then that girl gets the narcotic dart too. And of course it is well placed to put her out quickly.

The chestnut haired girl almost had a chance to raise the alarm. Unfortunately for her it just meant she got the roughest treatment with the punch to knock the wind out of her and then a neck chop.

And wow was the last one great. I love the idea of the woman being held motionless while being knocked out. Love imaging her motionless and having her eyes flutter shut as she passing out.

Also like the idea that when she falls to the ground the girl who caught the other one is still holding her.

Such a great story!
esercito sconfitto

Post by esercito sconfitto »

the mystic jewel at the very centre of the story, the story unfolded like an itinerary, a daring travel among different places and cultures, which is in the meantime an all-inner, spiritual travel, a company of fellows and last and not least the very sound of the title... we are near the finale of the powerful narrative arc and now it's all clear about the inspiration of the whole saga, now I am able to recognize so many things and parts ...

it's the Incal by Moebius and Jodorowsky , glory of the French Bande Dessinée ; that is the early source of the idea , the concealed secret in the plot , something you, Rufusluciusivan, want to overcome.. and you are about to do it

Return to “Stories by Rufusluciusivan”