Volume 7: One Small Step for Women

tirepanted3

Re: Spacesuit, Vol. 7: One Small Step for Women

Post by tirepanted3 »

Meditions: Thanks! Glad you liked the epilogue. :)

I figured you would enjoy the scene with Brianne, as it combined a security guard uniform steal with a nerve pinch. ;) I thought it would be a nice subversion of expectations to reveal that Hargrove had placed her there intentionally, to show that she's well-rehearsed in the methods and means of uniform thieves. And to show that Hargrove also doesn't mind utilizing some underhanded tactics (even at the expense of her own employees) to get what she wants.

Thanks again for all your comments.

FeMilImpos: Thank you! Much appreciated.

Disguisedagent: Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading.
rufusluciusivan

Post by rufusluciusivan »

It feels so strange to read that epilogue... I remember a few months ago I still was under the impression this volume would never end, given how many subplots were still going... And now this is it. It's over. Not only the volume, but the entire saga as well!

Of course, such milestone is always a cause of celebration. I'll focus on the epilogue itself in this comment, so I'll be rather short - I intend to give my general thoughts about the entire volume (and entire saga) as soon as I have more time, so I'm purposefully leaving several things out for now.

Though to be honest, I'm calling it an epilogue, but it feels as much as a prologue than an epilogue. On the one hand, it wraps several main character arcs up, and ends the discussions about the concept of uniform stealing that were the main theme of this last part. On the other hand, it leaves enough doors open for future developments, and gives us a glimpse of what the future holds for these characters. (Potential one-shot spin-offs?) Given the length and themes of this saga, I think this was a good narrative choice. Fittingly for a saga that long, the end reminds us adventure never ends. Plus, it's in line with the personalities of Bridget and Bobbi.

Strangely enough (coming from me who's often complained about the fact there could be too many subplots going at the same time), I wouldn't have minded to see the epilogue adrdess the fates of more of the side characters.

So Zuhal truly was a goner... I confess that until the very end I thought this was going to be a fake-out, given how you usually dislike to kill off major characters. Sometimes, knowing a writer's quirks can be detrimential to the reading's experience... :P Not saying it was a bad choice - I think my track record of killing off main characters during finales for emotional moments speaks for itself. :lol:

Interesting you brought back Leah from a previous volume.

And the USBs are also back... I swear every time I turn my back, these gals sneak back into the story, trying to become main characters! :lol: Amateurs... :lol:

It's a detail, but I enjoyed how the story wraps up with a UFO reference. A way to reminds of the saga's very beginning...

PS.
A special shout-out to Rufusluciusivan, who encouraged me to push forward early on (and who helped turn Ashley from a one-off security guard into one of the most popular and layered characters in the series)
You're welcome! ;)
tirepanted3

Post by tirepanted3 »

Thanks for your thoughts! And I know the feeling. I've been writing this series and these characters for so long that I wasn't sure it would ever end. It honestly feels a little startling to look back on. But all sagas eventually need some sort of conclusion.

I wanted this epilogue to feel like a conclusion to the arcs of Felicia, Bobbi, and Bridget, since they are of course the three characters I've been writing the longest, and the emotional backbone of this entire series. I knew their varied perspectives on uniform stealing would of course play a role, and while the ending sees Felicia come to terms with leaving her life as a uniform thief behind, it was important for her to make some sort of peace with Bobbi's choices as well. Beyond that, however, I wanted to give the impression that the broader world in which these characters inhabit - where women are still getting mugged for their uniforms on a regular basis - has not truly "resolved," although it may or may not have reached some sort of inflection point with the ascendance of Hargrove. (And indeed, while the main saga is done, I did want to leave the door open for potential short spin-off stories in the future.)

I had wanted to address the fates of more side characters in this epilogue, but there was only so much room and I ultimately decided it would be best to focus the bulk of the final chapter on the main trio. I added a scene with Ashley because she's also been a part of this saga since Volume 1, and became the definitive breakout character, so it seemed appropriate to give her one last hurrah. As for other supporting characters who didn't have their moment in this chapter... well, perhaps some of them will get spin-off moments to shine in the future. :)

I was hesitant about sealing Zuhal's fate, as I certainly dislike killing off characters in these stories, but there needed to be some weight of loss for the main characters, even in victory. Someone had to make the sacrifice, and Zuhal made the most sense. But I truly loved writing her character, and she will be missed.

