Pakal

rufusluciusivan

Re: Pakal

Post by rufusluciusivan »

Trackman: Wasn't expecting another comment on this part of the chapter, but it's certainly a pleasant surprise. ;) (It was the 100th post on this topic by the way. Woohoo! :lol: )

Glad you like Tsuki's and Coulter's characters. They are very tricky characters to write, because I want them to have a lot of flaws (and in Tsuki's case to be a dreaded antagonist), but while still being sympathetic to some extent. Therefore, it's a relief to read a confirmation that it's working, at least for now.

As for Yisüi, Azeneth and Jinora... Well, I was quicker than expected when it came to the next part, therefore I can't decently keep you waiting.

Chapter 4: Part 2

Blackness.

Blackness all around them.

They were floating in the nothing.

Yuka felt a sudden twinge of fear. Reflexively, she grabbed Coulter's shoulder.

The red-haired mage-woman was holding the sphere with her two hands.

The shapeshifter understood that the artifact was the only thing preventing their beings from dissolving into the nothing.

“Coulter?”

“Shut up. I'm trying to concentrate. Whatever happens, don't let go of me.”

“No need to tell me twice!”

The power of the artifact engulfed Coulter. The Empress mantle disintegrated, the crown was turned into ashes, and the jade beads on her braid became dust. Free from the braid, her curly fluffy mane was flailing everywhere (especially in Yuka's face).

However, the mage-woman didn't let go of the artifact. If she did, they would never escape the nothing.

Yuka was feeling a strange warmness, but wasn't hurt by the magic.

Coulter tried to tame the power of the artifact.

Time passed. Maybe one second. Maybe one hour. Maybe one day, one week, one month, one year. Maybe one century.

“I think... I think I found them!” Coulter suddenly exclaimed.

“Then go for them! Go anywhere but here! Go-”

A flash of light.

Coulter and Yuka appeared in a room with stone walls. The kind of room that was found in a castle. This specific room looked like some kind of shed or storage room.

Currently, it was however the site of a rather peculiar scene.

Well, not so peculiar. When you're me at least. Yuka thought to herself.

Four women were in the storage room.

First there were Jinora and Azeneth. Yuka felt a huge relief when she saw them. Coulter had managed to transport them to their two friends! Azeneth was wearing a guard outfit. Jinora was dressed in a servant outfit.

The shapeshifter didn't know the other two persons. The unknown women were most likely some kind of minstrels or trobairitz, given the fact that each was carrying a gittern with her. They were wearing similar clothes: Each woman was clad in a red cape with blue trims, a yellow long-sleeved tunic, light brown trousers, leather ankles boots, a brown leather belt, and a black galeron hat with a red feather.

One woman was lying on the floor, unconscious, and Jinora was removing her clothes.

The other was trying to escape Azeneth.

Coulter's and Yuka's brutal appearance surprised everyone. There was an awkward moment of hesitation. Even the fleeing woman couldn't help but stop running and stare at the newcomers.

However, she also was the first to recover from the shock, and rushed to the door.

“Yu'! Catch her please!” Azeneth exclaimed.

In doubt, Yuka chose to do what she did best.

Catching a woman and knocking her out, with the goal of stealing her clothes.

The shapeshifter dragged her burden and laid the minstrel on the floor next to Azeneth, Jinora, and the unconscious woman.

“So...” the shapeshifter started to say.

Jinora immediately rushed and tightly hugged her.

Yuka blinked. “Jinora?”

She was a little taken by surprise. Jinora was usually so quiet and reserved. Normally, Azeneth was the one who was expansive.

“It's a miracle!” the black-haired woman with a copper-coloured skin exclaimed.

With teary eyes, Azeneth embraced Yuka as well.

“We thought... We thought we'd never see you again...” the metis stammered.

Once again, Yuka was taken by surprise. Usually, Azeneth was a lot more self-assured. Not the kind of woman who would stutter.

Yuka reflexively returned their embrace, as she was overjoyed to have been able to regroup with them.

However, she didn't understand their emotions. “But... But it's only been a dozen of hours... One day at most...” she said.

“For us, it's been a month.” Azeneth explained.

Yuka's eyes widened. “One entire month?”

Jinora and Azeneth stopped hugging her, though their eyes were still wet. They nodded.

Yuka looked at Coulter.

The red-haired woman shrugged. “Time must be passing differently depending on which potentiality we're in.”

“How can you stay so calm?!” Yuka exclaimed.

“We don't have the time to argue!” Azeneth interrupted them. “Yu'. We're in trouble.”

“Indeed. I don't think I'd find you mugging a pair of trobairitz if things were okay. What's happening?”

“We're trying to rescue Yisüi.”

Yuka paled a little and felt a sudden surge of worry. “What happened exactly this past month?”

“It's a long story.”

“Then for now give me a summary.”

“There's this jerk of a noble who wants to force Yisüi to marry him, so he kidnapped her.”

“Come again?”

“I don't know what's the deal with this place, but the people think that people with white hair are blessed by the gods, so this jerkass wants to bring the gods' blessing to his lineage.”

“But Yisüi's hair aren't white...”

“In these idiots' eyes, it's close enough.” Azeneth was clearly sounding exasperated by the behaviour of the people of this potentiality.

Ultimately, Yuka decided that it didn't matter.

“You know what? Forget it. Just tell me what's your plan.”

Rescuing her friend was more important.

“Well, it's simple. The noble will be throwing a party this evening. We ambush the entertainers, we take their place, and we ruin the party with these beauties.” Azeneth showed her a few small spheres. “Smoke bombs. We'll take advantage of the confusion to rescue Yisüi.”

“Will there be enough clothes for Coulter and I?”

Azeneth nodded. “There are five entertainers who are expected. Our idea was to capture them all, and take the clothes of two of them. But it means that there'll be enough clothes for Coulter and you

“Perfect. Then we take part in your plan.” Yuka said.

“Or I could just rain down some fire on this place and be done with it.” Coulter intervened. “There doesn't seem to be Sun Mages in this potentiality...”

“And hurt the servants and most of the attendees who didn't do anything wrong?” Azeneth retorted. “Forget it. This specific situation requires a gentler touch.”

Coulter glanced at the two unconscious trobairitz.

“Yeah. As gentle as a blow to the head...”

“At least they won't be burned alive.” Azeneth insisted. “They will just have a headache.”

“And be left half-naked. And bound. And gagged.” Coulter mockingly retorted.

Azeneth glared daggers at her. Since Yisüi was in danger, she definitively wasn't in the mood to accept sass.

Yuka intervened to change the subject. She wanted to avoid a dispute. “By the way. How did you lure these two in the storage room?”

“Oh. We've given them a fake letter instructing them to come here before the party.” Azeneth explained. “We've done the same for the other entertainers.”

“So I guess that's why Jinora's wearing a servant outfit, and you're wearing a guard outfit...” Yuka said.

“I guess you were 'gentle' with the real servant and guard too...” Coulter commented with a mocking smile.

“What? We just made them drink a sleeping drug.” Azeneth retorted, on the defensive. “We left them on a bed and under the sheets. They're actually pretty comfortable! We even put the pillows under their heads.”

“Such parangons...” Coulter mockingly said.

“Just ignore her.” Yuka said to Azeneth, who was about to retort something. “It's her way of showing she's glad to have found you. Tell me: Do the entertainers know each other?”

“No. They have been hired separately, even the jester.”

“Then let's wait for them. I'll put on the redhead's clothes. The other should be Jinora's size. We'll fool the others by pretending to be the real trobairitz, and we'll neutralize them.”

Azeneth nodded.

She, Yuka, and Jinora swiftly stripped the two minstrels. The red-haired trobairitz was wearing a faded orange sleeveless undertunic and matching calf-long underpants as undergarments. The brunette was clad in thigh-long fade red open drawers. A blue piece of cloth was wrapped around her chest and her back to cover her breasts. Both were wearing grey socks.

Azeneth found a few coils of rope in the storage room.

The three friends used them to truss up the trobairitz. They bound the two women back to back. They put each woman's wrists in front of the other's stomach and tied them. They bound each woman's ankles separately, then tied their legs and their waists together. Yuka and Jinora removed the top part of their clothes, and cut them into strips to turn them into makeshift gags. They shoved a few pieces of cloth into each woman's mouth. Each minstrel was then gagged with strip of cloth used as a cleave-gag.

Azeneth and Yuka worked together to drag the trussed up women behind some crates to hide them.

Then, Yuka and Jinora put on their disguise.

They only had to wait for the other performers...

The door of the storage room was opened, allowing two women to enter.

“Hello. You must be the trobairitz Lord Devingshae hired.” the first one said.

Jinora was looking a little ill-at-ease in her outfit, but Yuka immediately took a step forward to draw the attention to herself and prevent the newcomers from spotting her friend's nervousness.

“Yes indeed.”

“Pleased to meet you. I'm Gabrielle, I'm a knife-thrower. And my partner Alexa is a contortionist.”

Gabrielle was a tall woman with an aquiline nose. She had brown eyes and loose shoulder-long light auburn hair. She was wearing light brown knee-long boots, and colourful red trousers with an orange diamond-pattern. Her white tunic was long-sleeved and also covered her pelvis, therefore covering part of her trousers. The collar of the tunic was adorned with small embroideries She was also wearing a small red sleeveless waistcoat adorned with a pattern of black threads. A red cloth sash was tied around her waist. There was also a second belt made of a golden small chain adorned with large golden sequins. (Yuka suspected that it wasn't real gold though.) Red ribbons were tied around her arms and forearms, over the sleeves. Finally, over the tunic but under the waistcoat, she was wearing a black baldric adorned with red threads, which she was using to carry her battery of small knives. She was wearing a black domino mask.

Alexa was wearing a form-fitting one-piece long-sleeved garment designed to cover the upper and lower parts of the body. The outfit was purple, with a pattern of big blue circles on the arms and the legs. She was walking in black soft boots. There were bracelets with little bells around her wrists and ankles. She was also wearing a black domino mask similar to Gabrielle's.

Yuka did the introduction for her group. “I'm Yuka. And this is Jinora.” Coulter and Azeneth were hidden behind the crates.

“We come from the Far South.” Jinora added to explain their darker skin colours.

“I must say, the Lord has strange requests.” Gabrielle said. “I mean, why did he send us a letter to ask us to meet up in this storage room?”

“Probably a way to get acquainted with each other.”

“Nobles have weird whims...”

“I know! I mean, have you seen what's behind these crates?” Yuka commented.

“What's behind them?”

“I dare not say it.” Yuka said, knowing full well that it would arouse the woman's curiosity.

And it worked.

Out of curiosity, Gabrielle went to look what was behind the crates.

Yuka exchanged a look with Alexa. The contortionist smiled a little awkwardly. The shapeshifter smiled back to put her at ease.

Then, once Gabrielle had her back turned on them, Yuka suddenly took action. She swiftly moved behind Alexa. With one hand, she hand-gagged her from behind.

“Mhgh?!”

With her other arm, she grasped the entertainer round the waist to block her arms.

Yuka's palm glowed.

Alexa's eyes widened.

“Mh! Uh! Uh gh! Ooh uh...”

The entertainer's eyelids closed, and she crumbled on the floor.

At the same time, Gabrielle discovered what was behind the crates.

“Bound-and-gagged half-naked women?!” she exclaimed. “Lord Devingshae is into THAT?!”

“Not exactly.” Azeneth commented behind her.

She hit a precise spot between Gabrielle's neck and shoulder.

“Ugh!”

The knife thrower was knocked out instantly.

Azeneth caught Gabrielle by the collar of her waistcoat.

“Sorry for that. But the guise of a knife thrower is just too perfect for me. I can't let such an occasion go to waste.”

She laid the woman next to the two bound minstrels, and patiently removed her clothes one by one: first the waistcoat and the boots, then the baldric and the belts, then the trousers, and finally the ribbons and the tunic. As undergarments, Gabrielle was wearing a light grey short-sleeved waist-long linen chemise and thigh-long white linen underpants, as well as white socks. Azeneth swiftly bound the woman's arms and legs with ropes, and gagged her with a few strips of cloth cut from Yuka's and Jinora's former outfits.

However, while the knife thrower was roughly Azeneth's size, her partner was unfortunately too small and skinny for Coulter. They didn't even bother with stripping her, especially since they suspected she was naked under her costume in order to not hinder her movements. Yuka simply bound her limbs and, admiring the woman's flexibility, she hog-tied her. She stuff-gagged and cleave-gagged her with strips of cut clothes.

They could only hope that the jester woman would be of the right size.

Speaking of which...

The door of the storage room opened.

A woman wearing a jester outfit entered. The costume consisted of a jester hat, a jester top, jester tights and jester shoes. The right side of the jester hat was purple and the left side was black. There was a little bell at each top of the hat. The right side of the jester top was black and the left side was purple. The jester tights were striped purple and yellow. Her jester shoes were purple and yellow, with one black pom-pom on each. She was carrying a jester baton adorned with little bells as well as purple and yellow ribbons.

The jester had green eyes and short chestnut hair, a round face, and a body of average size.

“Come on! What are you all still doing in the storage room? Lord Devingshae is waiting! If this a joke, it's not funny. You should leave the jokes to me.”

She stopped talking when she saw Alexa lying on the floor bound-and-gagged, surrounded by Jinora, Yuka, and Azeneth who were about to carry her behind the crates.

“Now, that's one elaborate joke.” the jester said. “Who's pranking me? Are you going for an 'all tied up' joke? Because they're bound to fail!” She chuckled to herself. “Get it?”

Azeneth approached the jester and put a comforting hand on the woman's shoulder. “No. Unfortunately, it is not a joke.”

The jester woman smiled sheepishly, as the realization of what was going to happen slowly dawned on her. “Hah! Looks like the joke's on me then...?” she commented.

Azeneth sympathetically patted her shoulder. “I'm sorry.”

Fatalistic, the jester shrugged. “Guess I can't do anything to fight against fate... since it's bound to happen anyway.” The jester chuckled sadly at her own joke. “Get it?”

Azeneth nodded with a serious expression. “Yes. That'll do friend, that'll do.”

They stripped the jester down to her knee-long striped yellow and black underpants, and her short-sleeved purple undertunic. Then, they bound her wrists and ankles. They shoved a strip of cloth into her mouth and cloth-gagged her with another strip of cloth. Since Gabrielle and she would probably be able to crawl away if left unchecked, Yuka and her friends took the time to bind the jester with Gabrielle. They tied the women face-to-face, with their noses almost touching, reasoning that they could maybe try to untie each other's wrists if they were bound back-to-back. (They were unwilling to waste time untying and re-tying the wrists.) They wrapped ropes around both women's torsos, waists, and legs.

