Spoon & White - "A Gore et a Cris" (2000)

tirepanted3

Spoon & White - "A Gore et a Cris" (2000)

Post by tirepanted3 »

A comedic M/F scene in this French comic in which a female police officer tries to apprehend a pair of male suspects on the road. They knock her out and one of them puts on her uniform (which somehow fits perfectly even though she is much taller than they are). The policewoman is later found unconscious in the abandoned car.

esercito sconfitto

Re: Spoon & White - "A Gore et a Cris" (2000)

Post by esercito sconfitto »

Tirepanted , this is a WONDERFUL find, the comic book and the action are fantastic, first class drawings, but...

...but one of the two criminals is a cannibal :o ! the Policewoman Francesca has ben mangled! partially eaten alive! mâchonner means to nibble! :shock:

about the correct translation and the description of what happened to the girl, better if we ask rufusluciusivan to provide a final version 8-)
rufusluciusivan

Post by rufusluciusivan »

Apparently the guy is indeed supposed to be a cannibal. However, the "joke" (and I'm using the word very loosely) is that he lost his teeth (or maybe his denture), so he wanted to take a bite but couldn't. (Look closely at the bottom part of the second page: He only has his gingiva left.) So he didn't eat or even nimble. The female journalist do say "nimble" ("mâchonner"), but she is exaggerating. An other joke is that the journalists are a bunch of greedy jerks who only care about having a shocking story to increase their ratings. The female journalist is shown to be disappointed that the victim is alive and mostly well. The male journalist says what actually happened to the policewoman: because he had no teeth, the killer was only able to leave a few hickeys / "love bites" (that's the translation of "suçons").

The female journalist confirms that she's only unconscious when she says "évanouie".

I do agree that the drawing is top-notch though. ;)
tirepanted3

Post by tirepanted3 »

Wow, I totally missed the (attempted) cannibalism aspect. :shock: (I'm not so familiar with French.)

Thanks for the translation and context. :)
esercito sconfitto

Post by esercito sconfitto »

merci bien mon ami :)

NOW I have realised what is behind the Policewoman Francesca... pay attention, she is pregnant, and that hat... :?

moreover, her name, Francesca...

she is a reference to Frances Mc Dormand and the character she played years ago , the pregnant Policewoman, from the unforgettable movie Fargo

...the penciler draws a good caricature of Frances ( I remember she is the wife of Joel -or Ethan? - Cohen, the director of the movie "Fargo")

Return to “Comic Books ( Modern Age )”