Bringing back Leah was a helpful little callback to round out Bobbi's connection with Zuhal, since Leah was the unfortunate victim from one of the most important Bobbi/Zuhal interactions in the series. I dropped a brief clue earlier in this volume (the hot dog vendor has pink hair, same as the ice cream vendor in Volume 5), though I don't know if anyone made the connection. In any case, it was also a nice humanizing moment for a former uniform stealing victim, and I love including those.

And yes, the USBs make one more encore in this story. I liked the contrast they had with Bobbi and decided to highlight it. I included a little in-joke regarding one of their names (in relation to the others), which maybe you caught as a native French-speaker. ;)

I decided years ago that the final scene of the series needed to be Felicia and Bobbi sitting in a field, staring up at the stars. That was the first scene of Volume 1, and it would be mirrored by the ending of Volume 7. A way of showing how much has changed since then, while some things have stayed the same.

Appreciate your comments (and look forward to longer thoughts on the series, if you have them). Thanks for reading!
rufusluciusivan

Post by rufusluciusivan »

Finally, it's out. General thoughts about the whole saga from Volume 1 to Volume 7.

As I mentioned before, it still feels strange to read the conclusion of this saga. For as long as I remember, or at least as long as I started to post my own stories, this specific saga was in progress. If my memory doesn’t betray me, it even started when the old (now defunct) Board still existed. Sure, there were sometimes months in-between updates, but whenever I went to the Board, I knew in a corner of my mind there would be a chance this saga was updated. That doesn’t mean I liked every part of it, I think I’ve been pretty vocal during those years, but this saga is part of the landscape of the Board. It feels weird to know there won't be updates anymore - at least not to the main saga.

Plus, this saga also holds a special place in my personal experience on this Board. While it’s not the saga that gave me the inspiration to write (that would be The Greatest Actress of All), it’s clearly one that gave me the motivation to keep on writing when the enthusiasm of the first months wore off – something it shares with trackman’s saga about Tina and her sisters. Ever since I started to post my own stories, To Steal a Spacesuit was being written in parallel across the years. There was something stimulating to know several long sagas were being written at the same time as mine, and it helped me keep going.

Reflecting back on the whole saga is a stimulating exercise, though my memories of the early parts are blurry and I don’t have the time to read everything again.

The most interesting thing to note about the Spacesuit series and its spin-offs (about your stories in general even) is their consistency. They all share the same contemporary setting, with an emphasis on “classic” modern-day uniforms and clothes, and from time to time a rarer uniform. They also share the same relatively realistic setting. ("Realistic" as in "no magic, no comicbook superpowers or gadgets"…) When compared with other story sections that experimented with other settings and genres (fantasy, historical fiction, comicbook or spy flick aesthetics), yours stand out by its consistency and choice to remain grounded.

When it comes to consistency, I can also mention the narration. The stories all share the same style: fondness for intertwining multiple storylines and a wide roster of characters, slow-burn build-up to the climax… I’m not going to dwell on this topic though. It’s probably the one I discussed the most in my comments across the years, and I’ve already mentioned many times the pros and cons of these narrative choices in my opinion (satisfying climax, possibility for many cliffhangers and twists when the storylines collide VS difficulty to keep up with the high number of characters and arcs and pace of the main story that can be slowed down by the subplots).

If there is a narrative trope of yours I’ll never get tired of, it’s the character banters, quips and one-liners. Almost every part had at least one quotable line – and many had a lot of them. I think they’re a key reason why I never got tired of this saga. Even if the uniforms and the uniform stealings scenarios can become repetitive at some point (there are after all only so many situations and types of uniforms), the character banters (and the narration’s quips) allowed for a refreshing change.

Of course, the characters themselves were the other key reason I kept wanting to read the saga. Reflecting back on the whole saga also allows to see how much some of the characters have changed. It still feels weird to remember how Bridget, Bobbi and Felicia were back in the first part… The character development was progressive though, and felt natural and logical. I found Bobbi's and Felicia's mirror development interesting from a narrative standpoint, with Bridget serving as a middle ground.