Once they were done, Azeneth turned to the only woman of their group who wasn't disguised yet. A woman who hadn't done anything since the beginning of the infiltration.

“Coulter, put on her outfit.” Yuka said.

The redhead glared at the jester clothes that were lying on the floor. “What?! Are you jesting?”

“No. It'll be your job.” Azeneth dryly retorted.

“There's no way I'm putting on this dumb ridiculous outfit!”

Azeneth lost patience. “Oh, gods above! For one time in your life, can't you just do something we ask you without complaining and being difficult?! It's for Yisüi! Don't you want to rescue her?”

Coulter glared daggers at her. Then she held out her hand. “Just give me the dumb outfit.” she growled. “And don't get the wrong idea. I'm only doing it because we have to rescue Yisüi.”

The redhead grabbed the jester outfit that Azeneth gave her, and went behind some crates to change herself away from prying eyes.

“Thanks.” Azeneth said.

“Shut up!” Coulter exclaimed from the other side of the crates.

Yuka sighed.

“I'm relieved to have been able to find you...” she said to her friends. “I thought it'd be harder, but I'm not complaining.”

Azeneth pressed her shoulder. “We still haven't returned home yet...”

“Once we've released Yisüi, we'll already have taken a huge step in the right direction. Then, we'll take all the time that's necessary, but we'll succeed.”

Azeneth smiled. “Indeed, wouldn't want to leave Rashid to another woman...”

Jinora put a hand over her mouth to hide her chuckle.

Yuka's cheeks reddened. “Az'!”

“Sorry. It was too tempting. Besides, it's been one month since the last time I saw you. One month without being able to tease you. I've missed you, Yu'.”

Yuka smiled. “Come on-”

“I'm done.” a voice interrupted her.

Coulter emerged from behind the crates.

She was looking sour.

Because of her voluminous curly fluffy hair, she had a hard time putting on the jester hat. The end result was ridiculous-looking: The hat looked bloated because of the mass of hair inside. She couldn't even fit all her hair in the hat. A few locks were therefore falling on her forehead and her cheeks.

When witnessing her appearance, everyone's worries melted like snow under the sun. They all chuckled.

“I look ridiculous.” Coulter groaned.

“No, you're perfect!” Azeneth commented, unable to control her laughter. “Just look at us. It's already working, and you didn't even need to joke or to make a face. You're a natural!”

Yuka burst out laughing. Jinora was trying to hide her nervous chuckles.

Azeneth wiped a tear of laugh. “Gods above. After one month of being worried, I really needed that... Thanks, Coulter.”

“I. Hate. All of you.” the redhead slowly articulated.

“We should go now.” Jinora intervened.

“Good idea.” Coulter said. “Just give me the jester's baton so I can shove it up Azeneth's as-”

“Language.” Yuka interrupted her.

Coulter scoffed. She grabbed the sphere that sent them in other potentialities and used her magic to stick the artifact to the top of the baton.

They would use it as soon as they freed Yisüi.

The four infiltrators were leaving the storage room when they heard the muffled groans of the first women who were waking up.

“Sorry about that!” Azeneth said. “Just bear it with us. It won't take more than a few hours!”

She ignored the angry grunts and closed the door.

Lord Devingshae was a portly man wearing gorgeous clothes. He was sitting at the place of honor. Two bodyguards were protecting the nobleman.

Yisüi was sitting next to him, wearing a ridiculously expensive white one-piece dress and white headdres hiding all her hair. One guard was posted behind her back. The other guests were sitting at Devingshae's table, or at two other tables on the sides of the dining room.

Yuka, Jinora, Azeneth, and Coulter walked at the center of the room. Guards armed with short swords and crossbows were stationed at each corner.

“Here they are! The entertainers!” the lord exclaimed. “Finally!”

Yisüi's eyes widened when she recognized the entertainers. She was about to shout something, but stopped herself just in time, and faked a cough to hide her reaction.

Nobody noticed her reaction however. They were all to busy observing the newcomers.

Lord Devingshae looked at Coulter.

He frowned.

There was a moment of silence.

Yuka warily looked at the crossbowmen.

Then, the nobleman burst out laughing. “Heavens above! Just look at this one! I've never seen a jester with such a comical appearance! She's a natural!”

All the guests laughed, following the lead of their lord.

Coulter clenched her fists and gritted her teeth. She was clearly contemplating the idea of incinerating every single person in the room.

“My lord, allow me to open up the spectacle.” Azeneth intervened to defuse the situation. “For I am the best knife thrower in all the worlds.” She graciously bowed in front of the lord.

She was actually looking great as a knife thrower.

Yuka noticed that Jinora couldn't take her eyes off the metis.

Lord Devingshae nodded in agreement.

“Now, I will need a few strong men to carry and hold that wooden table upright.” Azeneth said while pointing at an unused smaller rectangular table.

The lord made a gesture of the hand. Most of the guards in the room moved to grab the table, and held it upright.

“Now, so many men just for me? My lord, you shouldn't have!” the metis joked.

Everyone laughed, especially the guards.

Yuka smiled. Azeneth was a professional when it came to make a spectacle of herself. Everyone's attention was on her. She was going to be their distraction. Now, Jinora and she only needed to find the good window of opportunity to throw the smoke bombs...

“Now, my fellow jester will volunteer. Do not worry my lord. I won't harm her so she can continue to amuse you.”

Coulter glared at her and wordlessly went to stand in front of the wooden table held by the guards.

Azeneth threw a knife. It sticked into the wooden table next to Coulter's left arm. She threw another knife and hit the table next to the redhead's right arm. Two others knives were thrown, and sticked into the table right and left to Coulter's head. Another thrown knife sticked over her head. Finally, Azeneth threw one knife between Coulter's left arm and waist, and a second between her right arm and waist.

There were some polite clappings.

The metis smiled. It was now time for her to give her best shot. If they wanted to be able to create enough confusion with the smoke bombs, they needed to take everyone by surprise. Especially the lord's bodyguards. To achieve that, Azeneth needed to focus everyone's attention on her. Then, Jinora and Yuka would throw the smoke bombs.

Azeneth smiled.

“Now, something more difficult.”

She threw a knife under her free elbow, and hit the table near Coulter.

The metis started to hear some whispers in the audience.

“Even more difficult”

She raised her leg, and threw the knife under it. She hit the table near Coulter.

“More and more difficult.”

She threw a knife while keeping her back turned to Coulter. She hit the table near her. The redhead was still unharmed.

The whispers were now admirative.

“Now, the most difficult one.” Azeneth announced, ready for the coup de grace.

She asked Jinora to blindfold her.

The entire crowd held their breath.

Everyone in the room was now watching Azeneth. Including Devingshae's bodyguards and the guard watching Yisüi.

Nobody was looking at Yuka and Jinora. Azeneth had successfully distracted everyone with her little show.

“That's our cue.” Jinora whispered.

She and Yuka grabbed the smoke bombs, and threw it right at Lord Devingshae's feet.

They broke and released a thick black smoke.

“What the-?! Witchcraft! Murder! Someone's murdering me!” the man exclaimed with a suddenly high-pitched voice.

All the guards reflexively rushed to his rescue, while the guests were running away.

Azeneth removed her blindfold. She tripped the guard who was trying to grab Jinora, then threw her knife to pin to a wooden beam by the collar of her cloak the woman who was aiming her crossbow at Yuka. Surprised, the guard dropped her weapon and grabbed the knife to try to remove it.

Yisüi took advantage of the confusion to knee her guardian in the crotch. While the man was falling on his knees, she ran around the table. Jinora and Yuka took her hands.

“You're here! Gods above! You're here!” the blonde was crying of relief.

“Later for the effusions. Az'! Coulter! Come here!” Yuka shouted.

At the same time, the guards around lord Devingshae were starting to understand that the smoke was, in fact, harmless.

“The entertainers! They're stealing the bride!” one exclaimed.

“What?! Stop them!” lord Devingshae exclaimed. “Don't let them elope with my bride!” He stopped screaming when he noticed the woman at the center of the room.

Coulter was glaring daggers at him. Her eyes were burning with unbounded rage. The man recoiled in fear.

“Hey, fatass, how's that for a joke?!” the redhead shouted at the nobleman.

Coulter used her power to send plates of food flying and crashing onto Devingshae, ruining his expensive clothes with the greasy sauces. Others plates hit the guards in the face.

Yuka, Azeneth, Jinora, and Yisüi took advantage of the distraction to regroup around the mage-woman.

“Now, THAT is hilarious!” the redhead exclaimed.

“Coulter! We don't have the time!”

The guards were recovering quickly. They grabbbed their crossbows and pointed their weapons at the five women.

Coulter reflexively tapped into the power of the sphere while the four other women were clutching at her.

However, in her hurry, the redhead wasn't able to choose their destination.

A flash of light.

The five women disappeared.

“Great. Where are we NOW?” Yuka exclaimed.

In front of them, there was a beach of fine sand. Behind them, palm trees. A small wind was blowing, and the waves were making a regular soothing noise.

“Well, I guess it could have been worst...” the shapeshifter admitted.

To her relief, she noticed that her four companions were still with her.

“And we have managed to stay together. That's great!”

We'll simply need to make sure to always be close to each other when we use the artifact.

Coulter wasted no time throwing away the jester hat. Had it not forced her to be in her undergarments, Yuka suspected that she would have done the same with the rest of the jester costume.

Yisüi, however, didn't bother with such details. She removed her shoulders from the dress, let it fall on the sand, and walked out of the garment. Her undergarments were covering most of her body anyway: white ankle-long underpants and a short-sleeved white chemise.

“There you go, you pig! That's what I do with your precious dress!” the blonde exclaimed while throwing the white dress into the sea. “And my best regards! May a horse step on your private parts!”

Azeneth chuckled and punched her lightly in the shoulder. “You go girl! That's the spirit!”

Yisüi laughed.

Then she started to cry.

She embraced Azeneth, Yuka, and Jinora.

“Thank you! Thank you so much! I... I thought that...” She didn't finish her sentence.

“Did he... Did he touch you?” Yuka asked her carefully.

Yisüi shook her head. “No. He wanted to wait after the wedding. But I thought that I'd never see you again... Especially you, Yuka...”

“You do realize that I'm standing right there.” Coulter intervened.

Yisüi dried her eyes. “Sorry... I'm grateful to you too... Very grateful... And I also missed you...” she earnestly said. “But I figured out you wouldn't like... a physical contact.”

Coulter avoided her grateful gaze. “No need to overdo it.”

Azeneth smiled slyly and looked sideways at the redhead.

“It's true that we wouldn't have managed to find each other without you... Plus, I haven't forgotten that you agreed to wear a jester costume just to rescue Yisüi. That's actually awfully nice of you...”

Yisüi looked at the redhead with even more gratitude, but Coulter was frowning. She was anticipating a dirty trick.

Azeneth's smile widened as she kept talking. “You know what this calls for? A GROUP HUG!”

Coulter recoiled in fear.

“Don't approach me!” she exclaimed.

But Azeneth was faster than her. She grabbed her arm and, soon, Coulter was at the center of a group hug, as Yuka, Yisüi, Jinora and Azeneth was embracing her and each other.

A few seconds passed.

“All right! All right! Enough with the mushy stuff!” Coulter said while moving away.

The four other women chuckled.

Then, Yuka looked at the jester baton that the redhead was still holding, on top of which the sphere was still magically sticked.

“Coulter? Can you send us home or not?” the shapeshifter asked.

“I don't know. I have a hard time using the sphere.”

“In the ruins of the Yr Widdfa, it seemed to react when you got angry. Maybe we should anger you again...” Yisüi commented.

“Shouldn't be too hard.” Azeneth joked.

“Not a very good idea.” Yuka objected. “We want to be able to choose our destination, not to be sent at random potentialities. How about-”

“Hey!” a female voice suddenly called them.

The five companions turned to face the person who had just called them.

A patrol of soldiers had approached them while they were talking. They deployed in an arc.

Several of them snickered when they saw the oufits they were wearing, especially Coulter's. (The redhead glared daggers at them.) One of them whistled when she noticed that Yisüi was in her underwear. The blonde's cheeks reddened slightly.

The soldiers were eight women, and seemed to all be from the same country: They were sharing the same slightly tanned skin colour, round-shaped eyes, oval faces, and tall figures. Their eyes were various shades of brown, and their hair were dark brown or black.

The women were wearing black three-cornered hats, blue button up uniform jackets over white shirts, white uniform trousers with brown belts, two brown shoulder belts carrying ammunitions, and calf-long black boots. Each woman's hair was tied into a ponytail with a black bow.

The soldiers were pointing unknown weapons at Yuka and her friends.

“What are these?” Yisüi whispered.

“It looks like the muskets my people were inventing... though a lot more sophisticated.” Azeneth commented.

The officer commanding the small squad was recognizable thanks to the red shoulder pads on her uniform jacket. She asked them a question.

“What language are they speaking?” Yuka asked.

“Looks like mine.” the metis answered. “Though I don't understand all the words... I'll try to communicate with them.”

Azeneth asked a question to the soldiers in the language of her father's kingdom.

The soldiers shared a glance. The leader of their patrol said a few sentences. She was smiling wickedly. The other soldiers chuckled.

“Oh.” Azeneth exclaimed when she was finished.

“What did they say?” Yuka asked.

“That they are soldiers working for the Atabean Trading Company, and that we are their prisoners. They intend to capture us and to sell us as slaves for the plantations.”

Yuka blinked. “Oh. That's unfortunate.”

The soldiers were smiling confidently. They were armed with muskets while Yuka and her friends didn't have any weapon.

Coulter rolled her eyes.

“This is getting ridiculous. Ask them if they know something about Sun Mages.”

“Why?” Azeneth said.

“Just ask them. I want to check something about this world.”

Azeneth complied.

The soldiers laughed and their officer retorted something.

“They say that this is a mere legend from a distant country.”

Coulter smiled.

Yuka intervened. “Coulter, remember to play nice. We may need more informations, as well as their clothes.”

The red-haired mage-woman groaned.

“Fine. It won't end in tears.”

She violently closed her fists.

The soldiers' weapons were instantly crushed.

The women looked at their destroyed muskets, then at Coulter, then at their muskets again. They shared an awkward look.

Azeneth and Yuka ran and jumped into the fray.

Azeneth kneed the woman that was the closest to her in the stomach, grabbed her arm, and threw her to the ground. She socked another soldier in the jaw, and a third in the stomach. The two women fell on the ground: the first on the back, the second on the knees while clutching her stomach.

At the same time, Yuka grabbed the neck of the officer. Her palm glowed. The woman's eyes widened. She gurgled, grunted, and collapsed out cold on the sand.

