Who'd be a 3D artist in this day and age?

Announcements & General Discussion
Void99

Who'd be a 3D artist in this day and age?

Post by Void99 »

(sigh).....how times have changed. I thought things would have gotten better over time.
They sure seem like they have on a technical level, but it's become very expensive and EXTREMELY demanding on the technology front.
Take a look at this:
https://www.deviantart.com/niteshade99/ ... -850308806

1 hour and 13 minutes it took to render that 484x569 picture. It almost killed my PCs CPU. It actually sounded like it was in pain!
This is with no background props, no clothing items and no lighting effects.
Because if I added any of those things, or even tried to render the image at a bigger resolution.....my PC would completely crash. In fact it does semi crash when rendering...can't search the web or bring up any other windows while it's rendering.

I been a long time out the loop when it comes to these 3D software programs. Doesn't seem like Poser is the neatest thing anymore...in fact it hasn't been for a few years now.
I mean it still exists....but it's been heavily relegated. You will seldom find much new content being produced for it on places like Daz 3D and Renderosity. Once a haven for Poser content.

Seems like Daz 3D have really stepped up and branched out on their own to make Daz Studio the hot thing.
The good news is that it's totally FREE!!!!! Heck even the latest Genesis 8 female and male base characters are free.
The bad news.....you need an absolute MONSTER POWERHOUSE of a PC to render good quality scenes.

My PC specs are an utter joke:
Processor: AMD E2-7110 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 logical processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB

According to the pros ....you need at least a powerful i7 processor with an Nvidia RTX 2080 GPU with 8GB of VRAM.
Probably looking at about $2000 in US currency. And even then....this is just to get it to an average standard of functionality.

So frustrating that it requires so much power and cash. I mean....Daz Studio even has animation capabilities ......but even people with $4000+ PCs say it takes them about 50-60 hours to render a 7 second animation....an animation against a plain white background.

Going to be a long long time before this sort of potential gets any easier and accessible.
darth chlorophorm 2

Re: Who'd be a 3D artist in this day and age?

Post by darth chlorophorm 2 »

I downloaded Daz3-D over the last several years and frankly it was just to damn complicated for me to understand.
I really don't know how you 3-D artist do it. It all seems so difficult.
With the problems I've been experiencing with my hand and not being able to draw, I really wish I could use one of these 3-D Rendering type programs.
Good luck with your efforts, Void. The new pic does look wonderful though.
soundman

Post by soundman »

I don't know the price of computer in your country, but the computer I use now has less than 800 DOLLARS converted to US dollars, and rendering your kind of pictures only takes 6 minutes. I think your computer configuration is a little inappropriate. The fact that you can render images with a little bit of precision depending on your computer, as well as model selection (Genesis 2 renders at less than 1/6th the speed of Genesis 8), you only need a hard drive big enough to install enough models.
soundman

Post by soundman »

darth chlorophorm 2 wrote:I downloaded Daz3-D over the last several years and frankly it was just to damn complicated for me to understand.
I really don't know how you 3-D artist do it. It all seems so difficult.
With the problems I've been experiencing with my hand and not being able to draw, I really wish I could use one of these 3-D Rendering type programs.
Good luck with your efforts, Void. The new pic does look wonderful though.
The truth is that if you just want to make simple pictures, it's not complicated at all, you just have to choose the right mannequin, give it the right action, and then use the right lens to wanc
slainplus

Post by slainplus »

I used to set the lens of my camera in Poser 5 to a focal length of 50 mm and found that this has the effect of making the models look a little plumper :P
With Poser 11 I found 95 mm focal length gives similiar the same effect--which helps gives the skinny bitch Jessie in Poser 11 a little bit more of a figure :twisted:

Return to “General Discussion”