Many characters were introduced over the course of this story, so I can’t do all of them justice here. The most honorable mentions:
- Of course, I have a special fondness for Ashley. Given the fact I harassed you with my jokes about her, I suppose I’m a bit responsible for her development. Most likely the biggest development of this saga – from a one-note “victim of the week” to a recurring joke character to a secondary character taken seriously by the narration. Quite the accomplishment. And I think we still don’t even know what her eye color is.
- Dr. Chen. Had someone told me I’d grow fond of this villainess back when I discovered her in Part 1, I wouldn’t have believed them. And yet I did. She’s a bit of an oddity among your cast, in the sense she’s most likely the less “realistic” character – with a larger-than-life ego, grandiose plans, a fondness for monologues, and an inability to just SHOOT the heroine when she’s captured. Chen is basically a James Bond villainess trapped in your setting, and I ended up loving her for that.
- Felicia became the most sympathetic of your characters in my eyes at the end. That observation feels a bit strange, since for a good chunk of the saga I was a lot more neutral towards her – during some parts of the saga it felt a bit like she was in the background. She wasn’t the main character like Bridget, and wasn’t an outsider like Bobbi.
- Prema’s and Moira’s subplot wasn’t needed, but I won’t deny it felt wholesome at the end.
- As the main character, Bridget benefited from a head start when it came to investment, so to speak, since the story revolved a lot around her. She did her job good, and had an interesting development, with a conclusion that served as some middle ground. I never felt strongly about her, but she carried the weight of the main plot well.
- Jenna and Hargrove would have made for interesting antagonists – different from usual. A shame they only appeared at the end.
- And Bobbi… is the character for whom my sentiments were the strongest – in one way, then in the other. Make of it what you will. :P I won’t pretend the reading was always pleasant when she was on-screen, but I won’t deny I was invested during a good part of her development.

However, consistency didn’t mean the saga never introduced new themes. The early parts are very “first degree” (hopefully the expression exists in English…) What I mean is that they played the uniform stealing tropes straight (to use the TvTropes expression). In a way, they are the reflection of “simpler times” – years ago, when every possible “classic scenario” had yet to be explored in every directions. Then, as years went by, the stories started to explore, discuss and deconstruct the concept (trope) of uniform stealing itself, with its ramifications, its moral boundaries, its consequences in a ‘plausible’ society… Sometimes, it allowed for jokes, and sometimes for more serious character development. Clearly a strong point of the saga in general.

While of course there is some sadness to see this saga conclude, since it’s connected to many memories of my time on this Board, I’m content to see its end. I prefer to know this story has reached a satisfying conclusion. Of course, it’s an open-ended epilogue which leaves enough trails for potential spin-offs, and I’m all on board with that. I think it was the best kind of conclusion for such a saga, given its lengths, its themes, and its high number of characters. However, the main saga has received closure, and that’s a good thing. I used to be an avid reader of fanfictions, and there was nothing more frustrating than starting a good story, only for it to never reach its end.

I admit an other reason I’m happy this saga was concluded is more practical. The more years pass, the less time I have to read and review on this Board. So I’m glad I could see the end of the saga before my time here would end. And I confess lately I am less motivated. Part of it is linked to my lack of free time lately, part of it is linked to my likings changing. On that topic, I remember back at the end of Volume 6, when you mentioned you were happy I was still invested in Bobbi’s storyline, I resisted my urge to answer that I had given up on the character by that point. (Maybe it shows? I refrained myself from talking much about her during Volume 7.) Sure, I was curious to see how her arc would conclude, but it was mostly that – curiosity, not investment. In general, moral greyness (a key element of your stories) often bothers me more than it used to, so I ended up un-invested in many of your secondary characters. Reading while rooting against characters who are inevitably going to get away is not always a pleasant experience. In that regard, I’m also glad this saga concluded.

In a way, this specific arc was interesting in that it made me reflect on my expectations as a reader. What I like in a character, what I don’t like. And how a development that is gradual and logical (therefore well-done when it comes to narration) can trigger a viscerally negative emotional reaction. With a villain or a morally grey character, I prefer them to be grandiose and larger-than-life and/or with tragic backstories. Bobbi had two wrongs in my eyes – 1) she felt mundane in her motivations; and 2) while she always claimed her life was bad before she was introduced to uniform stealing, I don’t remember the narration of the early parts ever emphasizing it. She had one good friend, and didn’t seem bad about herself, so to me she comes more out as a bully on a power trip who’s using a flimsy justification. (If you allow me one digression, for the same reasons I was surprised to see how much positive reaction Safiye was getting. In my eyes, Safiye’s greed and the lengths she would go to for money (backstabbing close friends and allies, being accomplice in mass murder and attempted gang rape...) made her especially mundane and petty compared to the other main antagonists – and she wasn’t even grandiose to make up for it.) Still, a story that manages to make one deeply think about their own expectations and tastes is always successful at something.