Jinora and Yisüi immobilized the two soldiers that Azeneth had punched by twisting one arm in the back.

The metis, while Yuka was knocking out the officer with her touch, dealt with two other soldiers by conking their heads together. Then she kicked a third one in the stomach, before knocking her out with one neck chop while she was bending over.

Dazzled, the two soldiers whose heads Azeneth conked were staggering. Yuka finished them off, knocking them out.

The last soldier tried to flee.

Coulter moved her hands. An invisible force immobilized the woman in uniform and lifted her up into the air. Another gesture of the hand, and the woman was moved in front of them.

As white as a sheet, the soldier was talking quickly.

“What's she babbling about?” Coulter asked.

“She's saying that they weren't serious. That they were jesting.” Azeneth translated.

The redhead laughed and released the woman, who fell on the ground.

Yuka smiled devilishly. “Az'. Tell her that we appreciated their little joke, and that it's now our turn to have fun. Tell her to strip herself. And then to strip her friends.”

“No! Wait a second!” Coulter interrupted her. The redhead looked at the captured soldier. “Ask her if she found me funny.”

“What?”

“Just ask her.”

Azeneth asked her.

The panicky soldier looked right and left. Then she gave the answer that she thought would please the mage-woman.

“Y... Yes...?”

Coulter smiled fiercely. Her eyes were burning with anger. “So I am funny?! SO I AM FUNNY?! I'LL SHOW YOU FUNNY!”

She moved her hands like a conductor.

The soldier shouted in fear and surprise when she saw her outer clothes, as if taking on a life of their own, remove themselves one by one and fly in the air, landing on a neat bundle nearby.

“NOW, IS IT STILL FUNNY?! I'M CERTAINLY HAVING FUN! AREN'T YOU?!”

She started to magically strip the unconscious soldiers. The three-cornered hats flied on their own. The belts unbuckled themselves. The jackets unbuttoned themselves. The boots were removing themselves, and so were the pants and the shirts. The various garments were flying.

“Coulter! Stop it! I think they've learned their lesson!” Yuka exclaimed, unable to witness the spectacle any longer.

“Yes! Please stop! This is just getting obscene!” Azeneth added.

They managed to calm down the mage-woman, but only after she had already undressed half of the patrol.

“Let us take things from here... The old-fashioned way...”

Coulter scoffed and went sulking a little afar.

“Phew! Remind me to never complain again that she's not taking an active part in the stealing of the clothes.” Yuka commented.

Azeneth nodded. “Agreed. I mean, I appreciate magic lending us a hand from time to time when we neutralize someone. But like that? This is just obscene...”

She and Yuka stripped the remaining unconscious soldiers using the old fashioned-way, while Yisüi and Jinora was binding the soldier that was still conscious. The woman was so shocked, she didn't even try to resist.

“Was taking their uniforms really necessary?” Coulter commented while trying to adjust the tight collar of her blue uniform jacket.

“In my opinion, when in another world, it's best to look like the locals.” Yuka answered while putting on the black boots.

“Besides, did you want to keep the jester outfit?” Azeneth retorted while slipping into the white uniform trousers.

“NO!”

“Though I have to admit that these clothes are way too tight around the collar. Guess they don't joke with discipline in this army.” the metis admitted.

Under some palm trees, the soldiers of the defeated patrol were seated. The ones who were still unconscious were resting against the ones who had regained consciousness.

They were all stripped down to their undergarments, which were all similar: grey sleeveless button up undertunics and knee-long underpants of matching colour tied around the waist with a piece of string. Their socks were also stolen, as their captors needed thick socks to walk in the boots.

While Yuka and her friends only needed five sets of uniforms, they stripped the three other women both to use their belts and strips of their clothes as makeshift ropes, and to teach them a good lesson.

Each soldier's wrists and ankles were tightly bound. They were cleave-gagged.

“Well, that was maybe pointless, but it was also immensely fun.” Yuka commented. “Now, let's find an isolated spot where we can try to get the artifact working.”

They ignored the mewling defeated soldiers and walked away.

Once they were in an isolated spot behind some rocks, Coulter brandished the baton and concentrated.

“I... I think I'm starting to feel something...”

The artifact started to glow.

There was a flash of light.

The five women disappeared.

Blackness.

Blackness all around them.

They were floating in the nothing.

“Stay near Coulter!” Yuka immediately exclaimed to warn her three friends.

They all immediately grabbed a part of Coulter's body.

“Not the hair!” the mage-woman exclaimed.

“Sorry.” Jinora said, grabbing a shoulder instead.

“Coulter. What's going on? It didn't happen when we fled Devingshae's castle.” Azeneth said.

“I don't know... Something's not right...”

She tried to use the artifact again, but a faint black fog was surrounding the sphere.

“I think there's another presence!” Coulter exclaimed.

Yuka felt it too. A dreadful corrupting noxious aura.

“It's-” the mage-woman started to say.

“-the Black Star?!” the shapeshifter interrupted her.

From the nothing, a loud blaring voice suddenly echoed.

WOW! OH GREAT! IT ACTUALLY WORKED! NEAT! WELL, I GUESS IT WAS EITHER THAT OR FRYING MY BRAIN...

Yuka recognized the voice.

“Tsu'?! Is that you?!” she incredulously exclaimed.

DID YOU MISS ME?

The voice was sounding impish.

ADMIT IT, YOU MISSED ME!

Yuka couldn't believe her ears.

“But... How did you- How can you be here?” she finally asked.

WELL, THANKS TO THE POWER OF THE BLACK STAR, OF COURSE. AND A LITTLE HELP FROM MY GOOD PAL ITZEL. WOULD YOU BELIEVE ME IF I SAY THAT I'M SLEEPING, ACTUALLY? DREAMS ARE THE WINDOW LEADING TO OTHER WORLDS, THAT IS HOW I MANAGED TO CRASH YOUR LITTLE PARTY.

Yuka felt a shiver down her spine. “Tsuki. What's the big idea?”

YOUR ARTIFACT IS ACTUALLY MAKING QUITE THE RUCKUS IN THE INVISIBLE WORLD OF THE ENERGIES. WE CAN'T USE IT TO FIND YOU, BUT IT CERTAINLY IS INTERESTING TO TRY TO SEE IF I CAN SPICE THINGS UP A BIT DURING YOUR TRAVELS!

“Tsuki! Don't you dare!”

However, Yuka knew that her warning was worthless. What could she do against Tsuki? She wasn't even here!

I ENVY YOU, YU'. the voice commented. YOU CERTAINLY FIND WAYS TO HAVE TONS OF FUN! I WISH I COULD VISIT ALL THESE DIFFERENT WORLDS. THERE MUST BE SO MANY NEW APPEARANCES TO TAKE... I'LL MAKE SURE YOU GIRLS STAY OCCUPIED WHILE WE SEARCH THE AREA FOR YOU! HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON!

“Wait!”

Tsuki's voice vanished.

“The artifact!” Coulter exclaimed. “I'm losing control!”

They appeared in a cosy dining room, in what seemed to be a cosy manor. The place was tastefully decorated with paintings, tapesteries, luxuous cadelabras, and refined pieces of furniture.

Yuka and her companions weren't alone however.

Four other women were sitting around a table made of precious wood. They were drinking a cup of tea.

The lady of the house was in her mid-forties, with a white skin, long but heavily made up black hair. She was wearing a long elegant white dress made from only the finest silks, a black and white disc fascinator hat which rested gently upon the side of her head, a bright and fully bloomed flower clipped just to the left of her breasts, fine pearl earrings as well as three fine pearl necklaces, black leather gloves and finally black and white dress boots. To top it all off, a small black handbag was secured just under her right arm.

The three other women at her table were younger. One had blond hair, the second had black hair, and the third had brown hair.

The elegant lady raised an eyebrow and calmly sipped her cup of tea, as if people appearing from thin air was an everyday occurrence to her. She put her cup on the table. Her movements were graceful and refined.

She was sending shivers down Yuka's spine.

“Oh. Now, that is a surprise.” the elegant lady calmly commented. “I wasn't expecting visitors today. But please, be my guests. My daughters and I would be delighted to have you for dinner.”

The blond young woman looked at her mother. She was suddenly looking very interested. “Truly, mum?” she asked with a hopeful tone.

“Yes indeed, my daughter. Even proper ladies can indulge in some fun from time to time, as long as it's not in public of course.”

The three daughters chuckled.

The four women then got up from their seats.

Their eyes changed to bright orange, and their jaws suddenly widened and a load of fangs suddenly replaced their perfectly straight teeth.

Yisüi and Jinora let out a small exclamation of terror. Azeneth cursed.

Yuka's eyes widened as she felt an abject primal fear.

“Coulter! Burn them!” she shrieked.

“What?”

“BURN THEM!” Yuka insisted while shaking the redhead's shoulder.

The red-haired mage-woman was taken a little aback by her request though. She threw a simple fireball.

The elegant lady gracefully dodged. The fireball exploded the table.

“Now, that is most unkind.” she commented. “And very rude as well. This isn't a proper way to respond to an invitation, especially for a lady.”

“What are you doing?!” Yuka shrieked at the mage-woman. “You usually rain down fire until the entire area is scorched! Just go all out! Obliterate them! FRY THEM!”

Coulter raised her hands and unleashed her powers.

However, the elegant lady had already assessed the situation – and the fact that she couldn't face the mage-woman's firepower head-on.

She casted a black fog around her and her three daughters.

They disappeared into thin air.

One second later, Coulter torched the entire place.

“You missed them.” Azeneth commented.

The artifact glowed.

“Oh great...”

They appeared behind some bushes.

At some distance, they could see strange buildings: rectangular, grey and white. With symbols they didn't know: a blue circle and another symbol that was striped red and white, with a blue rectangle and yellow stars. Nearby, there were weird metallic structures they had never seen before.

“What's this place? Some kind of temple?” Jinora muttered.

“Coulter, try to control the artifact. We have to-”

Yuka was interrupted when she heard some faint noises from a nearby bush.

“Mhh! Hhlmp mhh! Plhhsh! H'm hhrr!”

The noises of a gagged woman trying to call for help. Yuka knew that sound very well...

Azeneth and Jinora reflexively moved apart the foliage.

Hidden in the bushes, a bound-and-gagged woman was lying on the grass. Since she was half-naked, Yuka could only deduce that somebody had stolen her clothes.

The woman had a white skin, brown eyes, and dark hair spilled over her face.

The restraints binding her looked nothing like what the five companions knew. The ropes wrapped around her wrists, ankles, knees, and shoulders were black, thin, and smooth. She wasn't gagged with a piece of cloth, but with a device that looked like Coulter's sticky ribbons, excpet that it was grey and wasn't made of cloth.

Her undergarments were also nothing like what they knew. First, they were a lot more colourful than usual: coral-coloured for the top part, orange for the lower part, and bright red for the socks. Then, she wasn't wearing an undertunic but a device with straps on her shoulders and behind her back, mostly made of two cups covering her breasts. And it was as if her underpants had been cut to only cover the pelvis and not the thighs.

“Unbelievable...” Azeneth commented.

She approached the woman.

“I mean, have you looked at her undergarments?! I've never seen such undertunic! It only covers the breasts, but it has straps... And these underpants... Also, have you noticed the thing they used to gag her? It looks like Coulter's ribbon. But it hasn't been crafted with magic...”

The woman's muffled cries became louder, as she didn't appreciate being ignored.

“Az'! You can't just stare at a half-naked woman's undergarments! That's rude!” Jinora intervened.

“Sorry, sorry!” the metis said.

She removed the strange smooth grey ribbon gagging the woman.

“Who are you? And what's with your clothes?” the woman immediately asked.

“Well, who are YOU? And what's with YOUR clothes?” Azeneth retorted.

The woman shook her head. “Listen, it's not important. My name's Ashley! I'm a guard working here! You have to help me! There are criminals trying to sabotage the space program!”

The metis tilted her head. “Space Program? What's this?”

Ashley glared at them as if they came from another planet.

“You know... The Space Program... The NASA...”

The artifact started to glow.

“Az'! The sphere is glowing again! Come here quickly!” Yuka exclaimed.

“Sorry!” Azeneth said to Ashley. “We can't stay here!”

She regrouped with the others.

A flash of light.

Ashley closed her eyes.

When she opened them again, the five women had disappeared.

Ashley stared at the empty clearing in front of her during several minutes, unable to look away.

Then she chose to convince herself that it was only an hallucination caused by the fact that she had been knocked out recently. It was the best course of action, for the good of her mental health.

The guard finally realized that she was still ungagged however. Courageously, she started to call for help

They appeared in the clearing of a forest that looked like Pakal's forests.

The artifact stopped glowing.

“I think these travels between potentialities are making me nauseaous...” Yisüi commented.

Jinora and Azeneth helped her stand correctly.

“I recognize this forest...” Yuka said. “We're in Pakal again.”

“But why? Is it a trap?” Coulter said. “Did Tsuki transport us in an ambush? Are the Mages about to strike us?”

They warily scanned their surroundings.

Nobody.

Time passed.

Still nobody.

Only the sounds of the creatures of the forest and of the wind in the leaves.

“I think-” Jinora started to say.

“Hush! Somebody's approaching!” Yuka suddenly said.

The noises were faint, but a shapeshifter knew them well.

Indeed, a shapeshifter could recognize the way of walking of her peers.

“Who are you? And what are you doing here?” a voice suddenly asked them. “This is OUR secret clearing. Go find your own!”

The newcomers were three girls – three teenagers.

The first girl was walking in front of the trio. She clearly was the leader. She had a tanned skin, green-hazel eyes and short dark brown hair. There were a few bruises on her arms, and a few bandages as well notably around her hands: She definitively was the kind of girl who picked up fights with the people trying to tell her what to do.

The second girl looked timid and meek. She was standing behind her friend. Her eyes were sky blue, her skin was light, and her light brown hair were tied into a ponytail, with also one lock of hair falling on each shoulder.

Yuka's heart broke when she saw the third girl. She had midback-long loose black hair, a light skin, and faded grey eyes that were almost looking white. The girl's two friends' attitude towards her was very protective. Which was logical: the black-haired girl was blind. She was holding a staff in one hand, and her other hand was clutching the shoulder of the light brown-haired girl. She was using them both to orient herself. Blindness... Such physical imperfection was unheard of among shapeshifters. She was a unique case in that matters.

Yuka understood where she was, and who these three girls were.

Azeneth took a step forward. “Yu'... This is...” She didn't dare finish her sentence.

Yuka nodded.

They were in a potentiality representing Pakal. But one that was before the search for the Black Star. Before the fire. Before the hatred.

She was facing a younger alternate version of herself, with Tsuki and Hinata.

