Where do we go from here ?

Announcements & General Discussion
redrunner

Where do we go from here ?

Post by redrunner »

I have been following the thread about piracy of John’s work with some interest. I suspect that once again we find ourselves at a crossroad with this community.

Quote from Noochy - “There's a difference between hiding shit, and using tact. Especially, since this goon opened the thread with "private message" for you.”
Nice choice of words for describing someone who has stepped in to help John protect his livelihood. BTW, is that the same John who stepped in himself and hosted the USB when no one else would. ? And what’s more he’s left us to get on with it and not asked for anything in return.

And is it not the fact that these content thieves are stealing his work from the same server that hosts this forum ? . What is it “Bite the hand that feeds you”.
Why oh why does some self centred cretin, or in this case cretins, always feel the need to press the self destruct button on our community ?

Quote from John “It seems this is a year for change......”
Put yourselves in John’s position. What does he do from here on in ? I’m guessing he’s counting to ten before deciding, but with extremely helpful comments like those above I strongly suspect he will call it a day on this forum if we’re not very careful.

The question is a simple one – where do we go from here ? Anyone got any ideas ?

Quite frankly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EUytEX_XkE

Redrunner
Mr. Peaky Blinder

Re: Where do we go from here ?

Post by Mr. Peaky Blinder »

When I started reading about what had happened a couple of days ago, I was truly shocked and felt physically sick. John has done so much for our genre only to have members systematically steal his work in return.

John has my total support as always and I know every honest and responsible member of this board agrees with me.

I dont use D.I.P personally, but we should all stick together and respect what John and D.I.P has done for our genre. So, principles above all else. I'm fully behind John on this.

Can other members please speak up?
johnboy12
Site Admin

Post by johnboy12 »

Redrunner, sincere thanks for you post, it's hugely appreciated.

Pekyblinder, thanks you for you thoughts as well, they too, are hugely appreciated.

I'm not sure where we go from here but closing this place down is something I have spoken to RR about. It could still happen, in fact, it most likely will. I'm fed up with people, well, taking the piss. It's a British saying but I'm sure it works in all languages.

There are protectors of this community, RR, ES and keepitfivestar... and for those that call these people 'goons' ...jog on.

There are legal matters ongoing in relation to this and if youve been here...and there...and shared....we have your details and you can expect a letter..

If you like this forum, want this forum, now is the time to speak up....otherwise, what the hell is the bloody point. Lets shut this shit down!
esercito sconfitto

Post by esercito sconfitto »

I don’t have any idea

John, I am deeply sorry

I can understand your bitterness

Neither the slow agony of the Runboard ‘old’ USB board ( many weeks of useless diplomacy with the Runboard staff) nor the sudden closure of the Zetaboard prepared me to this moment; in many regards, this situation is far worse; this time there is the personal shame of mine

Like Mr Peakyblinder, I feel sick from days. I helped to create the tool ( this board ) that has been used to offend the very same person who gave us the possibility to survive as a board and community

I feel shame for what happened . It’s exactlely like Redrunner wrote. John protected the board ,allowed it to revive , (and- maybe nobody noticed- but the actual board is far better of any previous one,for many reasons); and what in return? Not gratitude, but a direct , real threat to his livelihood, by some members of this board

I feel the need to apologize for the behavior of some members of the board

Despite all the time and efforts I put in building up the USB board, I am willing to support John in his final decision of shutting up the board. At least it will heal the shame

PS:This said, I feel the need to argue in favor of the rude but very honest Noochy. When I did read the very first post by keepitfivestar, I almost fell from my chair, not just because of the news, but because of the link.A direct hot link to all the DIP clips stolen , ready to be downloaded; an immediate danger

There something that must be explained; it’s an Internet phenomenon or rule called ‘Streisand effect’ ( see here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect ) . Regardless how much damage the’sharing gang’ provoked, the link posted by Keepitfivestar, the link in itself , causes a multiplication of the same damage ( like from 10 to 1,000, and worse). That’s why I immediately begged John to shut up the link before all; for hours I was about to write ( with obviously different words) exactely what Noochy wrote;namely, the PM’ feature is to prevent damages caused by a public display .

in my humble opinion, Keepitfivestar did the right thing... but in a way that is too dangerous

as of now, I am ready to resign as moderator, waiting for the decisions of John
redrunner

Post by redrunner »

Esercito,
There is no need for you to apologise. If there is a second victim of this sad affair then it's you. You have done far more than anyone to make this board a success. Quite frankly, without you and your effort this board would not exist. You must feel equally let down by those responsible.

I can say that I honestly feel for you, and how upset you must be.

I'm not sure, but I am inclined to think that the link was deliberately left open by John to assist his tech support team do their work. You will have seen it was closed by John himself after a day or so.

Those responsible will now reap their reward. John is so upset that litigation will almost certainly follow this time.

I can certainly assure you that John in no way considers that you are personally responsible for the actions of those people.

Although several of them are members here, I also have a strong feeling that much of their sharing activity occurred away from this board

Very Best Regards

Redrunner
Daveyjonesagain

Post by Daveyjonesagain »

I think the pragmatic thing to do would be to ban all the members who are potential threats, assume greater vigilance, and keep this board open. If not, then allow us a moment to properly relocate to a future site before you shut this one down.
esercito sconfitto

Daveyjonesagain, long time friend, this time there is no plan B

this was our last stand ; this time 'we' destroyed it by ourselves :(
johnboy12
Site Admin

Post by johnboy12 »

ES, I have made no decisions on the future of this forum as yet.

I am hoping a lot more of the community speak up and let their feeling be known, whatver they may be. If the overwhelming feeling is that there is a basic right to share content, then I'm afraid I cant support that and this place will have to find another home.

If the majority feel it's worth supporting producers and pruchasing content thats suits their tastes as opposed to sharing it, then we should all be open to ideas as to how we keep this place going and back prodcuers to work to film content that fits the steal genre.

cheers
John
redrunner

Post by redrunner »

I must say that I'm truly amazed by the level of support that you've received John.

Not to put too fine a point on it, out of 353 so called registered members you've received positive support from so many that you can count them on the fingers of one hand ! And that's not to mention several who's comments could be considered to be in support of the activities of the so called sharers - I prefer to call them thieves.

I think that tells you all you need to know.
esercito sconfitto

Redrunner, I have just read the last 'deviation ' of yours at the DA page, this one

https://criswas7.deviantart.com/art/Pro ... -746760677

..and this is one of the saddest things I have ever found at Deviantart; and it affected me personally; one thing is being informed about generic 'damages ' caused by the actions of some members of this board , another thing is seeing the actual projects cancelled.

It's so saddening, and I am losing my mind trying to figure out the way to solve the issue; in my humble opinion the lack of comments at the request of Johnboy is disrespectful, but the solution lies beyond this. People lie. Maybe some culprits can be the first ones to declare support...

I don't know what is the way; if THIS board causes direct financial losses and is a nest of hypocrite thieves and enemies of the very same person who is paying the bill... then the board should be shut down, or 'locked' , remaining like a sort of dead library or archive
But even this solution can't keep this from recurring, especially if the 'sharing gang ' is composed of former USB members ( at least one who left the old board five or six years ago )

Return to “General Discussion”