So to conclude my experience when reading this saga sometimes had its downs, had many ups, and was either way an experience I was glad to go through. And I’m happy to see it receive the closure it deserves, my personal feelings about some developments notwithstanding.
tirepanted3

Post by tirepanted3 »

Thanks for your detailed thoughts and reflections!

It really does feel a little strange to have wrapped up this saga, even a few weeks later. It isn't quite as old as the new board (which was established in 2016, while this series began in 2017), but it's definitely been going quite a while. There were definitely times I thought about calling it quits, but the feedback kept me going. :)

I'm happy the series served as a motivating factor for your writing as well - I think the board is richer thanks to the tapestry woven by the Utopia/Pakal series, and it's great to have played an (indirect) part in that.

You are correct in that I chose to keep the series relatively grounded and contemporary. This was done in part to keep things from getting too complicated (since telling stories from different time periods would require a lot of extra research and risked the possibility of anachronistic details) or too ludicrous (I flirted with the idea of adding aliens at some point - inspired by Dave Dorc's "Damned Elusive 42" story, and in keeping with Felicia's sci-fi interests - but always felt that would be a step too far.

The bantering dialogue was always one of my favorite parts of the series to write. I certainly wouldn't have gotten this far if the uniform steals weren't livened up with a lot of fun, quippy dialogue. They helped keep things fresh and kept me interested in writing more.

And of course, the characters were another of my favorite parts to write. I sketched out some of their arcs beforehand (like with Felicia and Bobbi), but a lot of the development just happened organically. It was fun to push these characters against each other - and keep featuring some unlikely team-ups of enemies-turned-friends - to keep things moving in interesting directions.

Ashley had perhaps the greatest journey of any of my characters, going from a single scene in Volume 1 to one of the most important characters in Volume 7. I tip my hat to you for inspiring me to continue pushing her character to the forefront. (And her eyes are green. :) )

Dr. Chen was my favorite villainess to write in this series, for all the reasons you mention. She is larger than life, and delightfully wicked in a way that you just love to hate.

Felicia's arc was tough to maintain at some points, since she was indeed relegated to the background at times (a byproduct of there being so many characters around her). But I was adamant to make her a prime focus of this final volume, to round out her character arc.

I wish I had given a bit more time to Prema and Moira to develop their relationship, since they spend much of the series as secondary characters. But I tried to make the most of them here.

Bridget was tricky to write in that she came close to feeling like a "Mary Sue" sometimes, and it took me a while to figure out what her arc would be and where it was leading. She served to "balance" Felicia and Bobbi for a while before developing on her own.

Jenna and Hargrove were surprisingly investing characters for such late entries to the series, and Jenna especially was interesting to write. It's entirely possible we haven't seen the last of them... ;)

I'm aware of your feelings toward Bobbi, but she was always one of my favorite characters to write. And I hope that she maintained investment even for readers who were eventually turned off by her development on a personal level - I just found her interesting to explore throughout the series.

The shift in new themes to exploring the effects of "uniform stealing" on society was another aspect that happened slowly but surely, and was necessitated in part by my need to keep the USB scenes fresh. It was interesting to deconstruct the USB tropes from a variety of character viewpoints and perspectives.

And I agree with you about fanfictions - it's always a bummer when a long-running series doesn't have a proper ending. I tried to give as much of that as I could here, albeit leaving the door open for potential spin-offs (although it's fair to say that none of those spin-offs will run for seven years and span multiple book-length volumes :lol: ).

I understand your feelings about Bobbi (who indeed can come off as a bully sometimes) and certain other characters. It's why I tried to include a lot of characters in this series, so that even if some of them lack rooting interest, there are others worth investing in. I love morally grey characters - one of my favorite aspects of a USB heroine - so it was interesting to explore so many of them, to turn heroines into villainesses and vice versa.

I suppose we have different tastes when it comes to villainous characters, which is totally fine. I became invested in Safiye in part because, while she was evil, the level of mundanity to her motivations - greed and money - gave her escapades a grounded, basic human element that really clicked. Whereas someone like Tsuki always struck me as someone a little too insane and tragic and difficult to really connect with. But again, she was definitely well-written - this just has to do with my personal tastes as a reader.

Overall, I don't expect every aspect to click with every reader (especially not for a saga that went in so many different directions), but I'm glad that so much of this resonated. And again, a hearty thanks for all your feedback; it definitely helped me develop the series into what it became these last several years. :)

Return to “Stories by Tirepanted”