“Tsuki! You didn't have the right to do that!” Yuka angrily shouted at the sky.

P.S.: Huge thanks to Tirepanted for his brilliant proposition of trobairitz and jesters... that I simply couldn't let go to waste. ;)
Last edited by rufusluciusivan on Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Trackman281

Post by Trackman281 »

I have seen your other story has been posted, but with both excitement and dread flowing through me, THIS had to be reviewed first. 8-)

Heck yeah!! Beautiful opening and Azeneth and Jinora are back on the scene, *phew*, I'm genuinely thrilled that they are genuinely okay........my heart can rest easy for a moment. :D

I loved the trobairitz clothing. It's new, it's unique and very creative. Truly amazing, brilliant work. :)

I loved the entire scene with Gabrielle and Alexa, it was great and I paid very close attention as to how Yuka tied up Alexa for..........Research purposes. ;)

HAHA. :lol: BRILLIANT. I loved the jester scene, all she could do was make light of her situation, AMAZING! :lol:

“What?! Are you jesting?”..........Did Coulter just inadvertently do a joke about the jester's uniform. :lol: :D

The scene afterwards was really great, I have to admit seeing all these characters banter with one another really put a smile on my face and I must admit I'm in the same boat as Azeneth. For after fearing the worst before only to see them happy and well again.....I needed that chuckle too. :D

HAHAHAHA......Ahh God, poor Coulter, I just imagined a whole room of people suddenly bursting out in laughter at Coulter's appearance, nicely done. :D

She's a fine woman, no wonder all the guards rushed in to help Azeneth. ;)

That entire knife throwing scene was truly a delight to read. I really enjoyed it. :) Plus I really liked it when Coulter gave that jack arse of a nobleman, exactly what he deserved. Good times. :D 8-)

I'm very pleased that Yisüi is safe and sound as well as reunited with the group too........And my heart can breathe easy once more. :D

Hell yeah GROUP HUG! It needs to be done. Loved that little scene. :D

Loved this entire scene with the eight female soldiers. The moment they started laughing and the groups outfits I just thought to myself......."Here comes the Karma".......haha :lol: ...........I loved the idea that Coulter can make her victims strip themselves using her magic even though her victims still have full realization as to what is happening. Nice touch. :D

I've read the entire scene with a very welcomed appearance by Tsuki, just please give me a second to read a little further down because you've done it again, you've got me hooked and I just want to read a little more..............

..................Wait......Wait.....is that?............HAHA OH MY GOD!!!!!! ........So that's where Alicia and her three daughters have been hiding. I thought I'd hadn't seen them around lately :D 8-)..............Make no mistake , this will certainly be carried on / referenced in the second chapter. :D :D

HAHAH. YES and I fully understand the next reference. But don't worry I'm keeping my mouth shut, until that certain someone, can read this for themselves.......Absolutely amazing, THIS is just a fantastic chapter. I'm loving this. :D 8-)

Oh no............The ending, of this chapter............Oh no.........I sense pain on the horizon, I'll try and prepare my heart for the worse........I said try............. :D

Well. This is just brilliant, it was so beautifully written. I love the emotions, I love the heart and the soul that goes into each of your chapters. I LOVED watching them all reunite, this was just so damn good. See it is as I keep on saying, your chapters make me want more, the wait is always worth it..........Again, I'm lost for damn words which is really annoying. Just please know that I absolutely loved this chapter. :D :D
rufusluciusivan

Trakckman: I was hoping you'd appreciate this little surprise ;) . Though take your time to read the other stories, I can wait for your comments. I'll have to take a break anyway.

Perhaps the reunion with Azeneth, Jinora and Yisüi happened a little too quickly (at first Alicia's scene was supposed to happen right at the beginning), but I couldn't find a satisfying adventure for Coulter and Yuka, therefore I decided to not waste time with filler.

The scenes with the performers were a ton of fun to write since I could imagine unique clothes. Plus, the scene with the jester was begging for some nice puns.

Indeed, Alexa was bound for research purposes. :lol:

I will never thank tirepanted enough for the idea to put Coulter in a jester costume. The jokes around her were just perfect during the entire part in my opinion. And yes, the 'jesting' pun was purely accidental from her part. But not mine. :lol:

I said it before, but I say it again: I simply adore the group dynamic between the main characters, therefore writing their interactions almost comes naturally and is a ton of fun. Same with the scene of the reunion with Yisüi and the scene with the GROUP HUG. Coulter's going to feel the power of friendship, by hook or by crook.
She's a fine woman, no wonder all the guards rushed in to help Azeneth. ;)
She has charms, wits, sense of humour, and she knows how to throw knives. Of course they would! :lol:

The knife throwing scene was a little call-back to the little spectacle she gave Yisüi on the boat in Chapter 3. Never underestimate the power of showing off!

Lord Devingshae was maybe a minor one-time antagonist, but her karma was certainly satisfying. He's not the worst out there, but he's still scum.

The soldiers indeed received their due karma, though they might have gotten away had they just laughed at the outfits. But slavery? Now they were begging for some USB karma. (For the anecdote, they're inspired from a Tabletop Game called 7th Sea, which is where is featured this Atabean Trading Company they briefly mention. 7th also gave me some inspiration for name and characters. Azeneth is partly based on an NPC called Azeneth Medellin.) As for Coulter using magic to strip the soldiers.... Well, it was time for me to incoporate magic to uniform stealings. This is supposed to be one of the premise of this story...

Tsuki is showing up to ruin the party. Gotta use some more this premise of different world.

I guess that's why Alicia gave Vendela an easy time recently: she was too busy trying to find a new house after Coulter torched the previous one!

Does it show that the parallel world/other potentiality thing was also an excuse to reference other stories? ;) :lol: Because it was :P

Accursed cliffhanger. I admit that the moment I had the basic idea for this chapter, I wanted to end at some point on this cliffhanger. ;)

Though if it can ease your worries and pain a little, I can give you a sneak-peak of their first conversation (as of now). Let's just say that it wasn't as serious as they expected...
(Warning, spoilers ahead if you haven't read the latest update.)

“Tsuki! You didn't have the right to do that!” Yuka shouted at the sky.

The three young shapeshifters took a step back, as they weren't expecting her outburst.

Hinata winced. Young-Yuka frowned.

“Wh... What? But... But I didn't do anything!” Tsuki timidly protested.

Yuka was taken aback.

“What? No, not you... I meant...”

“Hey! Leave her alone! Or I'll break your kneecaps!” Young-Yuka exclaimed.

She rushed and tried to kick Old-Yuka in the knee, forcing the older woman to dodge.

When she noticed the teenager's stormy expression, Azeneth couldn't help but chuckle.

“My, my, Yuka... You sure were a handful when you were young...”

The shapeshifter became bright red because of the embarassment, even temporarily forgetting the situation she was in. She didn't want to be reminded of her awkward phase!

“Don't patronize me!” her younger counterpart exclaimed while glaring daggers at Azeneth. “I will fight you! Old woman!”

Azeneth's smile disappeared. “Old woman?! Oh, I'll show you, you little-”

“Az', calm down and restrain yourself.” Jinora intervened. “She's just a teenage girl. You're an adult. You're supposed to be more mature than her.”

“Yeah! 'Cause she's OLD!” Young-Yuka intervened with a mocking smile.

Azeneth growled. “Yu'. Will you hold it against me if I punch you in the face?”

Oops... BURN! Though I may change it. It may be too much of a mood whiplash. What do you think?
Trackman281

Post by Trackman281 »

I guess that's why Alicia gave Vendela an easy time recently: she was too busy trying to find a new house after Coulter torched the previous one!
Oh don't worry I didn't just appreciate it, I flat out LOVED IT. :D 8-) HAHA indeed, although make no mistake, when we join Alicia and her daughters again, it will be interesting to see what they just thought of this experience..........And her burnt house, aaahhh and she just put in new curtains too hahaha :lol: :D

I like it, I like where this going already and YES, it does relax me a little, I think it's the knowledge of the inevitable, because we all know of the fate that will befall Hinata. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes I really am. :D

YES, don't worry I'm going to read the next "Vigilante" chapter tomorrow. THEN I'll read your latest story "Supervillainess: The Greatest Show(wo)man" on Saturday........Because I want to enjoy these and fully absorb their greatness...........You should all know me by now though, I won't keep you waiting too long because sheer anticipation usually takes over as I can never wait to see what happens next. :D
tirepanted3

Post by tirepanted3 »

Well, this chapter had quite a few welcome surprises. Though I'll admit, it may be difficult for me to judge it objectively. :lol:

First, I'm glad you liked my suggestions about the trobairitz and jester. The dialogue with Coulter trying on the jester outfit was great - though I feel a little guilty, as it was due to my suggestion that Coulter was humiliated this way. Sorry, Coulter! :)

I also like how Azeneth and Jinora have been keeping busy while Yuka and Coulter have been away, and the chapter immediately throws us into their action. (One of the trobairitz is already unconscious when we meet her.) A good way to keep up the pace and maintain tension.

The scene with Ashley - wow! Never thought I'd see a character of mine make a cameo in this saga. And she still doesn't have much luck, it seems; now she's left wondering if she hallucinated a quintet of women disappearing into thin air. A brilliant little crossover.

The little crossover with Vendela was also unexpected and amusing, not to mention a little creepy and suspenseful. These girls need to watch where the artifact takes them. :)

Again, I'm probably biased here, but this was a fun chapter that kept things moving. Nicely done, and thanks for the shout-out. :D
rufusluciusivan

Well, the aim is these stories is to please the people who read it, so... ;)

Your suggestion was so great, it would have been a crime to not put it to good use. Sure, Coulter's dignity was hurt in the process, but it was for the greater good of funny scenes and uniform stealings. A necessary sacrifice.

I wanted to begin in medias res indeed to keep up the pace (and quickly jump into the uniform stealings), and also as a way to show that Azeneth, Jinora and Yisüi had been busy with their own off-screen adventure while Coulter and Yuka were having their little duo-adventure.

I'm glad you enjoyed Ashley's little cameo. Though maybe she is an alternate Asley from an alternate Earth? Though if she's the 'main' one, then it means it's her fourth mugging? I think I've lost the count. :lol: Anyway, given the number of times I joked at her expense, I guess she was the perfect candidate for this brief little shot-out. Honestly, one of the main reasons why I chose to have a scenario featuring world-jumping was because I knew full-well that it would be a perfect set-up to make shot-outs to other stories. These little cameos allow to have scenes that have a distinct flavour. I confess that Ashley's / To Steal a Spacesuit's shot-out was the one I was worried the most about, because it features a time period and a setting very different. (In that regards, the crossover with Vendela's story was a lot easier to pull of.) However, it also tied in with one of Azeneth's remarks from an early part of this series, during which she was lamenting about the fact that undergarments weren't very various in their country. Of course she would be interested to see how things changed in the 'modern' times! :lol: Plus, it was amusing to see how women from a fantasy world would react to a modern world, and how they would describe it.
rufusluciusivan

Chapter 4: Part 3

“Tsuki! You didn't have the right to do that!” Yuka angrily shouted at the sky.

The three young shapeshifters took a step back, as they weren't expecting her outburst.

Hinata winced. As her other senses were more acute, she didn't like it when people screamed.

Young-Yuka frowned.

“Wh... What? But... But I didn't do anything!” Tsuki timidly protested.

Yuka was taken aback.

“What? No, not you... I meant...”

“Hey! Leave her alone! Or I'll break your kneecaps!” Young-Yuka exclaimed.

She rushed forward and tried to kick her main counterpart. Yuka dodged her kick.

When she noticed the teenager's stormy expression, Azeneth couldn't help but chuckle.

“My, my, Yuka... You sure were a handful when you were young...”

The shapeshifter became bright red because of the embarassment, even temporarily forgetting the situation she was in. She didn't want her friends to witness her 'awkward' phase!

“Don't patronize me!” her younger counterpart exclaimed while glaring daggers at Azeneth. “I will fight you! Old woman!”

Azeneth's smile disappeared. “Old woman?! Oh, I'll show you, you little-”

“Az', calm down and restrain yourself.” Jinora intervened. “She's just a teenage girl. You're an adult. You're supposed to be more mature than her.”

“Yeah! 'Cause she's OLD!” Young-Yuka intervened with a mocking smile.

Jinora had to grab Azeneth's arm.

The metis growled. “Yu'. Will you hold it against me if I punch you in the face?”

“Az'...” Jinora said with a warning tone.

“Fine! Fine! I'll be the mature one. And I'll- What's that noise?”

They could hear sounds coming from the forest. However, they weren't the usual noises of the woods.

These were angry screams.

Yuka and her friends shared a perplexed look.

However, the three teenaged shapeshifters all paled together.

“The villagers!” Hinata shrieked. Thanks to her acute senses, she could hear the voices better than everyone else. “They are coming for us!”

Tsuki let out a whimper of fear.

Yuka's younger counterpart glared daggers at the five companions and walked in front of her two friends to shield them with her body.

“You're with them! I'm sure you're with them!”

“Wait...”

Yuka took a step in their direction.

“Don't approach them!” her younger counterpart screamed.

Young-Yuka grabbed her two friends by the hand. The three of them ran away before anyone had the time to react.

Yuka wasn't able to grab them before they fled. She had underestimated their speed. Her time spent working for Rashid, infiltrating herself and mugging women, had made her forget that when she was young, flight was her only viable option in case of danger.

She was about to rush after the three teenagers, when she felt a hand grab her wrist.

“Yuka! Tsuki's hold on the sphere is weakening!” Coulter exclaimed. “I think I can take control of the artifact again, to try to bring us home.”

But Yuka couldn't take her eyes off the bushes into which the three young shapeshifters disappeared.

“I don't understand! These events shouldn't happen now! It's too soon! We were older when it happened.”

“We're not in the past, Yuka.” Coulter explained. “We're in another potentiality. This may look like our world, but it's not.”

“They're in danger! They're too young to fight off their pursuers!”

“Yuka. We have to go!” the redhead exclaimed, out of patience.

Yuka freed her wrist and took a few steps away from her.

“No!” she reflexively shouted.

Coulter glared at her.

“Yu'?” Azeneth started to say.

“I refuse! I refuse to fail them a second time!” Yuka exclaimed.

Coulter shook her head. “Yuka. This is not the past. This won't change anything in our potentiality. They are not YOUR friends. They're maybe not even real!”

“It doesn't matter!” Yuka angrily shouted, interrupting her.

The shapeshifter didn't even know why she was doing it. It indeed wouldn't change her own story. It wasn't the past, it was another potentiality. It maybe wasn't even real... But at least she would know that, in one world, things would turn out fine for Tsuki and Hinata.

“Gods above, you can't-” Coulter started to say.

However, she wasn't able to finish her sentence.

Azeneth, Jinora, and Yisüi surrounded Yuka.

“We're with you.” the metis said to her friend. Jinora and Yisüi nodded.

Yuka could have cried of joy.

She embraced them.

The four friends stared at Coulter.

The mage-woman's face was undecipherable. She was still holding her baton. On it, the artifact was glowing slightly.

“I know that you could easily force us to come with you.” Yuka calmly said. “With your magic, it'd be easy. You would only need to forcibly transport us with the artifact.”

“This is one solution I'm contemplating.” the redhead bluntly admitted.

Yuka looked into the woman's amber eyes. “Coulter. If you were given one chance, just one chance, to go back to the night of the Mage's attack and save your clan... even if it was in another world... even if it wasn't real... Would you renounce it?”

Coulter stared at her. A moment passed.

Then the redhead lowered her baton. “I'll help you.” she simply said.

Yuka breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank you.”

Coulter shrugged. “It's not like I'll be very useful. For our safety, we will assume that the Mages of this potentiality are still looking for the Moon Child. Besides, even if they aren't, they will most likely investigate if they feel someone using a huge amount of power. I still have the concealing catalyst so I can use minor spells, but I won't be able to use much magic.”

Yuka shook her head and smiled at her. “I don't care about your powers. They don't matter. What matters is that you offered your help.”

Coulter bit her lip and refused to look into her eyes. “Don't waste time spewing nonsense if you want to find them!”

“Don't worry, I know where they'll be hiding. We had a secret hut, I bet that's where they'll take refuge.”

The forest was already crawling with groups of angry villagers. While they weren't the target of the lynch mob, Yuka reasoned that it was best to not be noticed by them.

In fact, she decided to use the presence of the villagers to her and her friends' advantage. After all, they were still wearing the foreign clothes of the soldiers. They needed more innocuous outfits.

The five companions avoided a few patrols of armed men, and went to a less crowded part of the forest.

There, hidden in some bushes, they saw a group of women. They were all villagers, and were therefore all wearing different clothes. With the exception of one. They were all wearing a blood red headband adorned with a black zig zag pattern around their forehead.

“The little monsters weren't in their house!” one of them was saying. “Search the woods and grab them! We'll teach them a lesson!”

“You saw the fire?” another villager commented with a wicked chuckle. “That'll teach them to settle near our village!”

They all chuckled wickedly, a sound which made Yuka want to break a few teeth.

“I sent the men eastwards.” the woman who was leading the small pack said. “We will search this part of the woods. Let's hunt these shapeshifters down!”

Her statement was met with shouts of approval.

Yuka realized that she and her friends were actually hiding near some of the leaders of the lynch mob!

Yuka saw the women walked away, and clenched her fists in anger.

Last time, she brutalized two young lasses who were basically peer-pressured into following the other villagers. This time, she would directly deal with some leaders of the pack...

“We will grab these ones.” the shapeshifter decided. “We will take their clothes.”

Azeneth, Jinora, and Yisüi shared a glance, but then nodded. They were as revolted as her.

“I will help you.” Coulter intervened.

Yuka briefly glanced at her. “I thought you hated the tactics that involved disguises and stealing people's clothes.”

“I still do. But these people deserve a lesson.” the redhead simply said.

Azeneth, Jinora, and Yisüi were looking a little surprised, but Yuka understood.

As a Charioteer, Coulter wasn't a stranger to lynch mobs. Rural communities were distrustful, and often downright hostile, towards her people's wagon trains. Yuka wouldn't be surprised to learn that the redhead had to flee in haste a lynch mob of angry villagers with her clan at least once in her life.

Coulter knew what one woman was feeling when chased by a lynch mob. She knew the fear and the powerlesness.

“Then let's do it together, as a team.” Yuka concluded.

Silently, they followed the group of villagers.

They were about to teach these so-called 'hunters' that they were, in fact, preys.

Illari was the leader of her small pack of women.

She was a tall slender woman with a copper-coloured skin, midback-long coarse braided black hair and dark brown eyes. Her face was angular and her chin was pointy.

Since her youth, Illari had always been a rowdy aggressive brute with a propensity for violence. However, the elders of the village had always kept an eye on her, preventing her from appeasing her base instincts. However, for shapeshifters, they wouldn't say anything. Illari was hoping she would be the one who captured the little monsters.

The villager was wearing a thick ankle-long one-piece dress made to work outside, with a rope tied aroud the waist as a belt, and thick brown leather sandals. Her dress was black with orange threads and a pattern of orange diamonds. She was carrying a sickle on her rope-belt.

“Make some noise, girls! I want them to be scared!” Illari exclaimed. “I want them to know that they're hunted!” she exclaimed.

The other villagers shouted.

Azeneth was following the group of women under the cover of the bushes and the trees. She noticed the lass who was a little behind the pack. This specific woman was slightly younger and shorter than her companions, hence why she had a hard time keeping up with them. She was, however, just as bloodthirsty and ethusiastic as them.

She had a round chubby face, a tanned skin, coarse shoulder-long black hair tied into five small braids, and dark eyes. She was wearing a plain brown ankle-long one-piece dress with a rope tied around the waist and thick leather sandals.

The metis smiled. She approched her prey from behind.

Azeneth waited. When the pack of women let out another shout of war, she striked.

The metis jumped the village lass, clamped one hand over her mouth, and pulled her into the bushes. By the time, the war cries were over, Azeneth and her victim had already disappeared into the vegetation.

There were a few rustles and grunts as the metis was punching the village lass into unconsciousness. However, the villager's companions didn't hear her muffled calls for help. They were too busy loudly chatting between themselves.

By the time they noticed her absence, the lass was already out cold, and Azeneth had dragged her under some bushes to conceal her figure.

“Where is Quilla?” Chaska asked.

Chaska was Illari's second-in-command. She was a muscular woman with a square jaw and a stout body. Her black hair were cut short and her brown eyes were small and pig-like. She was wearing the same thick ankle-long one-piece dress made to work outside, with a rope tied aroud the waist as a belt, and the same thick brown leather sandals as Illari. Her dress was red with a pattern of yellow and orange diamonds.

Illari noticed the absence of their youngest companion. “Gods above! I knew we shouldn't have brought this dead weight with us!”

She pointed at two women of her pack.

“Paqari, Sonqo, find her. Chaska, Wayta, Kayara, and I will keep walking.”

The two women nodded.

Paqari was tall and lanky with brown eyes and waist-long dark brown hair tied into two braids adorned with white stone beads. She was wearing a dark blue huipil with a pattern of purple squares, a beige skirt and black leather sandals.

Sonqo was short and skinny with hazel green eyes and luscious black hair. She had an axtlacuilli coiffure. She was wearing a green huipil, a light brown skirt, and black leather sandals.

They started to rummage through the vegetation.

“Quilla! Where are you?”

“Come on, runt! We've got no time to waste!”

Yisüi and Jinora were hiding nearby. They were armed with thick branches.

During the month they had to spend in this other world, Azeneth, Yisüi and Jinora didn't remain inactive. Devingshae's world looked a lot like the Vassal Kingdoms, and they were able to communicate with the people here by using the language of the Vassal Kingdoms.

Since they were alone in an unknown world, Azeneth took the time to intensively train her two friends. Yisüi and Jinora had made a lot of progress. While they were still unable to fight head-on a trained opponent, they were able to dispatch a stonger foe by attacking her from behind.

“Sonqo. Do you see her anywhere?”

“No. I think we should warn Illari. Something fishy's going on...” Paqari answered.

Jinora and Yisüi striked at the same time.

Just like Azeneth taught them, they hit a very specific part of the skull at a certain angle.

Sonqo and Paqari grunted and fell face first on the ground. They were down for the count, out cold.

Yisüi felt a surge of confidence and satisfaction. They had won!

She and Jinora didn't waste any time. Each grabbed one village lass by the legs, and they dragged them under the bushes to conceal them.

“What's taking them so long?” Illari barked.

“I'll go check on them.” Kayara said.

Kayara was a portly woman of average height with a round chubby face, small brown eyes, and closely-cropped black hair. She was wearing a reddish brown huipil with a pattern of black diamonds, an orange skirt, and brown thick leather sandals.

She retraced her steps.

The villager didn't know that she was being watched however.

Coulter made a gesture of the hand. A small surge of power, hopefully faint enough to not be noticed by the Mages, hit the villager in the stomach.

The wind knocked out of her, Kayara fell on her knees. She tried to call for help, but could barely gasp.

Coulter walked towards her.

Kayara looked at her in fear. She desperately attempted to scream one last time, but the wind was still knocked out of her.

The redhead punched the villager in the temple, knocking her out in one hit. As all Charioteers, Coulter had trained since she was young to defend herself.

With a grunt, Kayara fell on the ground.

The redhead dragged her by the legs under the cover of some bushes.

“This is getting ridiculous. We should be hunting these shapeshifters, not wait for everyone to find Quilla!” Illari angrily exclaimed.

She looked at her two remaining women, Chaska and Wayta – a black-haired dark-eyed woman with a pointy chin and sunken cheeks wearing a dark brown one-piece ankle-long dress.

“Tell me about it!” Wayta said. “I think we should-” She didn't finish her sentence.

“We should WHAT?” Illari barked. “If you're going to say something, at least finish your sentences.”

She and Chaska turned...

… and gasped.

Wayta wasn't here anymore.

“Oh! I see what's going on!” Chaska exclaimed while drawing her sickle. “I don't know who you are, but I'll skin you alive!”

Illari grabbed her own sickle. She was starting to be a little worried.

She jumped and turned when she heard a noise behind her. The villager looked into the bushes, losing sight of her second-in-command.

“Chaska, come over here.” Illari said.

Nobody answered her.

“Chaska?”

Her second-in-command had disappeared as well.

Illari suddenly realized that she was alone.

“Who's there? Show yourselves!” she shouted.

Illari was scared. She knew she was hunted.

“Come out, you cowards!” she exclaimed. “I'm not afraid of you!” She was trying to hide her fear, but her voice was trembling.

Illari actually dropped her sickle in fear when she heard rustles in the bushes near her. The person hunting her was approaching.

“H... Help!” she called. “HELP! Someone, help me!”

However, nobody answered her call. Was it because she was too far from the others?

Or because something was muffling her cries for help? Magic?

Illari was sweating now.

A woman emerged from the bushes.

Illari yelped.

The woman's face was hideous, a true hag's face with red eyes, a crooked nose, and wrinkles and warts everywhere.

“So, how does it feel to be the prey?” she asked.

The woman's face blurred and became even more hideous.

“My prey.”

This proved to be too much for Illari.

The tough violent villager was, at heart, a coward.

She fainted.

Yuka looked at the unconscious woman. Her face blurred, until she had again her default appearance.

“Uh. Would you look at that. Didn't even need to use the touch like with her second-in-command...” she mumbled to herself. “Should try to scare them more often.”

Still, a part of her was dissatisfied.

“You're getting off lightly.” the shapeshifter commented to the fainted woman.

She grabbed her under the shoulders and dragged her away.

Yuka took the time to use her 'touch' on all the women her friends had knocked out, as they would remain unconscious longer that way.

They chose to strip all the villagers. They didn't need all their clothes, but they thought that these women needed a lesson. Since theu didn't have much time, they asked Coulter to strip most of the villagers with her magic. Azeneth was still considering this technique unfair and obscene, but she reluctantly agreed that it was useful in their current situation. Soon, subjected to Coulter's will, the clothes started to remove themselves and fly off.

Yuka however asked the redhead to not touch Illari. She didn't want this one to have an easy time... The shapeshifter offered to share her with her friends. Azeneth was overjoyed at the idea of giving some well-deserved humiliation to a woman who had been delighted to hunt defenseless teenagers as if they were game. Yisüi helped them too. Jinora waited a little afar. Between the three of them, the stripping was quick. While Azeneth and Yisüi were removing one sandal each, Yuka unknotted the rope that was used as a belt. Then, the three of them grabbed the dress by the bottom, and pulled it off together.

Quilla, Wayta, and Kayara were wearing a similar-looking dirty white sleeveless calf-long underdress.

Sonqo, Paqari, Chaska, and Illari were wearing the same kind of undergarments: a loincloth and a strap of cloth wrapped around the breasts and the back. Sonqo's and Paqari's underwear were reddish brown. Chaska's loincloth and strap of cloth were light grey. Illari's loincloth and strap of cloth were black.

Yuka glared at the stripped unconscious Illari.

She realized that merely humiliating her wasn't enough.

Is she the one who set fire to our house in our world? Is she the one responsible of Hinata's death?

The anger she felt after her friend's death, which she thought was long gone, sneakily came back. Along with an imperious bloodlust.

A part of her was sorely tempted to crush with her heel the neck of this woman who thought she could hunt her kind as if they were game.

Azeneth understood what was going through her friend's head.

“Yu'. This woman's a slut, no questions asked. But she's also unconscious and defenseless.” the metis said. “You said you don't kill unconscious people. We're better than that.”

“She's maybe the one who burnt the house in my world. She's maybe Hinata's killer!”

“She can't be. We're in another potentiality.”

Yuka ignored her retort. She was too angry. “Don't think you can understan-” The shapeshifter interrupted herself just in time.

Of course Azeneth could understand. The Mages fried her father alive. And while she thankfully didn't witness it first-hand, as she was in another room, the metis heard and smelt the entire process.

“Sorry.” Yuka said, lowering her head. Her anger was instantly replaced by shame.

She saw Azeneth make a big effort to brush off the incident, even if it was hard. “I'll choose to remember the fact that you stopped yourself just in time. But never say that I can't understand... that.” she calmly blankly retorted.

“How did you do it? How did you find peace?” Yuka couldn't help but ask.

“I chose to live for myself, not for a revenge.” Azeneth couldn't helpt but briefly glance at Coulter. “I chose to be happy.”

The redhead was watching them in silence.

Yuka smiled at Azeneth with a thankful expression. Then she asked:

“So, what do we use to bind them? We could cut the soldiers's uniforms, but it would take quite some time.”

“We'll use this.” Coulter intervened.

She grabbed a vine and pulled it down.

“I don't think they'll be sturdy enough to properly restrain them...” Azeneth commented.

“Just give me the time to infuse them with magic. It doesn't require much power, so it shouldn't attract the Mages' attention. I can make them as strong as a rope.”

They accepted the redhead's idea.

Azeneth, Jinora and Yisüi brought her as many vines as they could grab.

Coulter manipulated them, winding and unwinding the vines. Her gestures were swift and precise, as if she had an invisible weaving loom. Yuka often forgot that, as a Charioteer, Coulter probably learned to weave as soon as she was old enough to use a loom, and she kept using these skills when working as Eztli's apprentice. Around the mage-woman's hands, the air was blurred, distorted by magic.

Yuka grabbed one infused vine. It was strangely smooth, but as sturdy as the sturdiest rope – perhaps even more. It brought to her mind the strange ropes that had been used to bind the woman they came across during one of their world-jumpings.

They were going to be perfect to hog-tie Illari and her pack...

And indeed, they hog-tied each woman with one coil of magic-infused vines.

To gag them, they used strips of one soldier uniform that Coulter cut while the others were binding the women. Except for Illari...

Indeed, after making sure of tightening Illari's bonds as much as she could, Yuka cut the woman's undergarments, leaving her naked, and gagged her with them.

She then put on Illari's thick black ankle-long one-piece dress with orange threads and a pattern of orange diamonds, with a rope tied aroud the waist as a belt, and thick brown leather sandals.

Azeneth, Jinora, Yisüi, and Coulter all disguised themselves. Azeneth put on Chaska's red ankle-long one-piece dress made to work outside with a pattern of yellow and orange diamonds, and brown thick leather sandals; Yisüi, Sonqo's green huipil, light brown skirt, and black leather sandals; Jinora, Paqari's dark blue huipil with a pattern of purple squares, beige skirt and black leather sandals; and Coulter, Wayta's dark brown one-piece ankle-long dress and sandals.

Each companion was also wearing a stolen red-and-black headband.

“Feeling better?” Azeneth asked Yuka.

“Yes.” the shapeshifter answered. The humiliation she inflicted on Illari, which included wearing the woman's still warm clothes, had lifted her spirit.

Then, the five companions went to look for the three young runaway shapeshifters.

Thanks to their disguise, they managed to cross the forest undisturbed. The few groups they saw from afar didn't have the time to notice Yisüi's blond hair or Coulter's red hair.

As she was hoping, Yuka found them huddled in their secret hut in the middle of the forest.

She approached the hut alone, reasoning that it would probably scare them less.

However, it wasn't enough to reassure them.

Standing in front of Hinata, Tsuki was holding a knife, but she was clearly afraid to use it. Her blind friend was clumsily brandishing her staff. Yuka couldn't see her counterpart anywhere.

“Don't be scared. I won't hurt you.” she said, trying to reassure the two teenagers.

Yuka was about to change shape to show them that she wasn't a villager but a fellow shapeshifter.

Suddenly, she felt someone jumping her from behind. A hand grabbed her neck and glowed.

Nothing happened.

Shapeshifters were immune to the 'touch' of their kind.

Yuka's younger counterpart, who had tried to knock her out to protect her friends, let go of her.

She was opening big round eyes.

“You are...”

“... a shapeshifter, yes. I'm here to help you. Now follow me. With my friends, we will help you leave this forest.”

Her younger counterpart looked at her with suspicion and protectively moved in front of Tsuki and Hinata.

“I don't trust you!” she said.

Yuka grabbed her by the collar.

“Listen to me, you stubborn little twat! No shapeshifter would help the Mages. I'm on your side. And if I have to grab you by the scruff of the neck and drag you behind, I will do it!”

Young-Yuka bit her lip.

“Yu'... I think we should follow her...” Tsuki timidly intervened.

Yuka's counterpart looked at her friend. Just like Main-Yuka, she couldn't resist Tsuki's pleading eyes.

“Where will we go?” she asked warily.

“To another community of shapeshifters. One that will be able to hide you.”

Young-Yuka bit her lower lip and glared at her, but then she nodded.

Suddenly, Azeneth approached them.

“Yu'. We have a problem.” she intervened.

The women were forest wardens, a profession that had been introduced in the Empire after the conquest of the Vassal Kingdoms. The Mages noticed that the kingdoms were employing trackers to patrol their forests, and thought that the idea was great.

The forest wardens were wearing dark green hooded cloaks over matching dark green tunics, and dark green trousers to help them blend in the vegetation. They were walking in brown leather boots. A belt was tied around their waist and a dark green headband was tied around their forehead. Daggers and a hunting horn were strapped on the belt and they were carrying bows and a quiver of arrows. Their style of clothing was a copy of the one used in the kingdoms.

Currently, they were following the trail of the fugitives.

“These people aren't mere villagers.” Yuka whispered to her friends while watching the green-clothed women from afar. “They know how to fight, and how to follow a trail.”

“Then it's settled. Let's make sure they won't bother us for the next couple of hours.” Azeneth said while cracking her knuckles.

“We will have to neutralize the three of them at the same time. Or else they'll sound the alarm with their hunting horns.” Yuka said.

“I can help you!” Yisüi intervened.

Azeneth shook her head. “Not this time. You've made a lot of progress, but you're not ready to fight head-on this kind of opponents yet.”

Yuka hesitated to ask her younger counterpart for help, but she realized that it was probably a bad idea. The latter was still a teenager who didn't go through all of Main-Yuka's adventures. Tsuki and Hinata wouldn't be able to help either.

Jinora was nervously rubbing her hands. Just like Yisüi, she wasn't suited for a direct confrontation against trained forest wardens.

The shapeshifter sighed. There was only one logical choice.

“Coulter. Can you help us with your magic?”

The redhead groaned.

“Please.” the shapeshifter insisted.

“Ugh! Fine. Let me try something.”

Coulter grabbed three coils of magic-infused vines that she had brought with her after their assault on Illari's group. She briefly carressed them while murmuring a spell. After she was done, the vine were now looking slightly shiny.

“They should be as sticky as my ribbons now...” Coulter explained.

“Perfect!”

Bianka was from the kingdom of Danann, therefore she didn't have the typical physical appearance of a subject of the Empire. She had soft auburn hair, round-shaped blue-green eyes and a round face. She was slightly taller than the average southerner. While her skin was tanned, one could easily deduce that it used to be light before, and became tanned due to her long stay in Pakal. She was fit and athletic-looking, with small breasts and thick legs. Her shoulder-long hair were tied into a ponytail, a hairstyle that was a lot more popular in the Vassal Kingdoms than in Pakal.

Bianka had been hired by the Mages as an instructor to train new forest wardens.

Her two companions, on the other hand, were the typical subjects of the Empire. Their skin was copper-coloured. Their collarbone-long hair were black and coarse, as well as braided, as Pakal women favored braids over ponytails. Green stone beads were adorning their braids. Their eyes were dark brown and almond-shaped. Their heads were oval-shaped. They were of average size, but had the same fit body as Bianka. Xi-Yara and Xi-Miol were twin sisters. The only difference between them was that Yara had one braid and Miol had two. They chose to become forest wardens to escape the condition of peasants, and were therefore diligent and competent.

“The trail is hot.” Bianka said while inspecting the ground. “They passed here recently.”

“Why do we have to take part in this hunt?” Miol commented.

“We're supposed to be above that.” her twin sister added.

“Besides, they're not even adults.” Miol concluded.

“We have received orders from the Mage overseeing this land.” Bianka reminded them. “Ce-Acatl wants the shapeshifters captured and brought to him. Therefore, it's best that we capture them before the villagers can get their hands on them.”

There was a rustle in the bushes nearby.

Bianka got up and raised her head.

“Did you hear something?”

Then, suddenly, it was as if the forest came to life.

Three vines sprang from the bushes and flew towards Bianka. The forest warden was taken by surprise. She tried to shout in surprise, but one vine wrapped itself around her mouth and lower-face, gagging her. A second vine wrapped itself around her legs, and a third pinned her arms to her torso.

“Mph?! Wmht?!”

Miol and Yara looked at her with dumbfounded expressions.

Unbalanced, Bianka fell on the ground and started to wriggle. However, she soon found that the vines were as strong as ropes and as sticky as glue.

“Witchcraft!” the twins exclaimed together.

Coulter had targeted the leader of the trio, knowing that the other two would be briefly disoriented.

Yuka took advantage of the confusion.

She jumped out of her hideout in the bushes and ran towards Miol. She tackled her from her blind spot, and grabbed the forest warden's neck and mouth with her two glowing hands. Miol whimpered faintly. Her eyes widened briefly, then closed. Her entire body relaxed and slumped into Yuka's arms.

The last remaining forest warden, Yara, reflexively grabbed her hunting horn and got ready to blow in it.

Azeneth threw one of her knives. The projetile hit the horn. While it didn't hurt the forest warden herself, the impact made her drop the horn.

The metis charged and kneed Yara in the stomach. Then, she took advantage of the fact that the woman was bending forward to knock her out with a swift neckchop.

Still immobilized by the vines, Bianka looked at them with big round eyes.

“Don't knock her out yet, Az'.” the shapeshifter told her friend. “I want to ask her a few questions.”

They dragged the three forest wardens inside the secret hut.

Young-Yuka and Tsuki were looking at her with dumbfounded expressions.

Yuka decided that the three young shapeshifters would put on the forest warden's clothes.

“But they're too big!” Young-Yuka objected.

“Then change shape.”

“The elders said we're not allowed to use our powers against humans.” her younger counterpart retorted.

“Then roll up the sleeves and legs!” Yuka exclaimed, losing her patience.

She didn't remember being such a thickheaded twat when she was younger.

The teenager didn't find a retort this time.

The unconscious twin sisters were therefore immediately stripped of all their outer clothes and socks, leaving them only clad in light green sleeveless undertunics and matching knee-long underpants.

In the women's gear, they found a few ropes, and therefore put them to good use to tie Miol and Yara up. The twin sisters were bound back to back, with a rope wrapped around both their waists and torsos. Each sister's wrists were tied in front of the other's stomach. They were gagged with strips of the clothes that Tsuki and Hinata used to be wearing, as they were putting on the forest wardens' green clothes. Young-Yuka was helping Hinata.

At the same time, Main-Yuka towered over Bianka. She asked Coulter to remove the vine gagging the auburn-haired forest warden.

“Now, let me explain how things are going to happen.” the shapeshifter said. “I want answers and I want your clothes. Your cooperation during the former will determine if I'll be gentle or not while doing the latter.”

Bianka took a deep breath and briefly glanced at her two companions. She was worried for them more than for her.

Yuka noticed her reaction and improvised a lie. “And we will also torture your friends.”

“But we wouldn't-” Yisüi reflexively started to say.

Azeneth discreetly and lightly elbowed her.

“I mean, of course we would!” the blonde hurriedly exclaimed. “My people have devised tortures so painful that I can't even describe them! Torture that are very... very... uhm... torturous!”

Yuka found that she was a bad liar, but apparently Bianka decided that she wasn't going to take any risk.

“What do you want to know?” she asked.

“Just a confirmation. You were talking about a Mage that gave the order to capture the shapeshifters.”

“Ce-Acatl, yes. He wanted them to be brought to him. His emissaries stirred up the villagers to force the shapeshifters to flee, and sent us forest wardens to capture them.”

“Why did he do that?”

“He thinks that shapeshifters' powers might be a valuable asset to add to the Mages' arsenal of powers.”

“So, it means that he intends to either experiment on them or mate with them. Probably both.” Coulter intervened.

Yuka felt another surge of anger. “That man is obscene.”

“I've told you.” the redhead said. “He dreams of creating his own dynasty of mage-emperors. A dynasty whose powers would approach the ones of the ancient gods. He wants to leave his mark on the history of the Empire, and he will do anything for that.”

And we can also assume that he gave the same orders in our world, albeit a few years later. Yuka thought to herself. It means he's responsible of Hinata's death.

She reminded herself to make sure to not bother Coulter the next time she'd try to fry alive the leader of the Sun Mages.

Bianka was keeping her head low, though Yuka couldn't tell if it was out of fear or out of shame. Probably both. She wasn't stupid, and had clearly realized that her captors were revulsed by the actions of Ce-Acatl.

Still, the forest warden had upheld her part of the bargain.

“The gentle way it is then.” Yuka decided.

Bianka didn't try to fight back when they removed the vines the time to take off her clothes. She was alone against five adults anyway...

Just like Miol and Yara, she was left wearing only a sleeveless light green undertunic and matching underpants.

Coulter then wrapped once more her vines around Bianka's upper-arms and legs. Then, Yuka used a plain old rope to bind the woman's wrists behind her back. Azeneth shoved a piece of cloth into the forest warden's mouth and the third vine was once again wrapped around her lower face, preventing her from spitting the stuff-gag.

Yuka gave her younger counterpart Bianka's clothes. Young-Yuka put them on in silence, accepting the authority of the older shapeshifter even though it was hard for her.

They left the three forest wardens hidden inside the hut.

Once again, their disguises proved to be useful to avoid the attention of the remaining villagers. Apparently, nobody had managed yet to find Illari and her pack hidden in the woods.

Yuka's younger counterpart and her two friends were following Main-Yuka and her friends. Young-Yuka and Tsuki were helping Hinata orientating herself.

Yuka couldn't help but feel nostalgic when seeing them together...

After a while, the little group of fugitives was now near the edge of the forest.

However, they noticed that three black-haired villagers armed with sickles were patrolling nearby. They were wearing huipils and ankle-long skirts, as well as thick brown leather sandals designed to work outside.

“We can't risk having these three notice us...” Yuka commented.

“Don't worry. I have an idea.” Azeneth answered.

“What?”

The metis walked in plain sight and approached the small group of villagers.

“Good day, friends!” she commented with a bright smile.

Since she was wearing the clothes of a Pakal villager, had a tanned skin and dark hair, as well as a friendly confident attitude, the village lasses didn't suspect the metis in time. A big mistake.

Azeneth's friends turned their eyes to not witness the ensuing beating.

Unconscious, the three villagers were lying on the ground, moaning and groaning.

Azeneth took a knee next to one of them.

“We don't really have the time to take their clothes.” Coulter commented.

“We don't need to.” Azeneth said. “We just need these.”

She took off the woman's thick brown leather sandals. Then, she did the same with the other two women, removing their sandals. The three lasses were left barefoot.

“That way, even if they free themselves, they'll have a hard time running after us.” the metis exclaimed.

Coulter rolled her eyes.

She grabbed a few vines.

They hog-tied the three women, and cut a few strips of the villagers' skirts to use them as cleave-gags. They left the village lasses hidden in some bushes.

“Now, we can leave the forest.” Azeneth said with a big smile, taking the sandals with her.

Their small group of fugitives managed to leave the forest without coming across anyone else. They were now walking in the nearby plains.

However, they realized that even now they weren't safe.

“We're too exposed here.” Yuka commented. “We need to move faster.”

“There's a trade route nearby.” her younger counterpart intervened. “We can try to stop a merchant's cart.”

Azeneth smiled. “Good idea!”

The teenager didn't hide her satisfaction when she took the lead.

They followed Young-Yuka, who led them to the trade route, and they waited hidden in a small hollow.

Azeneth, Jinora, Coulter, and Yisüi were watching the road. Yuka was waiting with the three teenaged shapeshifters.

“Is this road a busy one?” she asked her younger counterpart.

“Of course. You think I'm an idiot?” the other retorted.

Young-Yuka noticed Tsuki's and Hinata's expression of disaproval, and stopped being insolent. She scratched the back of her head awkwardly, and tried to make an opening.

“I think we should start again from scratch, and forget the bad first impression of our initial meeting. Can you tell us your name? You're our saviour, and we don't even know it...”

“I'm Yu-” Yuka interrupted herself. “- Alessia.”

“Yu-Alessia? That's one weird name.” Young-Yuka commented.

“I come from across the ocean.”

“Oh!” the three teenaged girls said.

“How is it?” Tsuki then added.

Crap!

Still, Yuka had read about it, and had heard Azeneth talk about her home kingdom.

She improvised a lie to her captivated audience.

Inwardly, she was glad to have been able to have them open up to her.

At the same time, a part of her was slightly worried. She had to remind herself that these weren't her friends, and she wasn't in her world.

Hinata, especially, was intensely listening to her.

They had to wait quite some time, but ultimately their patience was rewarded.

Two wagons were following each other. It was a small Charioteer wagon train. There seemed to be only women in them.

Yuka knew that some Charioteer clans had a strict gender separation. Women and men were travelling most of the time in separate wagons, only being together during certain parts of the year.

“I think I have found the solution to our problem.” the shapeshifter commented.

Coulter glared daggers at her.

“Don't you dare even think of it!” she exclaimed.

“We need a guise to travel incognito...” Yuka justified herself.

The redhead blocked their path. She was furious.

No. Please, not now. Not when I was finally beginning to reach out to her... Yuka thought to herself.

“My people have enough problems as it is!” Coulter shouted. “They don't need to be stripped and left on the side of the road to give you a quick cheap disguise!”

“But Coulter-”

“Do you know what the hicks from the rural communities sometimes do to a defenseless Charioteer woman when they manage to grab her?!” Coulter harshly asked. “If you touch these women, or any of their clothes, I will waste you!” she warned them.

“We wouldn't leave them on the side of the road! We'd leave them in the back of the wagon!” Azeneth said.

“Az', you're not helping our case.” Jinora intervened.

Coulter menacingly took a step forward. “I dare you to try.” The air was blurring around her. The blur of magic.

“Let's forget about that idea!” Yuka intervened to defuse the situation. “I talked without thinking first, it was a bad idea. But I'm sure that we can still use the situation to our advantage. Coulter, can you negociate with them the right to travel with their wagon train?”

The redhead scoffed, but calmed herself. She nodded in silence, walked in the middle of the road, and waved at the wagon train.

“It feels a little weird... to ask women for help instead of... you know...” Azeneth confessed while Coulter was conversing with her people.

“We have finally managed to reach out to Coulter, if only a little.” Yuka objected. “I don't want to spoil everything now.”

“Besides, when the men are away, Charioteer women are always the ones who travel with the children. Are you gonna mug them too?” Jinora intervened.

“What?! Of course not!” Azeneth exclaimed. “Besides, children love me. You'll see!”

Azeneth spent the entire journey in the wagon train sulking in a corner. In spite of her best efforts to show off, the children of the wagon train only had eyes for Yisüi. No matter where the blonde was sitting in the wagons, there was a swarm of red-haired bronzed-skinned amber-eyed children surrounding her. They were fascinated by her blond hair that were so light that they almost looked white and by her faded blue eyes. While Charioteers were nomadic, this specific wagon train never went to Gengis. Therefore, much like almost all the subjects of the Empire, these people had never seen a 'White-Haired' person from the Far North. Actually, the challenge among the young kids seemed to be to try to find excuses to touch Yisüi's hair.

Jinora spent the entire journey lightly teasing Azeneth.

Young-Yuka, from her part, was casting mean glares to any teenage boy who was looking at her or at her two friends.

Coulter was the one who seemed the most content with their current predicament. She was constantly chatting with the leaders of the wagon train in their language. She apparently even received a set of Charioteer clothes as a gift.

Yuka was sitting at the back of the second wagon. The Charioteer women had agreed to transport them, but outside of Coulter they weren't speaking with anyone.

She heard her younger counterpart chase away a boy who was walking too close to Tsuki.

Was I really that possessive? Yuka asked herself.

She heard a noise.

Hinata sat next to Yuka.

The adult shapeshifter was feeling a little awkward. Sitting next to a younger version of her late friend was a strange and difficult experience. She didn't know what to say to break the silence.

Ultimately though, Hinata made the first step.

“Why do you want to hide the truth?” the blind girl finally asked her.

Yuka paled a little. “What do you mean?”

“Tsu' and Yu' haven't recognized you. Sometimes, the people who are still able to see are also blind to the most obvious things.”

“How did you-”

Hinata interrupted her: “With your voice. Your way of telling stories. Your smell too.” She was smiling.

Yuka rolled her eyes. “Nice... Talking about my smell just like that...” she joked.

Hinata giggled. “Also with your comebacks.”

Yuka giggled with her a little, but then stopped herself. She didn't know what to say, how to explain it. “I...”

“Don't worry. I won't tell them if you don't want me to.” Hinata reassured her. “I'll keep your secret.”

Yuka sighed in relief. “Thanks.”

Hinata turned her head in her direction. Her blind eyes were pointed directly at her. “Are you some kind of guardian?” she asked. “I don't think this is a mere coincidence that you appeared just when we needed help.”

“Maybe I am a guardian, in a way.” Yuka commented. “Maybe I am here to make sure that things will turn out fine for you...”

Not like in my world.

Could it be that Tsuki had planned this? If it was the case, Yuka was starting to understand what her plan was. And she didn't like that...

However, she refused to leave before the three teenagers were in a safe place.

Yuka's goal was to escort the three young shapeshifters to the nearest secret settlement of shapeshifters. They'd have to follow the trade route for a while, then to cross some hills.

The journey in the wagon train was calm and uneventful. Yuka and her friends paid the women with the money they stole in the gears of Illari's pack and Bianka's team.

They were now nearing their destination...

It was the early morning.

Yuka's younger counterpart, Tsuki and Hinata were still sleeping huddled together in the back of a wagon. Young-Yuka was holding her two friends against her.

Yuka sighed. Seeing them was bringing back so many memories...

“You sure were protective of them.” Azeneth commented while looking at the teenagers. “Possessive even.” She was sitting right to Yuka. Jinora and Yisüi were still sleeping next to her.

“We didn't have many adults around her while growing up.” Yuka explained. “The other members of our clan often had to be away for long periods of time. Since Hinata was blind and Tsuki lacked confidence, I thought that I was the most suited to take care of everything.”

Yuka shook her head, then added:

“I'll probably have to have a talk with myself.”

“You mean, before we leave this potentiality, right?” Azeneth commented.

Yuka kept silent. She was gazing at the younger counterparts of her friends.

“You do realize this is the exact reason why Tsuki hijacked the artifact to send us here, right?” Azeneth commented.

“Yes, I do.” Yuka blankly said.

But even knowing it, it was hard to not be tempted to live in a world where Hinata was alive and Tsuki was sane...

“Just remember that we too are here for you.” Azeneth said. “And we'll always be.”

“Az'. I consider you, Yisüi, and Jinora my friends. I...”

She wanted to say 'I will not fail you.', but when her eyes fell on Hinata and Tsuki, the words remaing blocked inside her throat.

“I will try.” she said instead.

They were interrupted in their conversation by Coulter.

“The leaders of the wagon train say that there's a patrol of soldiers coming our way. They can't transport us any further. They ask us to leave.”

“But can't they hide-”

“Charioteers helping fugitives are harshly punished.” Coulter interrupted her. “If they are caught red-handed, all the members of the wagon train will be enslaved at best, and executed at worst. Children included. We can't ask them to take such a risk. They have to take care of their own families first and foremost.”

Yuka nodded. “You're right. Tell them that we are grateful for what they did for us. We will find a way to avoid the soldiers.”

“Or not.” Azeneth added with a wink. “After all, it's a good thing to go back to the classics. It's been a long time since we tussled with classic Pakal soldiers after all...” she joked.

Coulter groaned in annoyance.

“I'll ask them if we can buy a few coils of ropes...” she commented.

“Add a bottle of sleeping potion to the list!” Azeneth said in a sing-song voice.

The soldiers were twelve. Twelve women from the nearby garrison on a routine patrol.

While the Empire didn't believe in gender-equality, women were still numerous in the army. They were often soldiers in the inner-forces, the ones tasked with watching the inside of the Empire, the old provinces that were more or less secure save for the occasional bandits. On the other hand, the men were usually garrisoned in the more rebellious vassal regions where the peasants were more prone to revolt, on the borders, on the shores facing Ghazan, or were part of the armies sent to invade other countries.

The soldiers were wearing the same uniform, as well as the same gear. They were clad in red knee-long ample tunics, and thick black leather sandals. A red headband was tied around their forehead. A leather belt was wrapped around their waist. Leather protections were wrapped around their arms, calves, and thighs. They were each armed with one round shield, a spear with a blade made of obsidian, and a wooden macuahuitl with obsidian blades which was tied onto their belts.

The officer commanding them was wearing the same clothes, save for the headband which was adorned with black obsidian stones.

The soldiers all had the same-looking copper-coloured skin, fit athletic-looking body with thick arms and legs, dark almond-shaped eyes, and short black hair that were either closely-cropped or shoulder-long and braided.

They maybe had their own distinct personalities and dreams in private, but from an outsider's perspective, they were as boring and as generic-looking as a guard could be.

Besides, Yuka and her team didn't want to get to know them. No, they wanted something else from these soldiers...

“They're within reach.” Azeneth whispered.

Yuka and her friends were hidden in a hollow near the road.

Coulter grunted in annoyance.

“Stop complaining and get to work.”

The mage-woman moved her hands and whispered a spell.

The patrolling soldiers let out a collective exclamation of surprise and shock when they saw several ropes spring from the hollow and fly on their own.

Their exclamation quickly became one of fear and horror when the ropes attacked them.

The soldiers were fighters, but they were trained to find mundane human enemies. The ropes were way too small to be pierced with a spear, and way too fast to be cut with a macuahitl. Besides, they were infused with magic, and as sticky as the strongest glue.

Several soldiers were immobilized before they could even react, falling on the ground with ropes wrapped around their arms and legs. They others tried to avoid them.

Yuka and Azeneth took advantage of the situation to attack the soldiers by surprise.

The officer was trying to organize her troops.

“Gather round, soldiers! Gather round me! In defensive formation!” she shouted while brandishing her macuahitl.

Then she saw Azeneth, and she understood everything.

“Why you- Maggot!”

She striked with her macuahitl, a circular strike meant to decapitate her foe.

Azeneth nimbly ducked down, then took advantage of the opening to punch her opponent in the stomach.

The wind knocked out of her, the officer bent over and put a knee on the ground. She gasped for air.

With a scream of rage, one of her soldiers attacked Azeneth with her spear. Her powerful strike, aiming for the chest.

The metis dodged by moving to the side, grabbed the handle of the spear, and pulled on it to pull the soldier closer. Then, she tripped the woman up. Unbalanced, the soldier fell forward.

Azeneth finished off the knelt officer with one punch to the temple that knocked her out cold instantly. Then did the same with the soldier who was trying to get up.

Near her, another soldier fell after her limbs were wrapped with ropes.

At the same time, Yuka grabbed the necks of two soldiers who were trying to flank Azeneth. Her hands glowed. The women moaned and had a few spasms, then they fell face forward on the ground with their bums up in the air.

Azeneth knocked out another foolish soldier who naively thought she could fight her head-on, Yuka used her touch on another soldier and, suddenly, it was over.

All the soldiers who weren't knocked out were immobilized by ropes.

“Already finished?” Azeneth commented. She chuckled. “You know what, forget what I said earlier about magic. I think I could really get used to that.” the metis added while looking at the soldiers immobilized with ropes who were wriggling on the ground while shouting curses.

“We could have simply eluded them.” Coulter remarked.

“Better be safe than sorry.” Azeneth said. “Besides, when in doubt, it's best to wear the uniform of an authority figure.”

Between the eight of them (technically seven since Coulter didn't do anything), the defeated knocked out or trussed up soldiers were all quickly put to sleep by a rag soaked with the sleeping potion they bought.

The soldiers were then dragged into the hollow, in order to conceal them.

Once they were out of sight, the fugitives all went to work.

They stripped eight soldiers of their clothes to disguise themselves, and the last remaining four to have extra makeshift bonds and gags. (They of course had to untie beforehand the ones that were trussed up with ropes.) Sandals were unlaced, belts were unclipped, headbands were untied. Leather protections were removed. Tunics were pulled over.

The twelve soldiers were wearing similar-looking underwear: Each was clad in a loincloth and a strap of cloth was wrapped around the breasts and the back. Some of them had black underclothes, others had brownish red ones, and others had orange ones.

Only the officer was wearing different undergarments: a scarlet red short-sleeved undershirt with golden threads and matching thigh-long underpants.

Once all the women were down to their undergarments, the fugitives took the time to truss them up with ropes. They bound the ankles, calves, thighs, shoulders, and wrists. They blindfolded and gagged each woman with strips of the spare uniforms they had stolen.

Once the defeated patrol was neutralized, the fugitives all slipped into a soldier uniform. Yuka put on the officer's headband.

“Perfect. Now, let's cross the hills.” she said.

She and Azeneth noticed that Yuka's younger counterpart was watching them in awe.

“That was... That was so impressive!” she exclaimed. She then realized that she had complimented them, and became red because of her embarassment. “I- I mean...”

Azeneth laughed. “Well, I think that kid's okay after all!”

“Kid?! I'm not a kid, old woman!” the teenager retorted.

“Old wom-”

“Az'! Keep calm!” Jinora intervened.

The metis cringed.

They left the soldiers concealed in the hollow.
rufusluciusivan

Be careful! I had to separate the post into two parts due to its legth; therefore make sure to read the previous post before this one.

Their trip across the hills proved to be uneventful. Well, outside of the bickerings between Azeneth and Yuka's younger counterpart. And even then, after a while, these became slightly more playful than hostile. Slightly.

Yuka spent as much time as she could with Tsuki and Hinata. The blind girl was often attentive to what she was doing, but she kept her promise and didn't reveal her secret.

Yuka herself was realizing that, the more time she was spending with them, the more she was getting attached to the teenagers.

It was a problem. Yuka hadn't forgotten her conversation with Azeneth.

Jinora and Yisüi were often walking together.

Coulter was usually walking on her own. Yuka could see her battling with the artifact allowing them to jump worlds, trying to impose her will to the sphere.

She knew that the end of their small quest was near. She had wanted to rescue her younger counterpart and her friends, probably as some sort of redemption to atone for her past failings, but she was about to succeed.

And, paradoxically, it was what scared her the most.

Once they were near the settlement, Yuka made them stop.

“There. You will reach them after the next hill.” Yuka instructed her younger counterpart.

“You won't continue with us?” the latter asked.

Yuka shook her head. “Seeing humans like Jinora and Azeneth would only needlessly worry them. It's best that we part ways now.”

Before it becomes impossible for me to do it. Yuka thought to herself.

“You will have to tale over from here.” she added.

Her younger counterpart clearly held back some tears, but nodded with determination and, perhaps for the first time, with respect.

“Now that they are safe, can we try to leave this potentiality?” Coulter intervened.

Yuka hesitated. She was feeling Azeneth's gaze on her. “Just give me a few minutes.” she asked.

“Fine. I'll try to see if I can take control of the artifact again in the meantime. Don't waste too much time.” Coulter said.

Yuka approached her younger counterpart. “Can I have a word with you?”

The girl nodded.

They walked a little afar from the others.

Young-Yuka looked at her feet. She was looking embarassed. “I apologize for having tried to kick you when we first met.” she finally said. “Thank you for saving us, my friends and I, miss.”

Yuka looked at her younger counterpart. “You're very possessive of your friends.”

The teenager avoided her eyes. “I just want to protect them.”

“I know. But you shouldn't overprotect them either. They are stronger than you think.”

Her younger self looked at her. “How do you know?”

Yuka put a hand on her shoulder. “I used to be like you, with my friends. I overprotected them because I was the most assertive. I thought that I was the strongest, that I could do everything. But I didn't realize that my actions was affecting them negatively. My best friend...” Yuka hesitated. “My best friend looked up to me too much, to the point that she was trusting me blindly even when I was making bad decisions. And one day, I made a terrible mistake... But my friend didn't realize it. Because all her life I had given her the false impression that I knew everything better than her, that I couldn't be wrong. And ultimately, she's the one who paid the price for my mistake.”

Young-Yuka stared at her.

“Don't smother them with your good intentions.” Yuka concluded. “Give them more space. Allow them to be more independent.”

Her younger counterpart remained silent for a moment. Then, she nodded with determination. “I will.” she said. “Thank you.”

“You're welcome. I wish someone was here to say the same things to me when I was your age.”

Yuka smiled when the teenager walked away.

I can at least make sure that things turn out fine in this potentiality...

Suddenly, she heard a whisper nearby.

“You could stay here, you know?”

No, it wasn't nearby. It was in her head. Was it Tsuki's voice, talking to her from the realms of dreams? Or was it her own subconscious?

The time seemed to stop. It was as if everyone was frozen.

Yuka could almost see a blurry translucent figure in the corner of her eyes. Though she couldn't tell if it was her imagination, or Tsuki appearing to her through the realms of dreams.

“You could stay here with them. You could help your counterpart avoid the mistakes you did. You could see Hinata grow up into a fine woman.”

Azeneth. Jinora. Yisüi. Rashid. Even Coulter. I can't abandon them. They're my friends. Yuka retorted to herself.

Tsuki's whisper scoffed. “Your human friends.” she said with scorn.

Go away. I know what your plan is. It won't work.

“So. You're truly leaving.”

Yuka shook her head. While she was distracted, Hinata and Tsuki had approached her.

She nodded with a sad smile.

“Yes. After just one last thing.”

Yuka bent over, held the younger versions of Tsuki and Hinata close, and embraced them. She hugged them wholeheartedly. She hugged them as it was the last time she'd see them.

Because she knew that she'd never see them again, not even in her world.

“I'm sorry.” she said to them. “Both of you deserved better. I wish things turned out differently.”

Hinata remained silent. She was understanding the meaning of her words.

Tsuki frowned. “What?” she asked.

Yuka shook her head. She couldn't tell her the truth. She looked into Tsuki's sky blue eyes and put a hand on her shoulder.

“Forget what I said. Be happy. I'm glad to have been able to see you.” She put another hand on Hinata's shoulder. “I'm sure that you two will grow up to become fine women, and proud shapeshifters.”

Yuka turned away to leave.

“Farewell.”

“Miss?” Tsuki called her.

However, Yuka didn't turn back. She didn't even answer.

She knew that if she did, she wouldn't be able to leave...

Yuka realized that this was probably the hardest decision of her life. She realized how devious Tsuki's plan was.

She tried to hold back her tears and walked away.

Azeneth, Yisüi, and Jinora surrounded her.

“Yu'?” the metis asked with a worried expression.

“Please help me.” Yuka begged them. Tears were now rolling down her cheeks. “Don't let me falter now. If I do, there will be no turning back for me.”

Her three friends held her and supported her.

“Coulter. Yuka needs to leave NOW. Can you use this accursed sphere?” Azeneth asked.

“I think, yes. But I can't guarantee that...” Coulter briefly glanced at the three teenage shapeshifters, especially Tsuki's counterpart. “... that you-know-who won't try to hijack the artifact once we're back in the void between the worlds again.”

“Coulter, please, make us leave. I don't care where or when. Just make us leave.” Yuka said. “I refuse to live in the past, no matter how perfect it is. I have to attend to the future. And the future, it's you all, and Rashid.”

Azeneth, Jinora, and Yisüi smiled, and embraced her tighter.

The redhead nodded.

She brandished the baton.

“Good bye!” Yuka's younger counterpart shouted, waving at them.

“We'll never forget you!” Tsuki added.

“Good luck!” Hinata concluded.

Yisüi, Jinora, and Azeneth waved back at them.

Yuka also waved back at them and smiled, though she was still crying.

A part of her was being destroyed by grief and regret.

But another was overjoyed at the idea of having been able to help these alternate versions of herself and of her clan sisters.

Yuka realized that she was starting to make peace with herself. She felt lighter, as if a burden had been removed from her soul.

Then, there was a flash of light.

Yuka, Azeneth, Jinora, Yisüi and Coulter disappeared.

Quick author's note here: I wanted to make you a little gift to celebrate the 100th post of this story, but completely forgot, so I'm doing it here. You remember maybe that I said that I took some inspiration from a pen and paper tabletop game to imagine Pakal. Well, there's also a character who was directly inspired by the tabletop game. I rarely do it because I rarely have such a clear reference when imagining a main character, but for once I can show you a picture of a main character, since physically Azeneth is the carbon copy of a NPC of the tabletop game. (The only exception being the eye colour.) Fun fact, she's actually a proposed antagonist for the GM in the tabletop game, so as you can guess she doesn't have the same personality.

Trackman281

Post by Trackman281 »

Wasn't expecting the next chapter so soon, but after leaving me on that cliff hanger of an ending to your last chapter, I'm incredibly pleased that the next part is here already. Onward. 8-)

That was a beautiful opening, it started off quite joyful and funny, but then quickly turned into an emotional gut punch, I fully understand Yuka's plight, I get it. The idea that even though it may not be real, even though it won't change anything what happens to you in your own timeline, there's this itch......A scratch........A feeling.........This restless void that chews away your very being, it's both a blessing and a curse............So YES I fully understand and support Yuka's decision, she won't fail Tsuki and Hinata again, I know she won't. :D ............Powerful opening.

I must admit a smile spread across my face when Coulter agreed to help them, I can assure you, I will take sheer joy and absolute delight in watching this group get taught a lesson, what ever our band of friends do to these Lynch mob women, will be completely justified and I will support it all. :D 8-)

Good job for Azeneth being the first to strike, excellent one down........The pack hunts. :D 8-)

I must admit it's starting to turn into a predator type scenario, slowly getting picked off one by one, it's absolutely pure genius, I wonder if fear will eventually set in after a few more of them disappear, you've got the adrenaline going now, let's kick this up a notch. :D

Yisüi and Jinora's scene was really good, you can't beat a good old fashioned tag team whack of the head knock out, then the sudden disappearance of Sonqo and Paqari as they went into the bushes was really good. Very nice. :D

Good on Coulter, I know it's only temporary as she wants to get a little bit of payback on these Lynch mobs herself, but it was pretty cool seeing her getting in on the action, this was very good............The fire burns and the real pack closes in........I can't wait to see Illari's reaction. :D

Mmmm, that last scene was definitely worth it, I think she got what she deserved, it was really neat watching Chaska and Wayta getting dragged off-screen leaving Illari alone, the way Yuka knocked her out as well, by literally frightening her into unconsciousness was fantastic.........Between you and me........Kuebiko would have been proud of that scene. :D 8-)

Heck yeah, group strip down of Illari, as I said earlier, I fully support any punishment they give to her, I'm in. :D

Powerful scene there between Yuka and Azeneth, we've seen these two women go through so much already, they'll both always have my full support. I liked the fact that Yuka genuinely asked Azeneth for guidance in dealing with such strong and overwhelming emotions, I know Azeneth still has those moments every now and then, but it is nice to see that she is getting better, I just hope that maybe one day, she'll be able to show Yuka that there is still so more to come in her life, Yuka will find peace, I'm sure of it. :D

Showing off Young Yuka's ability to always protect her friends really shows that even from early young childish years, she's always been someone that puts her friends well being before her own, it truly is a nice thing and Yuka herself is such a great character, her world can be so cruel, but she never seems to let the light in her heart die. Yes it flickers at time to time when pure emotion takes over, but she always breaks free and returns to her good self before she's able to give in to those emotions.......Yuka truly TRULY is a remarkable character and I have the up-most respect for her, I really do. :D

Coulter's sticky ribbons have returned have they, be right back, just need to read on a little further as I can't wait to see what happens next 8-) ...........

.................Amazing takedown on the twins and Bianka, that was a great scene to witness. :D

I liked the way Miol and Yara were bound and gagged like that, very nice indeed. 8-)

Haha, I liked watching Yisüi try and lie to make her sound so wicked and evil, it was pretty funny. :lol: And just like Bianka kept her word in truth Yuka kept hers, a nice gentle stripping for Bianka it was. :D

Always nice to see Azeneth giving a good old beat down, fair enough they didn't the three villagers clothes, but it was just cool to see Azeneth giving a good arse kicking. :D

I think personally Yuka should just enjoy the experience, okay fair enough as we know they may not even be real and they are not her real friends, but honestly I think Yuka deserves this moment, this moment of where she can pretend that they are friends once more, I hope she's able to embrace it just once. I do think she needs it. :D

I must admit I was happy that Yuka was able to calm Coulter down and they instead asked the women on the wagon's for a simple journey rather than mug them for their clothes, it certainly was a unique situation, plus Yuka's right, Coulter is finally opening up a bit more as time goes by, let's not spoil it now. :D

Quick side note before I continue. That's one of the many reasons that truly make your stories stand out, you have this unique of always somehow developing new scenes that just seem to work, your characters always shine through, it never feels forced, as a matter of fact, it actually feels a lot more genuine. It really is a pleasant and refreshing thing when I read one these scenes, something that only you could conjure up, it's great. :D

That was quite a nice scene too, watching all the characters interact with the different people on the wagon journey, plus it was nice to see Coulter relax for a minute and actually some what feel happy, yeah I really liked this scene. :D

I was incredibly happy with that scene with Yuka and Hinata, it was a nice scene and I'm happy that even if it was just for a moment, Hinata and Yuka could just talk and smile, plus I liked the Hinata immediately knew that she was talking to grown up - Yuka. That was nice and dare I say, kinda sweet to see. :D

Another small yet powerful scene with Yuka and Azeneth, I fully understand everything that Yuka is going through and of course she knows in heart of hearts that she will never fail Azeneth, Coulter, Yisüi and Jinora. It'll take time of course it will, but she'll be able to say those words to them at some point......Yuka won't fail them, just like they will never fail her :D

Of course, it's been a while since we've seen some Pakal soldiers getting mugged for their armours, let's go. 8-)

Haha, I see that during that little skirmish Yuka was lucky enough to get two of the soldiers to show her their bums as they so graciously slumped to the floor, bums right up in the air. :lol:

That entire scene was fantastic. :D

I really did enjoy that scene with Yuka and Young-Yuka, we all know that this won't change Yuka's reality when she returns to her home world, but at least she can have the knowledge that in this world, she HAS saved BOTH Tsuki and Hinata, she has NOT failed them at all, all three of them will continue to be friends forever more in this universe..........Damn, that really was a beautiful scene. :D

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhh you cheeky devil you did it........You managed to get me all misty eyed and made me quickly wipe my eyes with my sleeve......The bit where Yuka just gave in and asked her friends for help while crying her eyes out really hit home for me and the fact that her friends immediately reassured her and cuddled her, really made me feel the emotions then.........Damn it, I don't how you do it, but wow I love this series. :D

The ending itself was so beautiful, just wow. It was SO spectacular, truly, TRULY a work of art that only you could provide. :D

Well this chapter was just non-stop perfection, right from the start, it just screamed perfection, this was so well done, so superb, I loved the story, loved the characters, loved the USB scenes naturally........Just simply WOW! And I mean that too, I always think I can't possibly love this series anymore, then bang, you give me a new chapter and I love the series more and more, it's such a great feeling, I know this whole chapter was kind of like a redemption arc for Yuka and it was just a joy seeing her go through her ups, down, highs and lows and well as I said, that ending.......Aaahhh the feels and the emotions. It was just SO good, seriously........this series is perfection and I will never have anyone say anything otherwise. :D
tirepanted3

Post by tirepanted3 »

Wow, those villagers are... not the brightest of people. :) Yelling very loudly while hunting fugitives is not the best way to keep your position a secret or listen for movement. I almost feel bad for them, since they're clearly quite dumb and were thus very easily incapacitated. :lol:

Still, it was fun watching them get taken out one by one. I liked the different descriptions of the women - seems to have been inspired by Mesoamerican cultures - and the slow build as their numbers quickly diminish, until the last one just faints outright.

Not a very plot-heavy installment, but it moved well, and had some good character moments between Yuka and Coulter, as well as a few scenes with Young Yuka. The use of time-travel is another storytelling layer that could have made the story feel convoluted, but it thankfully did not get too much in the way of the ongoing plot or characters. And it wasn't used enough to the point that it would disrupt the timeline and change history, which could have made things really confusing. :)

It was refreshing to see Pakal troops return - it felt like old times, watching the heroes mugging soldiers for their uniforms. :lol: Great descriptions and takedown, and I enjoyed the detail of the heroes purchasing the sleeping potion for use on the soldiers.

Return to “Stories by Rufusluciusivan”